Monitor 'High Speed' picnic No.1

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by Mutepost, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mutepost

Hi All,

Have been lurking around the forum for a long time now and thought that it was high time I posted something: -

A few months ago I was given a pre 1950's Monitor 'High Speed' picnic No.1 that was in a sorry state and I set off on my first stove fettling project.

The stove was stripped down and left to soak in 'Coke' overnight which seemed to do a reasonable job of cleaning the years of gunk and tarnish from the parts (I have since used citric acid solution and found this to be much better).

1385129606-1_Soak.jpg

The NRV pip seemed to be made from cork and had become very hard and wasnt working very well so was replaced with a new viton one along with a new washer and pump leather set. The parts were given a final polish, oiled and reassembled.

1385129668-2_finished.jpg

The case was a bit more problematic as I was not sure how best to clean aluminium so I opted for a soft mop with a mild abrasive wax on a dremil and spent a good few hours cleaning.

1385129717-3_dremil.jpg

1385129839-4_case.jpg

Overall I was pretty happy with the results.

1385129920-5_in_case.jpg

See Next post for what happened

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Mutepost

After a good few hours fettling my 1950's Monitor 'High Speed' picnic No. I decided to fire up the stove in the kitchen so my wife could see the results of my hard work: -

1385130454-6_Pre_burn.JPG

A quick pre burn to get thinngs going and ..

1385130510-7_fire.JPG

Oh dear - wife not very impressed with me nearly setting the house on fire. Anyway I still managed to take a photo before running outside clutching my burning stove. It seems that the burner hole had become enlarged over time and needed some work. I read a few posts here on what to do and then set about peening around the top of the burner - I found a drill bit that was a good fit inside the burner to provide a form. After a few minutes of gentle hammering I replaced the burner, preheated and pumped but again had no luck. This time the burner hissed and produced a very small flame that went out almost immediately. Me thinks I have peened to much and made the hole too small (in fact the pricker does not fit :{ ).

So my first attempt has been a bit of a mixed bag. I am not being put off though and have had a much better result with a Primus 96 that I purchased recently from eBay and have been working on.

I still have a problem with the Monitor burner but as it appears that 0.23mm drill bits are very expensive it is unlikely that I will be able to drill the hole out. Of course, if anyone has some suggestions then please let me know.

Simon

3. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum. These are good solid stoves. The burner is pretty chunky and needs a good long pre-heat. The flames in your second picture suggest insufficient pre-heat leading to neat fuel coming out of the jet.

Terry

4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Did you make sure the air release screw was open during priming (ie no pressure)?

5. geneislucky

I personally love a stove returned to like new appearance. You have done a wonderful job with it. Good luck getting it running correctly. While I can offer no actual help, consider this moral support.
    Gene

6. Mutepost

Well after some further post reading I ended up asking the very competent Stu (loco7stove) from this very site if he could help – and of course he could.

He’s done a marvelous job of remedying my poor effort at peening the vaporizer hole and the burner now looks as good as new. Not only a top job but back in my shed in under a week – well done Stu.

1388698628-Complete.JPG

1388698708-Close_up.JPG

I was a little concerned that I had not pre-heated enough on my previous attempt (as per comments above) but decided that I would treat the vaporiser normally to begin with. The monitor was given a single pre-heat and much to my relief sprang into life with a few strokes of the pump.

1388698835-Burning.jpg

I am very happy with the result and can’t wait to give the stove a proper try-out in the wilds of South Wales.

7. ally

ally Subscriber

I'm a very happy owner of this stove as I like the stove/stand combo.

Where can I obtain a seal kit as although the stove works it loses pressure requiring continuous priming

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

The Fettlebox...

9. ally

ally Subscriber

David, am I being thick? I can only see 17B Monitor bits... ☺

10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

The Fettlebox/Spiritburner/Ross (all one person) produces a huge range of seals and will have what you want - at a guess they'll be standard Monitor ones. If not, he'll have the wherewithal to make them to suit.

Send him a PT - if he can't help, I'll eat a sheet of Viton... [-o<

11. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

@ Mute post.

Hi you made the best choice when finding
    STU, He rescued my ; 96 lipstick burner that I messed up, his screw in jet conversion is really good, & working
    PERFECTLY, 2 years on. Definately the man go too. Thank you again Stu.
    Best regards. Optimust. :clap:.