Montana de Oro Meet

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Gordon, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Gordon

Stovies, One and All:

Just returned from my 300+ mile jaunt to the south. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Doc, Baja and their respective families at a wonderful get together for like minded stovies. Baja should be home by now but had to be at work soon after his return. Doc is leaving the campgrounds tomorrow and will be home not to long thereafter. Together we had about 100+ stoves on display for all to see and may have generated a few converts. We had many camping visitors and a great time giving "tours" of the treasures on display. There WILL be a lot of pictures when Doc get back to his abode. \:D/ \:D/

I still have issues with photobucket ](*,) ](*,) :-k Doc tells me that Chuck W. has a set of instructions that even I might understand :-k =D> If you get this Chuck how 'bout a set to ogordont@sbcglobal. If you need info re my computer let me know.

This first night we had my famous :roll: :roll: beef stew, corn bread and roasted corn, which we all seemed to have survived. [-o< [-o< Baja, Jo Ann and their clan kicked in with a giant bowl of secret [-X 8) delectable sweet beans and delicious sausages the next day at lunch. =D> :lol: :lol: Doc's Sweet Bride served fresh baked blueberry and walnut scones to die for \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> yesterday morning. This morning I had the unique honor of downing some fresh baked from scratch biscuits. Doc has what has got to be the best camp oven I have ever seen and Sweet Bride plays it like a fine violin producing some of the best "music" you have ever tasted. =D> =D> :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ If this weren't enough she and Doc whipped up a pot of Chicken Coc Au Vin over cuscus for dinner last night. When we were done there was barely enough left to barely dampen the pot. Whereas we had enough of my beef stew left over to feed the campers to either side of our camp site. I tried my best but my culinary skills [-X pale :-({|= in the shadow Sweet Bride Cynthia's finely honed art.

If Baja, Doc and their families are representative of the average Stovie then we, my friends, are a great group of folks!!! =D> =D> =D>

We all have a bunch of terrific pics to up load as soon as we are able.

The last word, for this post anyway, is that it only takes a few stovies to make a "get together" and have a great meet, particular if some of the families come along. SO.........................lets not let the dust settle before we plan the next one!!! :lol: :lol:

Gordon

2. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

As promised, here are a few photo's...
    I seem to have forgotten to take any pic's of mine and Doc's treasures... :oops: :oops: :?
    In no particular order:

Doc
    th_100_0633.jpg
    JoAnne and Cynthia
    th_100_0634.jpg
    You have to push the button, Doc !
    th_100_0629.jpg
    What the hell is that ?
    th_100_0626.jpg
    Gordon at work...
    th_100_0620.jpg
    th_100_0619.jpg
    th_100_0618.jpg
    th_100_0617.jpg
    th_100_0616.jpg

th_100_0611.jpg
    th_100_0608.jpg
    th_100_0604.jpg
    Docs toys
    th_100_0602.jpg
    Gordon's toys
    th_100_0601.jpg
    th_100_0600.jpg
    th_100_0599.jpg
    th_100_0598.jpg
    th_100_0597.jpg
    th_100_0596.jpg
    th_100_0595.jpg
    th_100_0594.jpg
    th_100_0590.jpg
    OOOOH, shiney ! :p
    th_100_0589.jpg
    We have visitors...
    th_100_0587-1.jpg
    th_100_0587.jpg
    th_100_0588.jpg
    th_100_0586.jpg
    th_100_0585.jpg
    Messy kitchen
    th_100_0584.jpg
    The coleman oven, baking cornbread, atop the stove formerly known as Davids # 2 :D
    th_100_0582.jpg
    MMM,Smoked sausages and eggs !
    th_100_0581.jpg
    Campfire
    th_100_0576.jpg
    Dinner, Beef stew, cornbread, potato salad,green salad. Buuurp ! :D
    th_100_0572.jpg
    th_100_0571.jpg
    th_100_0575.jpg
    th_100_0566.jpg
    th_100_0565.jpg
    What is that stinky thing? Notice Cynthia leaning away ! :lol:
    th_100_0569.jpg
    Sweet Bride and Doc
    th_100_0570.jpg
    Gordon.
    th_100_0564.jpg
    We'll have to wait til Doc gets home for the rest !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  3. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Based on the stove lighting photos I'd guess Gordon and David are related, perhaps separated at birth. ;)

A truly great group of photos, the food looks especially good. The fact that I am starving at the moment does not help the cause any.

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Can't wait for Gordon's and Doc's photos and commentaries.

5. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Terrific stuff!
    Among other things, it's great to see Gordon's Germans. 8)

6. Gordon

Ed:

Look close and you will also see three Austrians, two different model NOKOs in round cases \:D/ and a nickel plated 625 we fired up. The 625 is a sensitive little beast!! :-k Look at it the wrong way [-( and it would under burn in a heart beat!!! ](*,) There is also the one and only French military stove/lantern set in the same case, the big aluminum case. ;) Lastly, for now, there is the little dual fount, self pressurizing, military "mystery" stove. 8) :-$

Gordon

7. TrainManny

Hi Fellows,

Wow, it looks like you Folks had an amazing time. I'm a bit confused about all jackets in the middle of summer. What happened to sunny California.

I agree with Alan, the food photos have me ready to eat. =P~ I love corn bread.

There are some really cool stoves in those photos. What are the stoves in the round tins? They look like a kinder gentle version of the 8R. :lol: I want one!

Cheers,

Manny

8. Gordon

Manny:

The round tin stoves are the NOKOs from Austria.

