Monitor 300

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by presscall, Aug 3, 2017.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

THIS '300' I have is more original, but the example here has been tinkered with, having had a burner riser adaptor added to accommodate a silent burner, which happens to be a Primus.

IMG_5331.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

The only catalogue illustration in the Stove Reference Library for the Monitor 300 is this, which also appears in camping equipment retailer catalogues as well as Monitor's own. The illustration clearly shows a version (I assume earlier) of the 300 with an on-tank pressure release valve, no obvious location for the travelling cap and a pump located on the stove tank shoulder and not mounted on the tank wall as in my examples.

IMG_5359.JPG

That stove has a lipstick burner with a roarer plate and silent burner converter cap.

This pair of illustrations depicts a model 315 with a silent burner (No.315) and a roarer (No.311). The illustrations present a conundrum. The text accompanying each type includes the statement Fixed Legs only supplied yet the illustrations appear to show a collapsible stove leg arrangement in each case.

IMG_5360.JPG

Neither stove burner appears to have hexagon flats incorporated and most resembles the type of fitting I've encountered on a Primus 53 of this type - tapered threads on a burner riser mating with female threads in the stove tank, relying on a firm hand-grip to tighten and unscrew the burner of the collapsible stove.

IMG_5363.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

The plot thickens ... Iani presented THIS example of what is irrefutably a Monitor 315 (accompanied by its box) but that also doesn't match the illustration of a 315, though not that text reference to 'fixed legs only' by having fixed legs and a conventional burner mount to a riser fixed to the tank.

Iani also featured THIS 300 which is a dead ringer for the stove I feature in my post now. It too has an adaptor mount and a silent burner. What emerges from Iani's summary is that the (non-original) burner and riser combination was too tall and projected the burner cap above the pan ring. He'd to find a shorter burner to correct it.

Back to mine. The burner and riser combination is also too tall and although I could have lopped a half-inch (12.5mm) off the riser tube I decided instead to silbraze that dimension of extension rod to the base end of the pot rest legs - on the grounds that if a 'short' burner ever comes my way as Iani made use of I can remove that added length of leg but couldn't easily restore a cut-short burner riser tube.

Here are the legs with extensions in place.

IMG_5350.JPG

They create the right level for the pan ring.

IMG_5351.JPG

Some details to round off.

Stampings of manufacturer's name and country of origin.

IMG_5355.JPG

IMG_5356.JPG

A mention of a patent having been applied for on the keeper cap of this example that's absent from the other one I have. There's also a 'T' stamped on the airscrew blade that the other example doesn't have. No idea what that signifies.

IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5354.JPG

Lead washer seal.

IMG_5349.JPG

A distinctive characteristic of all '300' variations is the accentuated dome of the tank top. The brass is of heavy gauge and quality of construction is notably to a high standard. This photo also illustrates the extraordinary height of the fiiller cap/safety release valve/keeper cap stack.

IMG_5357.JPG

The safety release valve innards - photo borrowed from my other '300' example.

IMG_5362.JPG

As is often the case with our hobby, more questions than answers raised!

To close, flame shots.

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

John

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Very nice, John!

Cheers

Tony

3. G1gop

G1gop United Kingdom Subscriber

Interesting stove John.
    The keeper cap and SRV assy seems over engineered compared to the rest of the stove. Looks more something I would expect on say a four/six burner tar stove.
    Interesting how these things have developed over the years and how different manufacturers went about the same tasks.
    Alan

4. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Happily, I think I can solve this conundrum.

Back in analog printing days, illustrations like these were done with print blocks. Instead of having a special block for the entire page, the ad was put together from text letters and special blocks for logos and any illustrations. Like, for example this one, of a Clayton & Lambert plumber's furnace.

Print Block: ____ Resulting Image:
    ClaytonLambertBlock.jpg ClaytonLambertPrint.jpg

In the case of your Monitor, I suspect they already had print blocks for the collapsible 315 and 311 and, rather than go through the trouble and expense of having new blocks made, elected to print with the blocks they had, adding (4 times!) the caveat, "Fixed Legs Only".

....Arch

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I believe that Arch is correct that the printer used a past illustration and therefore had to include the information of being supplied with fixed legs.

Here is a Monitor 311 with the same illustration but specifically mentioning that 'All legs are detachable . . '.

Monitor 311.jpg

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I'm grateful for that illustration, Trevor.
    It's certainly a well-known phenomenon that's impacted time and time again on getting a model and date fix on stoves that crop up on CCS.

The illustrations timeline suggests that the 300 stove with lipstick burner and silent converter cap came first, closely followed by the 311 (roarer burner) and 315 (silent) collapsible stoves. The wording accompanying the illustration above, "now fitted with the type of roarer vapourising tube only supplied with the more expensive models" indicates that the introduction of a tubular roarer burner was a refinement of the first 'lipstick' 300, sufficient to give it a new model number. The 315 collapsible model with a silent burner fitted was an obvious addition to the range. In each case, they had the sort of burner mount fitted to the Primus 53 I pictured.

Following that, fixed leg versions of the 311 and 315 appeared, perhaps replacing the collapsible version altogether, or alongside it as an alternative option.

The stove I featured here surely isn't as it left the factory and nor was the example from Iani that it resembles. Simply, they wouldn't send it out with pot legs too short for the burner and riser tube assembly. Whether a silent burner was supplied that wasn't too tall is possible.

Clearly Monitor didn't bother to reflect any of the changes and updates this model line underwent in their catalogue illustrations - at least in the catalogues and illustrations that have come to light so far.