M1950, breeding like rabbits!

Discussion in 'Military' started by Wim, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi all, a few months ago, I bought a second M1950. As has been mentioned before on this forum, stoves tend to breed! And indeed, I now have 3 of these :D/ .
    The first 2 ones are Coleman's, made in 1952 and sitting in a Rogers & Akront 1952 canister. Now, N°3 is also made in 1952 but this time by Rogers & Akront! Its canister is also an R & A 1952 one. There are 2 differences, the canister of the R & A stove has "US" added above the name, the others haven't. Both Colemans come in a shiny darkish green, the R & A is matte green. My first M1950 came without spanner, the R & A came with 2 :content: so now all 3 have their own spanner O:) .
    All three were unfired, so I decided it was time to light at least one of them... Only thing needed was to replace the seal in the pumpknob as it had completely hardened by age.
    1301516339-P2170003_opt.jpg 1301516362-P2170005_opt.jpg 1301516396-P2170002_opt.jpg

The middle canister has US above the name & year, not easy to see in the photo, sorry!

Now, time to go to the outdoor kitchen (needs a good clean after a long winter :oops: )
    Come on baby, light my fire!
    1301516568-P2170006_opt.jpg 1301516597-P2170008_opt.jpg

And gentlemen, this was when my batteries ran out of juce! :roll: Never mind, we'll come back later with fresh batteries and less light O:)
    1301516738-P1010009_opt.jpg

And after the priming; loverly flame shots :D/ :content:
    1301516824-P1010010_opt.jpg 1301516849-P1010011_opt.jpg

Imediatelly after shut-off:
    1301516901-P1010012_opt.jpg

Hope you liked these ;)

All the best,

Wim

P.S., forgot to mention, these stoves burn very hot, or not! Only positions are full blast and off :roll: ;) .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. klausvader

klausvader Subscriber

woow that beauty! long ago are in my sights! congratulations very good stoves! :thumbup:
    I love the military stoves.
    Regards!

3. davidcolter

Try lighting it up and under the windshield where the spanner goes. This lights off the priming cup which will have plenty of fuel in after a six second priming squirt. I found that three seconds as suggested by the instructions was never enough to get the stove running properly.

4. hikin_jim

Nice flame shots!

HJ

5. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Wim,

I've got a 1950(year) M1950 R&A. It is fired and with all the accessories. One thing that I would highly recommend is that you check the NRV(non-return valve) aka pip. You will have nothing but solid reliable service out of these stoves. They are built to last and rugged as the day is long. They are built to get bounce and trounced in all manner by the G.I. and still do their intended job. Keep an eye on the pump rod. If it eases out one millimeter get that pip before it gets you. White gas is too volatile to play games with.

Get into the mountains and get us some action shots next. You'll have a great time with your classic stove.

AR

6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Indeed, the first time I followed the 3-sec ritual, and opened the fuel when the pre-heat flames were dying. Lots of yellow flame, rather spectacular! For the second prime, I opened the tap 4-5 seconds and got bleu flames almost imediatelly after warm-up.

Regards,

Wim

7. marblecreek

marblecreek Subscriber

Nice photos and neat stoves.

Steve

8. Chef BC

I bought two of these last year and sold them on E/B, I figured I was done with military stoves. =; Now I have two again and a 3rd in the dealings. :whistle: Great stoves but can be dangerous like Hikin' Jim says! :p

9. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I'd love to do that AR, but there are no mountains where I live! We call a mole-hill a mountain over here :whistle: :lol: My street name is Stuivenbergstraat, if there were no dikes to keep the river at bay, this would be "dry land". So much for our "mountains" :D/ :lol:

Take care,

Wim

PS., next time I light this one, I will try meths for priming, might do away with flares :-k

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. Sparky

I like how these stove provide a free fireworks show before you eat. GI entertainment.

11. Chef BC

Wim,
    You might try alcohol for priming, the same type that is used in Trangia stoves. No soot, but you may already know this. :D
    Chef BC

12. Wim

Wim Subscriber

While working on a 2-burner stove this evening, I decided to try priming the M1950 with methanol. Works like a charm! :D/ :content: No flares, and as soon as the methanol is burned away, the stove goes to full blast (with a nice bleu flame) immediately. Ok, it does mean one has to carry some meths but that is not a real problem I feel.

Regards,

Wim

13. kerry

wim :thumbup:
    very nice.
    i must be honest, i do quite like these.
    they remind me of something ? like half a coleman and half something else.
    nice flame pics too.

kez