Mini Trangia

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by Afterburner, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Afterburner

Here in my slightly modified Mini Trangia.

1409433227-MiniTrangia_0001_3.jpg 1409433209-MiniTrangia_0001_2.jpg 1409433194-MiniTrangia_0001.jpg 1409433251-MiniTrangia_0001_4.jpg 1409433269-MiniTrangia_0001_5.jpg 1409433150-MiniTrangia_0001_1.jpg

I think that I bought this before 2000. Somewhere around 2001 or 2002. I was wondering if it would be possible to get non-stick pot for this stove and I sent an email to Trangia. They told that they have made a test batch of non-stick pots for Mini Trangia. If I remember correctly test batch was made because they were supplying stoves to Fjällräven's some fast & light hiking / fell running event and fully non-stick Mini Trangia was given for all participants. In their reply they mentioned that I could send 10 eur for them in a letter and they would send a non-stick Mini Trangia pot for me. I send 10 eur in the letter for them and after a week I received the non-stick pot from them. That's a good customer service. :content:

For burner cap I inserted piece on of aluminium tubes to raise kettle a little bit to get more air for burner. I also made small notches to burner cap that I was able to put 4" or 5" nails across the burner that I was able to heat water in Trangia 0,3 ltr. cup.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Primus 96

Primus 96 Subscriber

I was wondering about the Mini Trangia after I saw a plain aluminium version for sale. I now know where the idea of making the pots non-stick might have come from. The T28 is a curious Trangia & I wondered when it was first produced.

3. Ian

Ian Subscriber

A similarly modified T28 passed thru' my hands recently; the previous owner located a PC fan grill in the slots.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. Afterburner

If I am not totally wrong that Fjällräven event that I mentioned was "Fjällräven Classic". They are still arranging that event http://www.fjallraven.com/classic/about-fjallraven-classic now stove recommendation is "Primus Eta Express" http://www.fjallraven.com/catalog/product/view/id/19268/s/packing-list/category/345/ Primus maybe because they are owned by same investment fund.

That Fjällräven event might have been some other even because I think that it was little bit smaller scale event or event has been become open for all who want to participate.

For Mini Trangia introduction year maybe some iteration is needed. I have old Finnish catalogs. In 1988 catalog there is no Mini Trangia. In that catalog there are only stoves 25 and 27 with Teflon frying pan that has Teflon coating in side of the pan and outer side of the pan is plain aluminium (no red colour).

I have local catalog that doesn't have year but it has 25 and 27 stoves with Teflon coated drying pan and pots. Those are having red outer surface. Looks that red color is made by anodizing not that later thicker paint type coating. Those coated stoves have model numbers 25-6 and 27-6. In that catalog there in no Mini Trangia.

I have local catalog which printing year is 1995 so it's year 1995 or 1995 catalog. That catalog has Mini Trangia with model number 28. In that catalog there is plain version that doesn't have coating in frying pan nor in the pot. Model number 28-T has Teflon coated frying pan and looks that it's outer surface has that thicker paint type red coating.

That what I was able to dig out. 8-[ Does anyone has more Trangia catalogs and we can sort out more accurate introduction year for Mini Trangia / Trangia 28?

5. geneislucky

I bought my 28 before 1990 in the US. It was all plain aluminum, no nonstick coating on fry pan/lid. Of course at the time all my buddies thought I had lost my mind giving up my MSR Whisperlite. They still haven't learned, poor fellas.

6. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

I've got a light and a medium pack that get regular use for either day hikes or Boy Scout outings. One carries a mini Trangia 28(AL w/ non-stick lid) the other a SVEA 123R. These are hands down my two most used stoves. The only suggestions to the mini 28 that I'd make are adding a small piece of aluminium foil and paper clip to create a simple wrap around windscreen. Theres still just enough room inside to fit the folded foil and a BIC lighter. I am sure you will get much use and enjoyment from this simple stove and cook set.

AR

7. Afterburner

Here are two more pictures of normal Trangia handle that I "down sized" to fit for MiniTrangia T28 because I felt that it's original handle was too flimsy:

1409940900-Handle2.JPG
    1409940882-handle1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  8. Primus 96

Primus 96 Subscriber

Excellent idea to cut down a pot-gripper for the #28. The pressed metal effort seen in post #1 looks like an afterthought. Makes you wonder why they didn't do that anyway.
    The pots still fit together alright?
    I may get a cheap gripper & do this myself.

9. Afterburner

Yes, pots fit together but you also need to cut out (=file) some material of from the bottom side of the handle. You'll see if you compare side profile of cut handle to uncut handle. Length of the handle can easily be longer than in my handle.

I think that they didn't want to make necessary modification to "Trangia standard" handle to fit to T28. Steel one is easy and cheap to make.

T28 is also Russian tank http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-28 8-[