Monitor 17B

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by richmay, Jan 14, 2020.

1. richmay

richmay SotM Winner Subscriber

As received

17B 1A.jpg

17B 1.jpg

After a Clean

17B 2.jpg
    17B 3.jpg

17B 4.jpg

17B 5.jpg

17B 6.jpg
    17B 7.jpg
    17B 8.jpg
    IMHO one of the best half pint stoves, better than a 96

Cheers

2. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Agreed!

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Why? Not that I’m partisan but curious to know if I’ve overlooked obviously better qualities.

4. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Why? Good question - some reasons are subjective, others more objective.

All my 17Bs seem to burn hotter than the 96 brigade. The burner plate and bell always glow much redder, and although I have never done a quantitative 'tea test' comparison, the bright red glow inside the blue flame is very reassuring and comforting.

More practically, I like the full bore pump and tube which is mounted to the right of centre.
    I find this set-up easier to hold the small font in my left hand and pump with my right.

DSC09156.JPG

also the full bore tube takes less pumps to get to full pressure, and (IMHO) makes it easier to remove and replace the NRV.

DSC09157.JPG

In terms of reliability, both get 10/10.

5. richmay

richmay SotM Winner Subscriber

@presscall

I see Twoberth beat me to it :)

It is just one of my favourite stoves, my uncle used to have one when I was younger and used to make a brews at the beach or when out on day trips, which I now use one occasionally when out and about, there just seems something uniquely British about the stove.

The unique noise the 17B makes when going full bore

The 96 never seems to burn as hot as the 17B

and pretty much all that Twoberth said above

Having said that others think the 96 is better, but I prefer the 17B.

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Fair comment @Twoberth and @richmay. Regarding the pump bore I suppose that pressurising the little half-pinters is never going to be onerous though. Indeed, a 96 (the Monitor too presumably) is usually so eager to go that it’ll often self-pressurise enough on the priming charge to ignite the burner without use of the pump. Not many pumps to get it to be a screamer if you like that sort of thing.

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I'm a 17b fan, too, though I've never used the half-pinters enough to notice operational differences. I really like the tin graphics; the two little Monitors I have have pristine tins.

I've always looked upon the little lipstick stoves as very cool little jewels, but of limited utility. They are best for a wayside brew-up. There are about 9 separate loose parts to lose in camp, if I recall my counts from the past. So for me the go-to keroburning hikers are the one-pinters.