Lux 9 pre 1915

Discussion in 'Lux' started by kaw550red, Dec 22, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Optimus bought Lux in 1914 so it is safe to say that it was made before 1915.

Whilst Optimus do not appear to have made any Lux models they did use the Lux dimpled spirit cup and the Lux shaped legs on at least the 00s and the dimpled spirit cup on other models.

Optimus stoves with these features cannot have been made before 1914 unless the spirit cup or legs are later replacements.

The dimple can just be seen at the left of the spirit cup.

The leg identification information is HERE

1261504293-lux_ass_opt.jpg

1261504305-Lux_flame_opt.jpg

1261504324-Lux_pack_2_opt.jpg

Regards Bryan

2. jenspetter 123

Hi Bryan

Lux made great stoves. :lol: I have got a Lux 13 if I remember correct. A little bit bigger than your nr 9.

Regards

Jens

3. hikin_jim

Bryan,

Are you familiar with the purpose of the dimple in the spirit cup? I'm assuming that one would position the tube on one's spirit dispenser into the dimple so as to facilitate dispensing the meths, but I wonder if there is any other reason.

HJ

4. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Jim

The idea was very simple. The dimple still contained spirit when the rest of the cup had burned out so there was a flame to light the burner when you pumped the stove up. The problem that I noticed was that by the time the spirit had burned to the bottom of the cup the metal was really hot and the spirit was boiling so you had to be quick to take advantage of the residual flame. I presume that this was a general problem as the idea was dropped I think at some time in the 1930s

Regards Bryan

5. stejar

Hi Bryan!
    A real beauty you have there. It’s always a pleasure to see one of those old brands.

Is that a Lux filler cap? I was not aware of Lux using that model. I have seen it on Optimus and Prisma stoves, but not on Lux. I could be that the use of those filler caps on Optimus is another consequence of Optimus taking over the stove part of the Lux Company.
    Regards Stefan

6. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

Hi Stefan & Jim

The tank lid was a Lux tank lid

Jim Providing that the dimpled spirit cup is original your stove could have been made before 1914 and is unlikely to have been made later than the 1930s. Unfortunately whilst I think it finished in the 1930s I have no idea when it was dropped

Is the address on the tank Stockholm or Uplands Vasby? Stockholm was the earlier address and Upplands Vasby came in sometime near the middle 1930s.

What is written on the top of the burner?

The markings on the tank are a much more reliable indication of age as owners cannot change them.

00s were never fitted with aluminium legs so you probably have a set from an RM, Thermidor or Veritas stove. They were perfectly safe. In fact my special stoves are usually fitted with aluminium legs to reduce their weight. It was an idea created in the UK after WW2 because steel was in very short supply whereas there was a glut of aluminium because it was no longer needed for war planes
    {admin - moved to new thread}
    Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Quite possibly a consequence - Lux did that style, a flat version & a winged version that I am aware off. The first 2 I have, the winged I have seen in the catalogue (on site).

It's good to clarify that Optimus did not take over AB Lux.

From Optimus article;

8. Riddarn

Hi guys..

I have an idea about the "dimpled cup"..

Isn´t it for the pilotlight, so that it will take the last remains of the spirit,
    so that the lighting will be nice, without disturbing underburning"?

Best regards, and a very merry Christmas..

I am just in the process of making a Christmas ham,
    a.k.a "Julskinka"

Uffe

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber