Military stove no2 (modified) question

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Andrew S, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi. just started fettling this stove. After reading all the posts on CCS, first job was to strip down the stove (plenty of heat and quench required!), give it an initial clean up and pressure test in water. There is a small leakage where burner assembly fixes to feeder pipe. I gather it is a basic compression fitting and that is what it looks like. Has anybody any tips on sealing it? Can the compression fitting be removed and replaced as in plumbing? i suspect from the angle of the burner (see photo) that it is not sitting square and maybe the olive is slightly at an angle, but judging by the difficulties i had in stripping down the stove i guess the olive will be pretty difficult to budge.

IMG_20230330_163105768.jpg

IMG_20230401_183001878.jpg IMG_20230401_182907024.jpg

2. Steve B

Asbestos string springs to mind. The thinnest diameter substitute I could find on a quick internet trawl was Fire Rope White Firm 3mm diameter from Victas.com. Perhaps it will be possible to cut it down and still end up with some useful fibres for packing the joint?

Alternatively, maybe Hylomar exhaust assembly paste is worth a try.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

It’d have to be cut off and since the nut can’t be slid out of the way, access to the stubby length of tube it’ll have bonded itself to is very tight. A Dremel with the slimmest of diamond tips and the steadiest of hands (!) might make it possible. Otherwise, sealant as has been said.

4E30AC29-55A3-4BE0-8A06-67F745317795.jpeg

4. Andrew S

Andrew S United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks for the tips. I positioned the nut in the vice and gave the burner some gentle downward taps. It may have shifted the olive slightly, I dont know. As it was only a small leak when i tested for pressure in water I decided to try lighting the stove, outside and with buckets of water to hand. I primed it with meths as advised and it fired up. Yellow flame to begin with but now burning well. It holds pressure and no leaks. it doesn't need many pumps. I will post on the gallery when completed. very pleased. Thanks again

IMG_20230405_091838049_HDR.jpg