Matt's 722 gets a seeing too

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by loco7stove, Feb 16, 2013.

1. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi All

If you remember Matt's 722 furnace 8) :thumbup: post you'll remember he got it from the Dorset Steam Fair and was going to try to get it fired up......

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cl

Well, Matt was having a bit of trouble with the beast so I duly volunteered to have a look :D

1361039675-DSCF3729_opt.jpg

The NRV was giving him some problems as it had been chewed before he acquired it, :doh: :roll: ](*,) so I started on the old lead solder repair first :D :thumbup:

1361039760-DSCF3734_opt.jpg

About an ounce and a half of lead came off when blasted with the torch. :shock: :roll: The pump was pulled clear with one of my removal tools :D :thumbup: giving me better access to the damaged NRV. This is what lurked beneath and I had to remove the end of the pump tube as well :shock: :roll:

1361039859-DSCF3736_opt.jpg

Well, the end of the NRV is well chewed, but not to worry, "I have a cunning plan". 8) :thumbup: The NRV was placed in the lathe and cleaned up. Then a suitable bit of brass was found to make a new end which was silver soldered into position and hand filed back to its original size :D :thumbup:

1361039894-DSCF3739_opt.jpg

The tube was cleaned up and the cap resoldered into position :D :thumbup: and the parts ready to be replaced in the furnace fount (repaired NRV on the right) :doh: :D :thumbup:

1361039922-DSCF3740_opt.jpg

1361039941-DSCF3742_opt.jpg

The tube hole was too large and I had to shrink it back with a peening hammer until the pump had a snug fit ready to be re-soldered without the lead lump. I'll do that this evening :D :thumbup:

1361040456-DSCF3743_opt.jpg

1361040522-DSCF3744_opt.jpg

The bottom rim has also been straightened up as well :D :thumbup:

1361040576-DSCF3745_opt.jpg

Well, Matt, how's that so far :?: :D :thumbup:

Best regards Stu :D :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Stu great work so far, and brilliant repair job saving the original NRV.
    I am looking forward to seeing 722 finished and working

3. Matthew92

Matthew92 SotM Winner Subscriber

Excellent work Stu, It looks miles better already. Also appears to be well beyond my capabilities, so sending it to the doctor was clearly the right way to go. :lol: Fantastic bit of work on the NRV end as well I would never have thought it possible to save that so yes, I'm very impressed. Not that I ever had any doubts. :D I take it you found the burner in the box, so when it's ready I look forward to seeing her go. Feel free to make yourself a well earned cup of tea on it to. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks again Stu, best regards Matt.

4. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi All

Back in from the workshop and the pump is now re-soldered where it should be. :shock: It's working just as it was designed to :D :thumbup:

1361053174-DSCF3752_opt.jpg

1361053211-DSCF3753_opt.jpg

Next job was to find a bit of tube to fire up the burner and all I had was a bit of scaffold tube which I machined out to fit the large burner head. It really needs a 2 3/4 inch long 2 inch o.d. tube but this was all I had. :doh: :D :thumbup: I'll get a bit cut for Matt before I return the furnace on Monday :D :thumbup:

1361053233-DSCF3754_opt.jpg

1361053252-DSCF3756_opt.jpg

So The big moment looms large and after quenching the burner first to clear any loose crud, the 722 was assembled, fueled and primed. [-o< :D :thumbup:

1361053286-DSCF3758_opt.jpg

There was a bright green flame at first until it settled down leaving a nice blue one instead. The tube worked quite well on the burner but the longer one would be much better giving a more even burn :D :thumbup:

1361053310-DSCF3760_opt.jpg

1361053337-DSCF3766_opt.jpg

1361053359-DSCF3768_opt.jpg

1361053381-DSCF3773_opt.jpg

I wonder what the person who you got the 722 from would say now Matt, :-k , but I just hope you're pleased. 8) :D :thumbup:

Best regards, Stu :D :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Matthew92

Wow, that looks, errr.... Hot? :lol: Great to see her working again, I wonder when the last time was :?: not for some time I bet. Just the priming flame is big, it's not just my eyes is it? the flame reaches right up into the corner of the picture. :shock: I can't wait to fire it up, I bet it was loud in your shed. :lol: A nice flame tube too.

Really pleased Stu, I couldn't have tackled this myself so a huge thanks to you for doing it. Perhaps one day it will make you a cup of tea, but until then it will make me a few. :lol: Thanks again Stu and I hope everyone else enjoys your pics and I'm sure I'll be adding some more once it get back home. Hey, I might even get a picture worthy of the flame shots gallery. :lol: Best regards Matt.

6. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi Matt

No doubt your flame shots will grace that post soon 8) :thumbup: , just glad to have been of help in the restoration :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

7. yonadav

Hi Stu,

Brilliant work, as usual!

I just don't understand how you keep the stove from falling off when the table is tilted 45 degrees :lol:

Yonadav

8. Matthew92

Yonadav, It's the thrust from that burner. It would stick to the roof if you tried. :lol:

9. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Stu brilliant, the pump tube has been soldered back perfectly, and looks so much nicer with a proper neat solder ring around the joint, instead of a thick layer of solder smeared around the joint with a over sized soldering iron.
    And also a great job of machining a new flame tube from a piece of scaffold tube, it looks so original and no made up ,well done there Stu :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Thanks guys 8) :thumbup:

Always glad to help when I can. :D :thumbup: Yonadav have you never seen the Batman series starring Adam West from the 60s? My workshop is an old villain's hideout :doh: :D :thumbup:

See what I mean :shock: :D :thumbup:

1361127438-batwoman.jpg

Stu :D :thumbup:

11. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Damm fine fettle. Nuff said !

12. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Excellent work on the NRV. The 722 is ready for takeoff! Ready to take out the next asteroid/meteorite!

sam

13. Chef BC

I'd say that 722 is ready for the next crab boil!

14. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I wonder if the restoration runs to getting a pair of those foldable carrying handles back on the furnace Stu?

1361179303-handles.jpg

If you are, knock me out a couple of pairs too would you? - just the steel rod and not the brass bracket. I've not got around to making any up for the Primus or the older Svea featured in this post - I can send you a pattern and photos from another Primus if you've not got one handy. Better still, I'll de-solder a pair and send them to you.

Primus 702

Probably would've been best as a PT - sorry!

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  15. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi John

No it's good to see another similar furnace & if you send me a pattern I'll knock some up for you :D :thumbup:

Just back from a local garage where I got some two inch pipe, two & three quarter inches long to get Matt started. This should give a much better burn than the short bit of pipe I had :D :thumbup:

1361193313-DSCF3776_opt.jpg

1361193336-DSCF3777_opt.jpg

1361193351-DSCF3778_opt.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this fired up with the new tube, but thats for Matt to do 8) :thumbup:

Furnace on its way back to you today :D :thumbup:

Best regards Stu :D :thumbup:

16. Pinky

Pinky Subscriber

WOW!!!

Great job Stu, particularly with repairing and cleaning up that NRV head! :thumbup: :clap:

17. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Stu
    The burner tube you used in your flame shot was 50mm is that right? Were the originals 75mm? Iani sent me a 55mm piece of tube and that seems pretty good would 75mm really make a better flame pattern? I look forward to seeing new flame shots for comparison.75mm may be too long to fit into the London furnace I have.
    Cheers Nick

18. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I may be wrong, but I don't think the tube needs to be any longer than the burner (flush with the top, maybe 1/4" extra). Here's a job for Matt, to thoroughly and scientifically test both tubes as soon as he gets his 722 back! :D/ :lol: ;)

Best regards,

Wim

19. Matthew92

Does a scientific test involve holding my hand above the stove running at full tilt at a predetermined height and timing how long I can hold it there before swearing profusely and running around? :-k

20. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Really nice work, Stu.
    Matt ...... More pictures please.

Ken in NC