marine paraffin stove used as a heater

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by phildy, Jul 14, 2020.

1. phildy

Has anyone had any luck using some form of inverted cone or cylinder over a optimus type 207 burner and using it as a radiant heat source within a boat cabin. I realise the limitations as there would be no external flue so ventilation would be a consideration. Perhaps a fabricated metal or ceramic device could work. An upside down terracotta flower pot has been suggested though I have my doubts. Any suggestions or is this a crazy idea

2. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

I recently purchased a Monitor stove which had what I assume to be a heater attachment in quite a thick gauge of brass.
    My stove has an unregulated roarer burner. The dome balances over the burner plate and there is a piece of wire with it which may be intended to hold it in place.
    Monnitor Military stove and heater.jpg

Unusually for me, I haven't got around to lighting it yet (it's a scary looking beast!). The dome diameter is too large to fit within the burner well of the plate, so it just tip toes balancing on the 6 pressed out radial ribs. In a place subject to some movement, it would need to be held in place somehow - then there is the combustion gases and emissions to think about.
    Choose your own adventure - hypothermia or CO poisoning?
    Dean

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @phildy using any kerosene or gasoline burning stove or heater in a confined space without guaranteed ventilation is potentially LETHAL.
    DO NOT DO IT!

There are commercially available boat heaters available. They have proper exhaust systems and recommend the degree of ventilation needed for safe operation.

There are numerous links on CCS. Have a look at these threads and the links within them.

Search Results for Query: Boat heaters | Classic Camp Stoves

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Sea Mither United Kingdom

We used to use a terracotta plant pot the ones with the hole in the bottom. Turn it upside down on a low light it makes a good ceramic heater for tent or boat.

5. Plantpot United Kingdom

I don't need to tell you the dangers of CO2 poisoning or setting your boat, clothes, furniture or face on fire, as with the heater you have described, is only a matter of time. Any metal or ceramic will heat up and radiate, so its a simple matter of fabricating something that will fit. Fine metal gauze springs to mind, or a flower pot as suggested above.

Have you looked at the Chinese diesel heaters on Ebay? They are excellent and can run on paraffin as well as diesel and you can pick them up as a complete kit for about 100 quid.

ALL IN ONE 5KW 12V Air Diesel Heater 4 Holes LCD Monitor Remote Trucks Boats Car | eBay

6. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I think you mean CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning. CO2 (carbon dioxide) is not poisonous.

Ben

7. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

I have seen a design that uses several flower pots, small, medium and large, connected by a bolt, using nuts and washers as spacers and a way to connect and hold the parts together. I tried a single flower pot as a heater on my small sloop. It worked fairly well (yes, the c. I would suggest you experiment. You probably have a flower pot handy, so for zero investment you can give it a try.

Paul