Make a pilot burner

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by 907_Nick, Aug 6, 2020.

1. 907_Nick

907_Nick United States Subscriber

I had no idea these were around until I read The Warrior's post on his 210 fettle:

Primus 210 Fettle

I thought the pilot looked really neat so I decided to make one. It's not too complicated, all you need are a small section of brass tubing (I suppose copper would work ok too), a 1/4" copper plumbing cap, a small piece of carbon felt, and a small brass strip or piece of wire to hold your pilot onto a burner tube.

My starting materials, a 1/4" copper cap and about 3 inches of 7/32 bronze tube:
    20200731_135437.jpg

I drilled a hole that was slightly larger than my tubing in the cap and flared the end of my tubing that would attach to the cap:

20200731_135557.jpg

I pulled the tubing through the cap, and soldered the flared end to the cap. Then I stuffed some carbon felt in the cap and crimped it shut a bit with some pliers and attached my brass strip formed into a clip:
    20200731_141918.jpg

One the stove:

20200805_195259.jpg

And it works!!!
    20200731_142557.jpg

Pretty cool little addition and all you need is rough plumbing soldering skills to make it, plus the materials are cheap and easy to get.

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@907_Nick
    Nicely done. A question though and that’s whether lead solder has been melted in use by the heat of the priming charge? The flaring of the tube and subsequent crimping would hold the components together I’ll grant. Silbrazing would be ruled out because the temperature reached would melt the copper.

3. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Nice work man.

4. 907_Nick

907_Nick United States Subscriber

I used lead free solder and tested it out with alcohol, it doesn't melt but I would imagine there isn't much structural integrity during a prime (not that it's needed). A properly sized brass freeze plug + silbrazing would be a better option than a copper tube cap, but I couldn't find one easily.

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's certainly doing the job, Nick. :thumbup:

6. Tantra

Tantra Subscriber

Great job you done