Monitor MOD advice needed please

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by smojo, Nov 8, 2018.

1. smojo

Hi guys. Bought this 1956 Monitor MOD stove at a junk shop for £5. I have limited experience with pressure stoves so asking a bit of advice please. Having looked at some photos I'd say it is missing the vapour cup spreader thingy off the top (sorry don't know it's proper title).

Q1 - Does anyone know of a cheap supplier? (got to be less than the stove itelf)
    Q2 - Can one be made and how and?
    Q3 - Does anyone know the dimensions of the cup
    Q4 - The finish almost looks like it has been sprayed with brass paint rather then solid. Is that possible or is it just a rough cast and will it polish up or should I just clean it as best I can
    Q5 - I have another small stove in it's original tin. The paintwork is very poor and dull and slightly rusty. To brighten it and preserve it from further deterioration can I give it a coat of something like a wax product?

Thanks in anticipation of your answers.

[​IMG]

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

3. kerophile

Many of these MoD stoves had a sprayed gold paint finish over a normal brass tank. You can see it in the 1953 Monitor link I provided above.
    I would go for original finish if it is not too damaged....save you a lot of time polishing the tank!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

4. smojo

Thats brilliant thanks. Mine is like the second link. The parts are cheap enough so just need to decide which size is suitable.

5. smojo

Thanks

6. smojo

Trying to get photo to show up and struggling

7. smojo

8. smojo

9. smojo

Ha done it but it's massive!

10. smojo

A bit confused at how the inner and outer fit. The spares shown at parafinalia suggest mine is medium size. The dimensions quoted show the inner medium to be 6cm dia and the outer only 5.3 mm!

11. kerophile

There is a gap between inner and outer caps to promote mixing of the fuel vapour and air before it emerges from the multiple holes in the outer cap and is ignited.

Looking at the top of the burner, the inner cap sits on the raised area, the vaporisation chamber, and the outer cap sits over the inner cap, just inboard of the multiple penetrations in the skirt of the burner.

Trust this helps,
    Kerophile.

12. kerophile

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/instructions 3.htm

Cap dimensions:

Primus No.5 stove;
    Inner Cap = 39.5mmOD, 42mmOD on bottom lip. Centre hole diam. = 16.4mm. Max Height = 16mm
    Outer Cap = 44.6mm OD, 47mm on bottom lip. Max. Height = 26mm. 4 Rows of holes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  13. smojo

Thanks for the dims that's really helpful.