M1950 in Viet Nam?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Lantern, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Lantern

Recently obtained a M1950 Rogers 1966. Picked it up on a lark as I served in an Army Infantry unit in VN in 1966-67. However, I never saw a M1950 while there. Like every field guy I've talked to C4 was the C ration heater of the day. On a couple of occasions, good old GI skeeter repellent acted as fuel when soaked into the C-rat peanut butter. I've been wondering if or where the M1950 was used in VN. What kind of unit or branch of service? Military stove of that era but ever really used ? Anyone here happen to have knowledge of this? Thanks

2. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

+1 on c rat can with a chunk of C4 for fuel. Only stove I ever saw in the bush of Quang Nam province.

3. Lantern

I'm wondering now if the M1950 was conspicuous by it's lack of presence.

4. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

I know several friends who were in the US Army, in Viet Nam, in field areas / combat, and none ever saw a M1950. They also spoke of using C4 as a cooking fuel. It's a mystery about the use / non-use of the M1950. Perhaps the Army decided not to issue the stove. One friend said he carried 7 - 8 canteens with him in the field and filled them at every opportunity, and others have mentioned carrying as much ammunition as they could carry.

Paul

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    [From a discussion in January 2017. (My brother was there with the Australian army)].

The full thread is here:

Vietnam Combat Stoves

Cheers

Tony

6. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Thanks, Tony. That thread is worth a re-read.

7. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

When I was in the National Guard, I saw no stoves like that at all, and no other stoves for that matter except the field ranges. We usually got the parts that trickled over but nothing. When I joined in 1983 we still had the OD green uniforms. If people had individual stoves they bought them themselves.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

So, if the US Government bought the stoves:
    Where did they go?
    And ..
    Who got to use them?

9. William Ritchie

Had buddies that were stationed in Alaska and Germany in the 70s and 80s that said they used the M-1950 on maneuvers . Mountain warfare units in cold areas I guess . When I was young I can remember one of my uncles using the first of this type I had ever seen on hunting trips . He brought it back from Korea or at least thats what he told us kids. Just a thought . WR

10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Just a couple years ago I bought 4 brand new M-1950s, all dating from 1952 and coming from different sellers in Belgium. So, they must have been in Europe (but clearly never handed out to soldiers). I have no idea how many were made, but the newest ones date from the 1980s. So, some must have seen service other than maneuvers?

11. Lantern

That's interesting WR, I was stationed in Alaska 1965 and never saw a M1950 there either.

12. anlrolfe

Armor and mechanized artillery carried some of these if IIRC.
    Probably Motor-T as well because after all, "if you can't truck-it, f$#@-it".

13. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Not military, but the M1950 was used on the US attempt on K2 in 1953, as chronicled in the book K2 The Savage Mountain, by Charles Houston and Robert Bates. This account refers to the stove only as the "Army mountain stove", but a drawing of it in use by expedition member Dee Molenaar leaves little doubt that it was the M1950.

I was sure I had left a "Stoves in Literature" entry for this book many years ago, but I can't seem to find it now.

....Arch

14. Lantern

A Rolfe, the armor and mechanized artillery I can get but damn if I can recall, if ever knew, what the IIRC represents. I was in a mechanized infantry unit so mechanized per say didn't necessarily qualify one for a M1950. Arch, I'll be looking for that book. Not a climber myself but enjoy being the armchair follower. :)

15. anlrolfe

Sorry, IIRC,
    "if I recall correctly"
    Of course, that gets more questionable every day.

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

IIRC & CRS rarely in the same room.