Metacel Roarer Burner (Australia; NOS)

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by Tony Press, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Here is a Metacel roarer burner, unused. It is the size of a Primus-type No. 1.

It has a steel flame ring.

Metacel produced stoves in the 1940s. I've found advertisements from 1945 to 1947. I assume that Metacel produced stoves because of shortages in Australia due to the War. An Australian company called Metacel Pty Ltd was liquidated in New South Wales (Australia) in 1986.

P1050451.jpg

P1050453.jpg

Cheers

Tony

2. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Subscriber SotM Winner

The dating of these is difficult, are you saying they only produced stoves between 1945 and 1947. ? As I have one I am interested. Thanks Tony.
    Cheers
    Rob

3. Tony Press

@Robert Bruce

I’m not going so far as to say that they were only produced from 1945 to 1947. I’m just indicating that the advertisements from Trove span this period.

I suppose the safest thing to say is they were manufactured and sold from at least 1945 (if not earlier).

If the Metacel company that was liquidated in 1986 is the same company (I’ve not looked into company records), the stoves may well have been made and sold after 1947, but for how long?

Cheers

Tony

4. Lennart F Norway

I guess australian production of stove parts started in early 1942 as it was essential in order to produce stoves that earlier were built with swedish or british parts that could be imported before the Pacific war.
    Military vehicles, arms and aircraft were in local development already in 1940 as all british stocks stayed in Europe.

5. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Subscriber SotM Winner

Tony, it’s interesting that the company was liquidated in 1986, I wonder how long it took to be liquidated. I bet it did not coincide with the production finishing up. Lots if and buts I guess.
    Cheers
    Rob

6. Tony Press