Manning Bowman won't light

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Solace745, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Solace745 United States

I'm relatively new to the idea of alcohol stoves, but their design seems simple, and it seems like a great addition to my camping supplies.
    A whole back, I was able to pick up a Manning Bowman at an estate sale for free. I brought it home and put it up, to investigate at a later date. That date, finally was this week. However, I could not get it to light. I don't think it is pulling any fuel to the top.

KIMG1062.JPG KIMG1065.JPG

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with it. I tried pressing the plunger, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Wasn't sure which way the holes on the side of the plunger are supposed to point. They were facing outward, should they point towards the Wick? Wick looks like it's never been used. Any ideas?

KIMG1061.JPG

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.

I have one. They are very nice. Percolating coffee, or a stove top espresso maker work well on this stove. It is also called a chaffing dish burner.

I do not have enough experience with other models of this stove ...the wick looks different than mine. (SEE PHOTO BELOW) It may be home made, and that may be the problem. We shall see.

Have you tried lighting it? What did you do and what happened?

Did you put alcohol in it? What kind of alcohol did you use.
    Denatured alcohol, everclear pure drinking alcohol, yellow bottle Heet brand fuel line additive, are good choices.

Do the following in a safe place.

Fill the tank about half full. Let it set long enough for the wick to absorb the alcohol. Add more if you need to.
    The pin that sets below the burner is a pump to bring fuel up and disperse it into the priming well. With fuel in the tank, pump enough to get alcohol into the priming dish.
    Have the fuel cap closed, and the fuel adjustment valve off.
    Light the alcohol in the priming dish. That will warm up the burner.
    At some time when the burner is hot and the flame is dying down, open the valve and light the burner.

If it does not light then there is something else wrong. We can deal with that after you try the above.

You can also search here for more on the Manning Bowman stoves. Made in Meriden, Ct USA

Ken in NC

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/manning-bowman-stove-1910.24247/

[​IMG]

3. Solace745 United States

Thanks for the reply. Success!

Youre instructions were a huge help. I wasn't sure where the valve needed to be, and I wasn't getting the priming dish full enough.
    Coffee was my idea for this little guy. I used the yellow bottle heet, however I wasn't sure how much to put in it, so may not have put enough fuel in it the first time.
    This little guy had been neglected at an estate sale, it was left sitting in the grass out side the estate sale we were cleaning up, but I saw it's potential, especially for free.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I like them.
    We like photos, when you get it running, share a photo.

5. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

They are great for coffee, as they're compact and safe to use indoors. Mine (not a Manning Bowman) doesn't have the pump and priming well, but is otherwise quite similar.

....Arch

6. Solace745 United States

It seems to work great, haven't had a chance to see how long it takes to boil water on it yet, but it puts out a decent flame.

KIMG1087.JPG

KIMG1086.JPG

KIMG1083.JPG

7. Solace745 United States

Even came with a pan.

KIMG1089.JPG

KIMG1090.JPG

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

That is a nice stove. You have it running very nicely.
    Manning Bowman made a percolator for it. The flat bottom and narrow tank bottom transferred the low heat very well.
    You can see it here. Ref: A Stove Display in Town
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. Solace745 United States

I like the percolator, I'll have to keep my eye out for one. Also love the big green Coleman stove in your picture, I have one of those as well, it's next on my list to get working.