m1942 made by Aladdin dated 1944

Discussion in 'Military' started by Matukat, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

The "one I didn't have" landed in my lap today!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

No spares, but the wrench came with it and by the look of it, a pump leather may be all that's needed. :content: :content: 1286486256-DSCI0001_opt.jpg 1286486266-DSCI0007_opt.jpg 1286486279-DSCI0008_opt.jpg
    The last picture should show the stamp on the burner surround. It says;
    U.S.
    Aladdin
    :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. toonsgt

He shoots, he scores!!!! 15 bucks? Great deal! If you need the little knob, I made some out of some squared off hardwood beads. They work well and look near original. Let me know if you want one, and I'll send it to you.

A wheel model just went on evilbay for 76 dollars.

Mike

3. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Thank you Mike! I will send a PT if I can't find something around here to use. Crap! Wheel model? I think I've seen 'em, but I thought I was getting close to having 1 of each military pocket stove. Now there's another one... :shock: ](*,) ;) :lol: :lol:

4. toonsgt

This one. It actually went for 71 plus 10 to ship.

1286487945-M1942_wheel_model.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Knight84

What a find!!! :clap: :mrgreen:

I have a spare clip for the side piller

I wish I knew about that wheel model on ebay. ](*,) :x :doh:

Jeff

6. Russ in California

Feel lucky about the 2 Aladdin 1944 M1942 I found for $4US each with the 2 pot set up(Mountain Kit style) though I'd dearly love to have one with the upright 'canister'. Pretty cool little stove.
    8)

7. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Ooooh.. ](*,)

Ok, what is the wheel for? I don't quite get it, unless the "wheel" is an adjustment for the burner feed?
    Jeff! What do you need in trade for your extra "extras" container?

I've got the m1941, now the 1942 "10th division Mountain Stove" ( although the "mountain stove" name was given to the 1941 ( Ernie Pyle stove? or did it HAVE to be the early nickel plate to be an Ernie Pyle? ) and the m1950 "Viet Nam"? or Korea? era stove. Mine is a Rogers, thank you Lance!
    More details?

8. toonsgt

The wheel is the fuel control valve and cleaning needle in one. Similar in function to the main knob on a Coleman suitcase. Not so similar in design though.

Not sure the real reason for the design change but it would make sense from a spare parts and standard operations standpoint. The wheel also APPEARS much more difficult to manufacture if it's machined.

This stove was designed by Bestor Robinson, of Sierra Club fame, for the 10th Mountain Division. What's odd, is that while he was with the Army, he was awarded a patent for this DURING the war(1944) only 2 years after he applied for it. Boyd Tullis, of Coleman, wasn't awarded a patent for his 520/M1941 until 1946, over 4 years after his application. The 1941 was evidently too heavy for the mountain troops. Not sure how hot that wheel gets when running either. I think the wheel may have been better if you were wearing mittens too. I think Lance has one or two of these, so he's better qualified to give a hands on evaluation.

Russ, I'll trade a canister for a mountain cook kit.

Mike

9. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Thanks for the info Mike! No extra canisters, sorry. Same flea market where I stumbled on this stove has had a beaten up mtn. cookset at a different booth for the last six months. The seller wants 8 bucks ( IIRC ) and the set is pretty beat down. Too beat down for me to go for it.

The info about the patent grants is bizarre. Somebody was playing "favorites"!!!

10. toonsgt

Bestor Robinson also patented what became the Coleman 523 dual burner medical stove.

What a crafty mountain man...

FWIW

Mike

11. Russ in California

Eh? :D/
    8)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015