Monitor Stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by lamplighter, Dec 16, 2014.

1. lamplighter

Have acquired this monitor "stove" but there are no model numbers apart from a stencilled number on the base A.E.O.A 4.
    It has been crudely stamped Monitor on the side

Has anybody any ideas of its model number and use?
    1418761437-IMG_0532.JPG 1418761472-IMG_0534.JPG 1418761556-IMG_0533.JPG 1418761688-IMG_0536.JPG 1418761730-IMG_0538.JPG 1418761769-IMG_0535.JPG

Cheers
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Chef BC

Yes, Hello Steve, you can certainly say it is a unique stove, looks like it was intended to have the low slung burner to slide underneath a large pot or kettle. You might try looking in the library or catalogs under Great Britain which are divided up by manufacturers.
    If you plan to fill.it with fuel and ignite it please take the time to give it a thorough overhaul; non return valve, pump leather and a leak check. Most of all have fun and be safe.

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Steve, Your stove could be a variant of the Monitor No.78 Heavy duty stove (which has an Imperial gallon tank).
    Have a look at this thread and see what you think:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/5147

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. 1966dave

I think these stoves are for heating engines in cold weather. I saw something very similar and they talked about having to heat the thick oil in the crank case so that it could turn over.

Dave

5. kerophile

Hi, The stencilled letters look like MEOA 4 to me.

Malaysian Estate Owners Association.

Obviously for use on Rubber Estates.

But it is a Monitor stove.

Kerophile.

6. kerophile

Hi, the burner is unusual and not one I have seen on a Monitor stove before. It looks very like the type of burner covered in this 1920s Kenrick Patent:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/40

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Sedgman

Hi, I believe the above 'stove' to be a Monitor Furnace though I have not a picture of that one. However in ads around early 30s there is quoted to be 3 types of furnaces 'for industrial purposes' and 'suitable for melting lead, bending pipe etc etc' and the image I have seen matches up with the one in the link referred to above. I suspect the triple head unit also in the above link is probably either one of the remaining two types or perhaps even an earlier or later type. Monitor of course made normal looking stoves, blowtorches, brazing units and some camping type stoves which are probably in the Gallery but I haven't looked. Hope this helps.

Iain Sedgman

8. kerophile

Hi, Monitor supplied the British military and NATO forces with Medical Sterilizer units based on their 2 pint domestic models.
    It is quite possible that they also supplied larger Sterilizer units based on the one-gallon furnace.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

It's also similar in many ways to the Monitor Bath Heater seen here:-

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/25417

I've got two of these in storage and I know another member has shown his at Newark. I had no idea of their intended purpose until I saw the instruction sheet shown in Terry's post linked to above.

Mine made quite a show when I had it running at Newark around 2006/2007. The video is on here somewhere...

11. kerophile

Hi, a very large number of the 2-pint Monitor stoves came on the UK market as NOS in the mid-late 1990s when the ex-NATO strategic forward stores were sold off when RAF/Army Burtonwood, near Warrington was closed and decommissioned.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Burtonwood

https://www.gulliversfun.co.uk/warrington/burtonwood-heritage-centre.htm

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/b/burtonwood/

Many of these stoves were without legs as they were intended for use in Sterilizer units.

I have both a 2 pint stove, and the gallon capacity No.78 which I believe came from this dispersal.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

I was shrewd enough to get one of those two-pint Monitors when I could, cracking good stove, they are!

Wasn't there a burner made for vulcanizing rubber, was on the forum a while back?

Murph

13. lamplighter

Thanks for all the information, certainly it looks very similar to the 3 burner model 78 however there is no evidence of there having been feet under the tank.
    The burner is huge, standing some 280mm tall and around 150mm in diameter.
    The plan is to try and get it running over Christmas, depending on the outcome will post some images of the unit running...hopefully
    Cheers
    Steve

14. lamplighter

First Stage restoration completed.
    This certainly does not have the finish quality of the Bath heater. The bottom ring is a steel band that has been quite crudely soldered on and the damage to the top when it was brazed together is very apparent.

Next stage will be a full pressure test but NRV still letting by so new seals required and spring.

Having cleaned the burner the letter SBC are pressed into the Spirit cup.....Any Ideas ?

1419173679-Whole_unit_A.jpg

1419173728-tank.jpg

1419173751-burnerA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015