M1942 stove.....silver solder or weld?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Mycroft Groks, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Mycroft Groks United States

I recently picked up an m1942 stove in great condition minus for the fount not holding air/fuel. The seam between the bottom and sides of the fount is broken. Is it better to silver solder this or weld it. A buddy of mine can do either. All the parts are there and all extras were in the pump. The outer part of the pump may need to be replaced as it's slightly bent. Everything else looks fantastic.

Picture shows the problem.

Attach35213_20200402_194958.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Mycroft Groks
    Take a look at my post HERE where I’d the same problem. In that thread @Murph spoke of a very useful alternative braze metal - nickel silver - to the silbraze I used.

3. Mycroft Groks United States

Thank you sir!

4. dwarfnebula

dwarfnebula United States Subscriber

The lantern guys have had very good luck using caswell gas tank sealer epoxy to seal stress cracks and rust pinholes. I would probably try that before welding or brazing, as it presents no risk of introducing stress which might later cause a crack.

5. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

I am strongly in the camp that says caswell's, POR15 and any of the other epoxy or liquid coatings are not safe methods of repairing a pressurized fount. None of those products are designed for pressure vessels. Using one of these products gives you a false sense of security. Especially with a GPA that uses Coleman Fuel or any gasoline like fuel a fount failure under pressure while lit would be catastrophic. If someone is near the GPA when that happens the injury or even death can be the result. Is it worth putting yourself or your loved ones at risk? What about the poor bugger who gets it after you pass it on who doesn't know he's working with a compromised fount?

"I've done several founts this way. Never had a problem." Yet.

Welding, brazing or even soldering is a whole different proposition.

rant off.

6. Mycroft Groks United States

I'm not going to use it until it's either soldered or welded. It's not structural sound right now and no epoxy or sealant will work at this point. After, if it wasn't stainless, then I'd coat it.

7. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Using epoxy to trap debris that won't clean out of a fount is fine. I regularly use West System two-part epoxy to coat the bottom of a fount to prevent fine debris from clogging the fuel pickup. Using epoxy to deal with stress cracks or rust pinhole is building a time bomb.

8. pyro_P Australia

IMO, dismantle fount, wash out with hot soapy water, dry, have buddy re-tig weld the seam crack.

9. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

It's obvious that "Welding, brazing or even soldering" can and does fail too. See pictures and links.
    GPA's leak and fail no matter how they are put together, if you want to be truly safe NEVER light them.

I have sealed quite a few fonts with POR15 with excellent results. And as mentioned above, have used it on fonts that had a rust issue to help control debris. YMMV

10. Mycroft Groks United States

I do intend on sealing it after its welded.