Manaslu 121 - Primus shopping in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by boknasild, Dec 13, 2012.

1. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

Hi everybody
    Thought I should post some photos of a Manaslu 121 I found in a shop below Umeda railway station in Osaka a few weeks ago. Now I'm only missing a Manaslu 126. These are really quality stoves.
    brgds Bjørn

1355421804-IMG_1539_opt.jpg 1355421820-IMG_1540_opt.jpg 1355422012-IMG_1589_opt.jpg 1355422031-IMG_1590_opt.jpg

1355422062-IMG_1592_opt.jpg

1355422113-IMG_1593_opt.jpg 1355422147-IMG_1594_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

really good looking stove,nice to see they still have kero classic style for sale along side the new Gaz and MSR type stoves.
    price??

3. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

Price was JPY 14000. Half of what I would have to pay back home.
    Bjørn

4. dday

dday Subscriber

Thats around $167 US dollars. Great stove. Would like to find one someday.
    Dan

5. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

167.41 in US dollars, and it would have cost TWICE that back home? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bugger! And I thought I was getting the stick at 65 US for my Monitor C11!

Murph

6. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    very nice stove indeed and thanks for sharing the photos of the shop. Absolutely love Japanese culture and the shops over there. Those people have such integrity and honor within their society. You just got to love those shops and vending machines where you can buy a pair of paper underwear for a few coins found in your pocket. Been looking to have a custom made knife created for myself by one of their craftsmen. Share any other photos you may have from your trip.

7. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

Murph
    I live in a country lubricated by oilmoney. So everything is high cost. So when the oil wells run dry we will be in deep s**t.I'll enjoy my stoves while I can.
    Viscara
    I have worked for a Japanese company for almost 30 years. And I've come to know some of them quite well.They are honourable people and nice to do business with.
    brgds Bjørn

8. Rick b

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

Agreed, Bjorn, for us Westerners, business in Japan can be trying, as much of a conversation is what is NOT said as said.

You will never be told "no" in as many words, but be told that "it would be extremely difficult to do".

There are other cultural issues that perplex those of not used to the culture. Until I read "Shadows of the Rising Sun", I was aware of but a few.

Domo arrigato, Murph

10. Viscara

Originally Silicon Valley now in Netherlands.
    Murph yes it was very difficult for me to learn that lesson of the un spoken thoughts or ways of saying no by not actually saying it. My best lesson has been my good mentor who is full Japanese. His patients is remarkable as is his tenacity for accomplishing things such as repairs or fettling or finding a solution to a problem. He is much older and I was always disappointed when he would not go backpacking with me or never really answered me when I would ask him. It was until one day when I asked and his wife heard me ask him. Privately later she told me that she thought he would not go with me as he is getting old and maybe could not carry his own weight as far as our backpacking gear and to him that was not acceptable. I really admired him after that instead of being disappointed with his reason for not taking a trip with me.

11. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

Hello again
    Can anybody tell me why Manaslu 126 and 121 have a SRV on the tanklid ? My Manaslu 96 doesn't have one.All three are using parrafin and only tank size are different.
    brgds and have a glorious weekend Bjørn