Metho stove

Discussion in 'Japan' started by jamiec, May 29, 2011.

1. jamiec

here is a metho stove i picked up from local market today :D/
    1306637488-IMG_5542__560x420___2_.jpg 1306637790-IMG_5541__540x405_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Lovely, have you tried cooking something already? I see you have the nonstick top too!

Ron

3. clancambo

clancambo Australia Subscriber

They are NOT non stick tops. These meths stoves are almost impossible to control and one hell of a b*$%@ to extinguish once hot. They were sold here in Australia for AUD$6.95 by GJ Coles department stores. Jamiec, DO NOT use this on a good surface even though the instructions suggest OK for inside. It will burn the surface. The hot plate is a little ripper though and I have used mine on some of other stoves.

Ian

4. jamiec

No i have not cooked with it yet but i did fire it up and boiled the billy. this one must have been sold at Kmart stores as there is a Kmart sticker still on the box. Yes i agree that it is not very controllabel and is a bit hard to put out after it has heated up :roll: I do think that the hot plate will be the best part of this stove and make great use on others :D

5. clancambo

Back then, K Mart was part of the Coles Myer Group. I still intend to try and improve the control ring, - when I get around to it. Don't forget to season the hot plate well. It will give you excellent service.

Regards

Ian

6. jamiec

I was thinking about cutting the control ring and take a little out of it then join it back together to make it fit tighter and that should help it work better. How do you season the hot plat?

Thanks
    jamie

7. clancambo

Good idea. It's too sloppy. Google "seasoning" cooking equipment. It requires heat and rubbing cooking oil into the surface.

Ian

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Jamie, just put the hotplate on the stove, pour some olive oil in it and let it cook for a while (best would be in simmer-mode if the stove will simmer). Never clean with soap, just wipe dry with kitchen roll (toilet roll will do as well ;) ) and when to dirty use hot water only. You'll then have to repeat the olive oil treatment (or any high temp veggie oil really). When cooking on it, use liberal oil and you're gona have fun for many years to come! :D/ :D/ :D/

Best regards,

Wim

9. The Bird

The Bird Subscriber

G'day Jamie,

I seasoned my cast iron frying pans and my camp ovens by taking them to the local Chippie, and asking him to soak them in his vats for a couple of days of trade. Then I cleaned them in hot water, and gave them a bake in the oven at home. Worked well for me.

Best regards,

Mike.

10. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Mmm, best to bake (season) outside, the wife objects to the stench, for some reason...
    I use the BBQ, hot to start, then low for several hours.
    If needed, lightly oil and heat again.
    What you're looking for is a black carbon layer, which will be slick as teflon, after several uses.
    After use, wipe clean,heat piping hot (on the stove is ok), lightly oil(olive oil, or any cooking oil) and wipe up the excess.

Looove Cast Iron!!! :D/

11. clancambo

Well answered eveyone. There are so many methods but worth the while for a non stick surface

Ian

12. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber