M1950 from 1981

Discussion in 'Military' started by hydro451, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hydro451

M1950 SMP from 1981, looks unused. Anybody know what
    SMP stands for ? Cheers Tom

1235057824-m1950back.jpg 1235057797-m1950.jpg 1235057845-m1950instructions.jpg 1235057863-m1950burner.jpg 1235057881-m1950date.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Bom Bom Bom Bom

That's a nice clean (or well fettled?) example that includes the often missing spares clip-on container and the spanner. Were you lucky enough to score the spares in the clip and those also contained in the pump rod tube?

These are nice stoves that work very well.

3. hydro451

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the compliment - stove is 100% un-touched, just as bought - includes all spares, including extras in pump - it was a buy-it-now for US$55.00 , so couldn't resist

Do you know what SMP stands for ?

Cheers Tom

4. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Sweet deal Tom!
    Here's a list of 130 things "SMP" could stand for:
    http://www.all-acronyms.com/SMP
    I'll leave it to you to wade through and find the one that fits.... :-)
    -edit-.... I couldn't find it! Something like "standard military product" or something like that comes to mind, (product doesn't quite sound right) but..... just guessing... Lance? bet he knows!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. hydro451

Matukat

hey maybe Submarine Modernization Program ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Tom

6. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

I know... none of them seem to fit!

7. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Tom, These stoves were made by various manufacturers to a standard specification. Whilst not being intimately familiar with all the US manufacturers I suspect SMP is one of them? I've got a couple of these. I know one is even manufactured by Bialaddin in the UK, and I think my other might be an SMP same as yours (haven't got it in front of me at the moment). I'm sure someone from the US will have better knowledge on this than me and can confirm or educate.

My Bialaddin example has all the same bits of yours plus the original cardboard box (although it's not very exciting - just plain cardboard!). However it also came with what I assume to be a group spares kit (there's probably a specific US army expression for the size of "group"). This is an aluminium tube that contains several smaller tubes that each contains a complete spares kit for an individual stove.

8. itchy

Hi all, sorta new here but I think it is State Machine Products. I think these were made in a Tennessee prison.

9. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi itchy, Welcome aboard.

Now you've mentioned that I think I might have heard someone state that before. Adds some additional interest to the stove!

10. Rick b

SMP State Machine Products was an American brand.
    (from The Stove collector website). Based on the Rogers model

11. hydro451

Thanks all, prison- ware uh ? Interesting to say the least

Graham,have you got pics of the "group spares kit" ?love to see it and what I am missing - thanks

Cheers Tom

12. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Hi Tom,

I'll try to get some pics over the weekend.

I'm not sure you're actually missing anything from your stove kit as issued.

My suspicion is that the "group" spares kit was a separate issue to the stove and I was just lucky enough that they had happened to be thrown in the box alongside the particular stove I acquired.

The standard stove actually contains a pretty good spares collection and is self contained as such. Hence why I think this might be a separate issue for topping up the standard spares located around the stove as they were consumed in the field. Just my theory!

13. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

14. hydro451

Matukat,

so does this mean my stove was probably not made in prison ? I was hoping it was now, to add to the mystique of the stove

Tom

15. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Oh no, I don't think it means that at all. If they were being made in prisons in the south, it might well mean they (the products in general) are STILL being made in prisons in the south. Prison labor. Not a pretty thing. They get paid 12 cents a day in Colorado State Prisons, last I knew.

That's what I meant when I said I'm usually happy to see a business last a long time. This would be the exception.

16. Bom Bom Bom Bom

I can't see too many US tax payers having an issue with that. You've got crims banged up so may as well keep them occupied and for those that have never done it before, introduce them to the concept of actually working. They are producing items that the US Government would normally have to pay commercial rates for. Wins all round as far as I can see - Taxpayer, Government, Crims are occupied, and the prison staff have less issues with occupied "customers".

17. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Private prisons have proliferated here and are the biggest offenders when it comes to humanitarian issues.

The Colorado Department of Corrections lost a law suit brought against them for using religious dietary requirements as a punishment. If an inmate who was on a kosher diet (jewish, muslim, etc.) had not performed as desired, the system would stop supplying the kosher food and leave them with only what the general population were receiving. I find that equivalent to poisoning or drugging someone.

My oldest son made a big mistake right after turning 21 years old. He stole a police car while being arrested, drove it away in handcuffs. He served 6 years in Colorado prisons, 5 of that in a "private prison". The food in the private "for profit" prisons is the cheapest shit they can find. The state has almost regularly had to police the private prisons to prevent lawsuits and rioting due to the terrible fashion in which they are run.

My son has his own business now and just took an option to buy a house. He is doing well. I am just glad he survived the prison system. There was a horrible riot at the prison he spent most of his sentence in. He happened to be in his cell at the time it started and was he was wise enough to stay there and not get involved. The causes of the riot were the food and conditions.

I have no bleeding heart idea that prison should be soft, kind, gentle or easy. It is punishment. I have a BIG problem with it being inhumane, cruel and exploitive. In Colorado, they have been shown to be all of those things in recent history, and all the while the state promotes it self as "progressive" in it's correction programs.

http://mediafilter.org/caq/Prison.html

18. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi all: The State Machine Products Co. is located in Dry Ridge Ky. and manufactures stoves, mess kits etc. for the U.S. government. Mike...

19. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Uh, yeah, that's what the link I posted earlier says. Doesn't say if they now or ever used prison labor though.

20. hydro451

Hi all, further research shows that the State Machine products Co (SMP) was aquired by the Alpha Manufacturing Group (AMG), a wholely owned subsidiary of Alpha SolarCo, Inc, in 1992. AMG, aquired SMP because evidently all the manufacturing facilities and materials at SMP fit into Alpha Solarco's solar energy main focus. No mention of prison labor although Tom