Meths burners: Optimus 209 vs 209N?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Doc Mark, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Gentlemen, and Ladies,

Ever since I first learned about the Optimus 45A, I’ve been somewhat confused by the fact that some of the Opti Meths burners have long burner riser stems, and some have short riser stems. It’s also called the “209” in some reports, and the “209N” in others. Adding to the confusion, is that the information found here at CCS, and also on the web, is conflicting in its suppositions about these two burners.

Here are some examples where the short burner is called a 209. First up is a great post by Ben, (@z1ukike), which shows a 45A mounted in a Sea Swing. The short burner stem is easily seen. Ben identifies this burner as the “209”.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-45a-in-bremer-sea-swing.15673/

Next, is a video posted by Gary, in which he shows the short stemmed burner, and definitely calls it a “209”

In various manuals here at CCS, which show the Optimus 535A, the same short stemmed burners are listed as “209N” burners.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1975-optimus-traditional-products-program.26401/

And, here’s another example, this one from 1974, which the short stemmed burner is called a 209N.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1974-optimus-original-burners.9155/

However, other catalogs, like this one from 1972, the long stemmed burner is shown, and is listed as a #209.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1972-optimus-pressure-camping-stoves-yacht-ranges.9234/

My own Optimus 209 has a long stem, and is what is shown and reviewed in the excellent book, “”Backpacking Equipment Buyer’s Guide”, by William Kemsley, published in 1978. On page 216 you can easily see that long stem about which I’m talking.

1.jpg

Also, in the Optimus Maintenance Manual I have, the cover photo shows the 45A with the same long stemmed riser. And, a few pages further on, the burner in question is also illustrated and listed as “209”.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And, here is my own 209 burner, where the long burner stem is once again, easily seen.

5.jpg

So, after all that, where does it leave us? It is my supposition that the longer stemmed burner was the earlier of the two, and it was made to work well with discus type brass stoves, like the 45A. I think this is the true Optimus #209. If you look at the burners in the Optimus 535A, you can see the shorter stemmed burners, which I believe are the #209N model. I suggest that both Ben's and Gary's 209 burners are actually 209N burners. All this now makes sense, to me, and I hope it does to you, too.

Your comments, information, and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for reading this, and giving me your opinions on this theory of mine. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

ooops!! Ben, that listing should have been: @z1ulike !!

3. threedots New Zealand

Hello @Doc Mark and once again another interesting topic.

I guess you are correct in your assumption about the lengths of the burner stem being the reason those burners are numbered 209 & 209N.

Some Optimus alcohol burners that are the same type, but differ in another way - how the silent burner outer cap fit to them.

One type has 2 tangs on the bottom of the cap that pass through slots in the burner bell. The outer cap is secured by bending the tangs slightly outwards once it is in position.

The other type has the burner bell pierced on opposite sides and pressed to provide lugs for a cap to be rotated under those lugs to hold it in position.
    That type of cap doesn't have any tangs(similar to a standard No:5 silent cap) but has a lower flared skirt that is machined away a little(flats) on opposite sides so that the cap can be positioned between the lugs then rotated so that the cap skirt becomes wedged under those lugs.
    They can be a bit fidgety though when trying to position them properly.
    Cheers, John

4. optipri

optipri Subscriber

This is really an interesting question. Fact is that I have not bother too much about Optimus alcohol burners.
    I have find 4 different versions of this burner, one of them for a camping stove, nr111?
    I have also compare the part lists in catalogues from 3 different years, 1968-1972-1975.
    As you can see the N-model appears in 1975. But is looks like the text has been added, the font of that differs from the original. Another question is, what is the prefix M for. My first thought was "Marine" but in 1972 years catalogue there is no M though it is a yacht stove.
    So, as alway, a lot of mysteries.

Bo

Burners.JPG

1968 years catalogue

1968.JPG

1972 years catalogue

1972.JPG

1975 years catalogue

1975-1.JPG

1975-2.JPG

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@optipri , Good Morning, Bo,

Thanks, very much, for weighing in on this little topic. I'm sure that my question about all this do not interest many of our CCS members, who are not into Meths stove, nor the burners associated with that fuel. But, to me, it's very interesting, indeed! Thanks for the info you have shared, and for the photos of the four different 209 burners. I may have three of the four, but will have to dig a bit to find out. All are used, or course, but not too much, it appears. Most of them came with boat stoves that were "built-in's", and as such have seen very little use. I'm guessing that the short stemmed burners will fit the Optimus 535A, is that right. I don't see how the long stemmed burners will fit into the case, otherwise. But, hey, maybe they do...... I think I'll soon know the answer to that question!! Thanks, again, for your excellent comments and information! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

I'm also into the Meths burners and have 1.5 of the Optimus 209 ones and one of the Primus 3025 ones to my name :content:
    A discussion worthy of merit! :lol:

I assembled an Optimus 5RA from a collection of parts, the 5RAM was a genuine offering so I thought I would take the liberty of not having a marine application.... :whistle:
    I do enjoy using my single-fuel household stove occasionally ;)
    Here is when I got the burner sorted out properly.

If we do dissections/discussions, let's keep Primus 3025 and 3026 worthy of mentions in dispatches (I'd love to find a 3026) ;)

Alec.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Rangie , Alec,

Thank you, very much, for contributing to this thread! Much appreciated! And, I also thank you for the link to your Meths stove build. Great looking setup, and looks to run a treat! I've not delved into the Primus Meths offerings, but really should. All part of the big picture, about which we, here at CCS, are always trying to learn!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Tantra

Tantra Subscriber

I have seen 111 alcohol stove,same burner as your photo,last one.

9. CaesarV

CaesarV Subscriber

@optipri hi bro,
    can you take more photos for these four burner? I want to know if these ones has the same inner structure.
    regards
    caesar

10. Tantra

Tantra Subscriber

I send photo by wechat,comrade lining