Monitor No1

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by henry8, Aug 25, 2020.

1. henry8 United Kingdom

x1.jpg
    y.jpg
    Just arrived today reason for buying this one was it was sold as parts missing and i thought i could use it for spares for my 17b (shows my lack of knowledge )apart from parts missing it looks pristine you will see it goes inside a box also burner is missing anyone any idea where spares can be found

Thanks henry8

2. Jacques Van Der Rijst

Jacques Van Der Rijst South Africa Subscriber

Beautiful little stove Henry - hope you find all missing parts and get it lit up to appreciate.

3. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice stove @henry8 .

I am probably being a bit pedantic here, but your stove is not a No.1 cabinet stove, but it is a High Speed Picnic stove. The two stoves are very similar, but some of the differences are detailed here.

The main details that differentiate your HSP stove from the earlier No. 1 are the filler lid with the air screw and the burner with the threaded section. Both these features are on the HSP, but are not on the No.1.

With regard to spares for the 17B, the good news is that the burners and filler caps on the 17B and HSP are interchangeable, as is the pump but not the pump lid (The lid on the 17B has a female thread and the HSP has a male thread). I would imagine the NRVs are interchangeable as well but I haven't tried.

Here is a comparison of the two tanks (17B on the left). The filler lid on the older HSP is larger than the 17B, but the thread is the same.

2020-08-25 003 001.JPG

Spares from elsewhere are hard to find. Washers, pump cup (which is the larger 2-pint size) are available from the Fettlebox, but by far the easiest way to get spares for a 17B is to buy another 17B, and in general spares from the Swedish equivalent 1/2 pint stoves will not fit.

4. henry8 United Kingdom

Thanks both
    Have bought seals from fettlebox for 17 b should fit I think one of the nicest stoves I have ever seen
    PS have seen the differences it's pre 1954

5. Twoberth

I think Swedish burner bells will fit your Monitor lipstick burner, but a Swedish lipstick will not fit on your Monitor tanks. There is loads of information on this site about Monitor stoves, (my favourite make).

6. henry8 United Kingdom

Two berth many thanks I think I saw on eBay South Korea outfit selling lipsticks which fitted all type stoves which used them

7. henry8 United Kingdom

Twoberth yourself being knowledgeable on these stoves maybe you can help
    DSC03650.JPG
    Stove on the right is the one that came with the case i bought recently you will see it has a larger meths cup but the wrong filler cap, however what i want to ask is correct assy of the pump
    DSC03653.JPG
    DSC03654.JPG
    DSC03655.JPG
    When assembled there seems to be quite a bit of play at the cup washer wondering if some thing is missing
    DSC03657.JPG
    DSC03658.JPG
    Nrv removable socket
    Snap On 9/32" drive something iv`e had since my apprenticeship wee bit loose but does the job don`t ask why i removed it

8. Twoberth

Hi, that looks right for the assembly. There should be ‘play’ so the leather piston assembly can move towards the front of the pump shaft to let the air in on the pull stroke. Then the assembly slides backwards to seal on the push stroke.

Nice idea with the Snap on.

9. Twoberth

This is a link to a thread posted by @kerophile which explains it better.

10. Twoberth

Hi @henry8
    Does your assembly make a good seal and pump air into the tank? If it does then fine, if not you may need to make some changes.

The reason I ask is that, on closer inspection of your photos, your stove seems to have the wrong slotted piston fitted. This is the brass part that fits inside the leather. The piston you have is probably off a 2 pint stove and not the original one.

I have just taken the pump out of one of my Monitor HSPs and out of a 2 pint stoves, the Monitor is on the left.

2020-09-26 001 001.JPG

2020-09-26 001 006.JPG

Although these stoves have the same size pump leather, the Monitor had a thinner shaft.
    It consequently had a different shaped brass piston to make the seal.

2020-09-26 001 002.JPG 2020-09-26 001 003.JPG 2020-09-26 001 004.JPG

11. henry8 United Kingdom

I would say the one I have is the one on the right with the bevel on the inside of the screwed part. When pumping you can feel pressure being applied after about 4 strokes it feels less pressure is being applied. The one on the right looks like the hsps judging by the Male attachment thread on the pump fitting.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  12. henry8 United Kingdom

Correction it would appear I have the one on the right but with the correct pump attachment