Monitor High Speed Picnic

Discussion in 'Monitor' started by Twoberth, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

This is an early Monitor HSP as it has the small spirit cup, but possibly not the earliest version as it is in a 'one rivet' cabinet (see here).

DSC09011.JPG

The cabinet is very clean with little sign of wear and tear.

DSC09012.JPG DSC09013.JPG DSC09014.JPG DSC09015.JPG

The burner is, I think, the earliest version with a small captive spirit cup. It is certainly pre-1950 patent as it had no burner slits (until I got at it) and a separate cast iron burner plate.

DSC09022.JPG

Because the burner bell tends to stick on the lipstick, I cut two slots (not very straight) in the collar as in the later burners.

DSC09020.JPG

The tank is the earliest version with male pump collar, knurled pump knob

DSC09025.JPG

and PARAFFIN ONLY stamped in a box on the side

DSC09032.JPG

Since it is designed to be used in the cabinet, the feet are nothing more than brass 'buns' soldered to the base

DSC09026.JPG

The stove is very well made with heavy tank and burner fittings, and a threaded lipstick for the travelling cap (aka the snuffer).

DSC09024.JPG

The snuffer is 'home made', with a larger hole to fit securely under the cabinet clip (I have no idea why the original snuffer hole was so small)

DSC09027.JPG DSC09015.JPG

After fitting a new filler lid washer, peening the lipstick and fitting a new brass gauze the stove worked straight away, although it needed a double prime to get the heavy burner plate and burner up to temperature. I now know why the later burners had a larger spirit cup!

DSC09003.JPG DSC09005.JPG DSC09007.JPG DSC09010.JPG DSC09009.JPG

The spanner fits under the tank when travelling,

DSC09030.JPG

and the box, box logo, cabinet decal and instructions are all copies of the originals - thanks to photos posted on this site

DSC09031.JPG

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations @Twoberth , it's in great condition. :thumbup:

Nice touch making a new box and label to protect the stove.