Making potlegs for Primus 110

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by exeter_yak, Jul 9, 2009.

1. exeter_yak

Hi,
    I finished these potlegs this morning which were made for other collectors who have Primus 110 heaters. Photos were taken at various points in the process.

Heating 6mm diameter low carbon steel rod stock to bend it using screws, a clamp, and some collars that give the desired radii.
    Pic01.jpg

Forming around the second collar.
    Pic02.jpg

Forming completed.
    Pic03.jpg

Finished forming of a batch of parts.
    Pic04.jpg

Setting up a potleg in a home made drop hammer with kink dies made for the purpose.
    Pic05.jpg

Potleg is positioned square, a measured distance from the die, and ready to be hit with the top die in place.
    Pic06.jpg

Ready to pull the trigger cord. This is always a little spooky, there is a lot more force with this than one would expect. These potlegs have extra long tank fitting ends so it took 3 hits each. My neighbor just loves this stuff (it's very loud) The drop distance is 10 feet (3 meters) minus the hammer length and thickness of the base. The sliding hammer weighs 16 pounds. Watch your fingers.....
    Pic07.jpg

These are the completed parts.
    Pic08.jpg

ATB,
    Doug

2. alex_holden

Neat job! :D

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats!!!

Wim

4. joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co

joakim_stromberg@yahoo.co Subscriber

Impressed :thumbup:
    Creative press/stamp you built.
    Joakim

5. Takeshi

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know the kink is hard to make it as original style.
    So nice sliding hammer set up. :)

regards Takeshi

6. Calum

Hmm surely the originals would be 1/4" which is around 6.35mm? :lol:

Only kidding, fantastic work there, and a great setup with the cold closed-die forge thing you've got going! Very nice! :clap:

7. Knight84

Wow outstanding work!!!

You have some lucky stoves! Thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. exeter_yak

Thanks all,
    The drop hammer is much cheaper than the equivalent hydraulic press and maintenance of the hammer is easy. It was a bit of a gamble making it with no guarantee that it would work, but I had all the materials, and it ended up working OK.

Thanks again,
    Doug

9. brassnipplekey

DSCN3899.JPG

Doug's Impressive drop forge :)
    The Jelly baby didn't reveal its mission :roll:
    Nick

10. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

Hi Doug

Great work as usual, but I'm also intrigued by the drop-hammer.

Did you carry out trials to see if 10 foot was about the right height, or did you fix the height and then vary the weight until you got the desired result ?

Regards

11. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Nick, I notice the jellybaby was dressed in an orange Guantanamo Bay outfit. Was your recent trip to the US cover for a rendition mission? Are you a Government sleeper inserted into this site for monitoring purposes? Have you accidently blown your cover? How much will it cost to turn you into a double agent with a mission to get more stoves into all areas of Government (so we can buy them later as cheap surplus)?

Doug, Impressive fettling outfit, bordering on obsessive :lol: Great results though!

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. 111T

111T Subscriber

Pic1.JPG

PLUS

Pic2.jpg

Equals a broken drop forge.

You get one warning... that was it. ;)

The orange ones are his favorite.

13. brassnipplekey

Time Lord I stopped frequenting these 'Dodgy' internet forums .
    Yikes , I am undone .

Not Nick :-)

14. exeter_yak

Hi,
    The jelly baby stood it's ground and showed much bravery so we reduced it's sentence from death by guilotine to death by chewing and ingestion ( or was it indigestion?)

Is that Doctor Who? Those red UK telephone booths work differently to ours. In the ones over here, when we step out we are still in the same town and place.

Keith, when I first made some kink dies I had the use of a hydraulic press at work, then changed jobs, ooops!
    A test was done with sledgehammer, rod stock and anvil and looked promising. The first drop hammer test was with 6 foot rails but it did not work that well. The rails were changed to full 10 foot lengths and results were better. With multiple hits most any kinked potleg can be made.

The dies are the difficult part, using air hardening steel, and a heat treatment and anneal schedule that takes a full 8 hours to complete in a home shop. Heating is to 1850 F over a 5 hour ramp time before quench with compressed air and post hardening anneal is 350 F for 2 hours.

I use stainless tool wrap foil to prevent oxidation. It is quite dangerous work.
    HeatTreat1800F.jpg

The hammer tool is a bit crazy but I have gotten some good stove deals with missing potlegs so the ability to complete them is a nice benefit.

ATB,
    Doug

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, Brother Doug, and All,

OUTSTANDING, my Friend!!!! For those that don't know, this project is for a gaggle of us Stovies, including myself, Bernie Dawg, Dutch Mike, and a good friend of mine, Jon. Doug very kindly agreed to undertake the making of our stove/heater legs, even though most of them measured differently from one another. I know we'll all be very happy with our new pot legs, and additionally, I'll have some new heater reflector legs, too!! Great stuff, Doug, and very, very, very, well done, Sir!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D/ :D/ :D :D 8) 8)

When all is said and done, I'll post photos of my own Primus 110, and hopefully, the other Lads will do the same, possibly in the same thread.

Doug, your talent and skills are beyond compare, Sir, and I'm proud that several of my stoves wear your handiwork, already, and that my 110 will be doing so, soon!! Thank you, so very much, for doing this for us, Doug!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. BernieDawg Banned

Awesome work, Doug!! :clap:

What Laird Hamilton is for surfing, you are for us fettlers! 8)

Thanks for the continued inspiration.

Best wishes,
    Gary

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Exeter_Yak's wonderful stove legs arrived here yesterday, and there are, indeed, wonderfully made!! One more small package is in transit, and then the goodies will be shipped out to those that are a part of this project! Doug, once again, I thank you, very sincerely, for your time, efforts, and skills in helping the four of us Stovies out in our various projects!! Well done, and MUCH appreciated, my Friend!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc