1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May 1948 Valor 51 with pressed steel legs

Discussion in 'Valor' started by presscall, Nov 18, 2015.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

No sooner had I posted details of a May 1948-dated silent burner version (the '55') of a Valor with pressed steel legs than the roarer burner '51' came along, also dated May 1948.

1.JPG

Not mint but barely used and complete with original pan ring, windshield, prickers and two spare jet nipples in a small tin box, colour-matching the Valor windshield. On closer inspection it was not a Valor accessory but once contained 'Flexoplast' brand sticking-plasters. A previous owner with an eye for colour co-ordination as well as function pressed it into use.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

The burner is date-stamped for June 1948.

6.JPG

No shortage of script on burner or flame ring

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Here's that Flexoplast sticking-plaster box.

11.JPG

Excellent performer.

12.JPG

13.JPG

John

2. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Nice one John, a nice work stove, I gave one away to a bloke on the allotment for him to make his brews with. I normally pass on number five stoves to people as they are cheap easy to fix and work well in sheds and greenhouses, when you need a warm brew or a fry up.

Si

3. kaw550red

kaw550red United Kingdom RIP Subscriber

Hi John

Is there any signs that it has been a military stove?

The burner was patented but not by Valor. The patent was originally applied for on August 31, 1943 by Townson & Coxon (Burmos) although the full application was not submitted until January 16, 1945.

Whilst that type of burner was patented by T & C they made military stoves together with other makers and the War Dept insisted that all roarer military stoves were fitted with the patented burners so other makers made the burners under licence however as far as I know that licence only applied when the other makers were making WD stoves.

The number stamped on the application is 566,842 which I presume is the patent number which was granted

I think the marked date may have been a WD requirement. I cannot remember Valor marking the dates on their stoves however my memory is not what it was

4. presscall

@Big Si
    Did you find that '96' vapouriser you wanted the jet hole downsizing on?!!! I've got the one you sent me that's sound on my hall stand ready to get back to you. Re. your giving away No. 5 stoves ... doesn't surprise me, you're generosity personified. I've lost count of the stuff you've gifted me at Newarks.

@kaw550red
    You certainly raise some interesting points there Bryan and thanks for posting them.

I knew of the patent from Townson and Coxson relating to a removable plug for access to the jet without having to use a universal-jointed jet key but saw that the patent number wasn't that on the Valor and haven't been able to track down the Valor patent.

No, there's absolutely no 'broad arrow' or other indication of a military origin for the Valor, or for that matter the '55' sister stove with pressed steel legs that I recently posted details of.

Interesting!

John

5. kaw550red

Hi John

I have looked at other Valor stoves and those showing date marks seem concentrated in the 45-55 period. Those outside that period don't have date codes.

The numbers on the Valor stove are part numbers (I think) That is apart from the dates.

Monitor military stoves have the broad arrow on them as well as the date. Until fairly recently unused ex WD Monitor stoves made in November 1955 were still available in so it may be that the 3 legged stoves were dropped for military use about that time

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

This is such an interesting thread!

There has been mention of not being able to find certain patents.
    I have often looked for patents in vain.
    Why is this? Is there some magic formula?
    I know that Terry (Trojandog) has done a lot of work on this but I am still left floundering.

As for Big Si he certainly is a generous person and although I see him only occasionally, I count him as a good friend.
    But . . . . . he slipped a bit this year at Newark when I did not get any delicious shitty eggs!
    laughs.gif

7. kaw550red

The Monitor roarer military stoves had an unusual burner. The nipple was a standard 0.32 mm nipple but the burner top was larger than the standard 2 pint burners. You got the same heat as a standard burner but you got a much greater flame spread

https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1301753775-flame_rings_opt-jpg.69281/

The difference in size of flame rings is noticeable.

If the flame ring on your stove is bigger than normal it is highly probable that it was a UK military stove even if it does not have the broad arrow on the stove

When I was collecting I copied all stove patents that I found so I could use them to help identify the age of stoves

The patent for that type of burner was definitely held by the Burmos brand owners

8. presscall

@kaw550red

Hi Bryan

The Valor flame ring is no larger than a conventional one for an equivalent roarer burner.

This Primus burner and riser tube is from a Primus 100 stove equipped with a tubular roarer burner, as some were instead of a 'lipstick' roarer burner - I know you know that, Bryan, it's just if someone sees this who doesn't.

image.jpg

The Valor flame ring fits it perfectly

image.jpg

John

9. kaw550red

That's one theory out of the window