1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M1941? date 1944

Discussion in 'Military' started by nmp, Jan 8, 2016.

1. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I found this recently not sure if it's 41 or a 42.
    The funnel,original fuel cap and tools were missing but it's in pretty good condition.

I stripped the burner right down and replaced the graphite seals with new made from graphite tape from Fettlebox.

I was looking for an NRV Pip to replace having done some research on the forum but discovered the ball bearing and locking pump seal arrangement.

I should add that it's got a brass tank three legs and is marked US Coleman 1944.

The container is painted and corroded and the whole thing has a used feel about it which I like.
    I may clean the container so it could be used for cooking.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

nHard to say on the date. That is a Coleman design 520 stove. The Coleman manufactured stoves had 4 legs and used brass and stainless steel for the tanks. AGM also manufactured the same stove only with a Brass tank and 3 legs. Brass tanks were painted green and have the same label. But the valve is different than the Coleman manufactured stove. Threads are of a different pitch. AGM brass tanks had a flaw in manufacturing that caused the tank to develop vertical fractures. Coleman Valve body also had a patent or part number, AGM did not. There were only 1000 of these Coleman stoves made in 1941 and they had steel tanks. Brass were made in 1942 and during the remainder of the war. It is unlikely that AGM continued to produce any more after the end of the war as it was a Coleman patent. The date on the stove only Shows the date it was manufactured not its classifacation. Id be willing to say this is a 520 pocket stove of the M1942 class and manufactured in 1944 by AGM (American Gas and Machine ) However, some of these stoves were produced in the UK after the war ended. Seems Coleman had a plant in the U.K.

What has puzzled me is that if only 1000 of the Coleman stoves were made in 1941 then when did that happen ? After Dec 7th 1941 ? And were those considered as M1941 520 stove rather than an M1942 520?

AGM manufactured M1942, 3 Legged

agmmilstove 520.jpg

Coleman 4 legged

coleman520stovesopendegroff.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi Hercl, thought you might like to know these 520s were also manufactured in Belgium in 1945. Both Tracer and I have one, and I've seen another one but can't remember who owns it. The info on the stove is in french.

Best regards,

Wim

4. HercL4D2

M1942
    I did not know that. Looks like we Americans left a lot of stuff in Europe. Looks like old man Coleman got around.

I found a site that shows COLEMAN M1941 SQUAD STOVE, dated 1944 and never been lit.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...1263-stoves-m1941-m1942-sing-dbl-burners-etc/

I suppose I will have to post my M1942 AGM 520 Frankie stove that had a vertical cracked brass tank.

5. nmp

Hi hercl and Wim.
    Thanks for more background .

This one is marked is in fact marked Coleman and has a patent number on the valve body so a Coleman manufactured stove ? Dated 1944.

Nick

6. HercL4D2

Yep just like this one. A 3 legged Coleman with numbers on the valve body. U.K. made?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...1263-stoves-m1941-m1942-sing-dbl-burners-etc/

This is the first time I have been made aware of a 3 legged NON AGM Coleman stove with patent numbers on the Valve Body. You may have found a holy Grail.

7. nmp

Where is the date usually on the container? Reading other posts and the link you sent they were dated as well?

I did find a set of instructions for this type of stove but passed them on to Shagratork as I did not have this type at the time! Maybe I will ask him to scan them for me now.
    Nick

8. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

I have a 4 leg Coleman 520, its date stamped on the side of the font, never noticed a date on the canister
    Jan

9. HercL4D2

Some of the containers have no dates on them. Some of the stoves were packaged and shipped without containers. The date on the container normally is not tied to the date of the stove. The container date will normally be on the smaller of the 2 containers, the top one. These stoves have generally been handled by an assortment of people and containers were obtained some time later. My containers for the 520 have no dates.

10. nmp

Just found the date of the bottom of the larger part of the pot. Marked

US C M MFG.CO 1944

So it matches the stove!

Nick

11. nmp

12. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

mine only has the top canister, its held on by spring clips on the uprights
    Jan

13. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Do these beasties have steel or brass bases?

Alec.