This camp site is on the coast and the water off of the California coast is COLD, 47 to about 54 degrees F. When it gets hot inland it creates a thermal low pressure. This low draws air in from the coast toward the inland valleys and creates an onshore breeze. Of course this air mass moving in from over the cold water is in the form of cold fog. Tis why San Francisco is so cold in the summer. Inland Sacramento, on the other hand is HOT. We were at the camp for about 72 hours and actually saw the sun for about 1 to 2 hours total, if that.

By the way we toyed with the thought of lighting off each and every stove all at once. We were looking to create the "butterfly' effect for benifit of England and shift your weather into a dry cycle. But, upon reflection, we decided not to risk making things worse, having no control once we began the process. They might track a record July blizzard back to Montana de Oro and our asses would be on the line in short order. As they say, "It is not nice to fool with Mother Nature."

Sure hope that things quickly get back to normal for our British brothers.

Gordon

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Gordon

Our meet at Usha Gap at the weekend could have done with a change in the weather. If you meet again, please light all your stoves because the weather here could not have been worse for Friday and Saturday in what is supposed to be our best summer weather.

10. Henry

Come to think of it, you never see them together ;)

Looks like you all had a great time.

More pics, more pics. :D :D

11. Gordon

Chuck W.: I just noticed that my email was incomplete. It should be: ogordont@sbcglobal.net Need Photo Bucket for Dummies.

Gordon

12. CWilkins

CWilkins Subscriber

Gordon,
    You are all set!

Chuck

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Gents,

I must echo Gordon and Baja's comments: The first CA Stove Gathering was an outstanding success, and we all had a fantastic time spending some fun days enjoying our stoves, and one another's company!!!

Glad to know that you all made it home, safe and sound, too! Sweet Bride and I are now in SLO, preparing for our work gig up this way, which begins on Thursday. Until then, we're recuperating, and actually slept 11 hours last night!! :shock: :shock: We never sleep that much, but setting up and tearing down our camp, rather got the best of us! We still have some preparatory work to do before our gig begins, so tomorrow, we'll be busy with that.

I have a few over 80 photos through which I must sort, and then will post some of the good ones here! Lots of good ones from which to pick, too, including some really fine "conflagration" photos featuring Gordon "Shouksmith"!!! (Brother, twice removed, of a certain rather famous British Shouksmith!!):lol: :shock: :lol: :D

The company couldn't have been better, our stoves were a huge hit with the other campers, and the food was simply fantastic!! The only things missing were more of our Stove Brothers! For those that wanted to make the trip, and for one reason or another, could not: You missed a truly fantastic adventure, my Friends, and we're sorry you could not have joined us in all the wonderful fun we shared!! Hopefully, you can make it next time!

I'll try to get time to sort through, and then post my photos soon. Until then, to Steve and JoAnne, and to Gordon, thanks, very much, for your fine company, your willingness to share, and your participation in what will always be a wonderful memory for Sweet Bride and me!! We may have been a small group, but I think we all had the same wonderful experience in being together for this meet! We're already looking forward to the next CA Stove Gathering!!

By the way, for our Brit Brothers, the fellow who camped next to Sweet Bride and me, was using an old Tilley stove!! More info, and some good photos, to follow! (Every other camper in that campground, besides Steve and JoAnne, Gordon, and Sweet Bride and me, was using propane!!)Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark and Sweet Bride

P.S. Note: The old Blue Bird oven, which came with that 1920's gravity-fed kero stove I bought recently, was flat-out the very best camp oven I've ever seen, or about which I've ever heard!!! Fantastic performer, no matter whether the needed temperature was 425?, or 600?!!! It came to temperature quickly and easily, and could hold whatever temp you need, all day long, without so much as breaking a sweat!! Truly amazing performance, especially from such an old timer as this oven is!! More later......

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Lads,

Well, try as I might, to winnow the number of photos down to something managable, I still had over 40 photos left, when all the dust settled! So, I've decided to post them in 4 parts, and this is part 1. Here we go:

We've just arrived at Montana de Oro Campground, said our "Hellos", and started to setup our camp. As my knees are still a bit dicey, we decided to use some of our Living History tents, and that proved to be a very wise decision! Note the old Coleman 426B, which is the junker stove I bought for $6.96, and the soon to be revered 1920's Blue Bird oven!! More about them both, later.

DSCN3188.jpg

Here, we're moving right along, and will soon have our camp ship-shape. Sweet Bride takes a bit of a rest, as I snap this pic!

DSCN3189.jpg

Baja Bum, and Mrs. Bum, aka Steve and JoAnne, fresh from the showers at the State Park Campground, a few miles away! My, don't they look like a fresh young couple!! :D You can see their neat pop-up trailer in the background.

DSCN3190.jpg

Gordon was providing the major dishes for dinner on that night, but Sweet Bride cobbled up a fanastic cast iron of cornbread, which was done perfectly in the old Blue Bird oven! You can tell she is very satisfied with the performance of this old oven, which dates to the mid 1920's!!

DSCN3191.jpg

Here's Gordon's sumptuous beef stew, along with Sweet Bride's cornbread and fresh salad. Behind those goodies is a bowl of roasted corn, which Gordon cooked perfectly! Yum Yum!!

DSCN3192.jpg

After having seen me eat, many folks say that God put wings on the seagulls, so that they could beat me to the dump!!! Here's my plate, the first of two helpings!! :shock: :oops: 8) :lol:

DSCN3193.jpg

We all had a fine dinner, and that set the pace for the rest of our time at the first CA Stove Gathering: fine food, friendship, and fun!!

The next morning, Sweet Bride made some scratch blueberry and walnut scones, which disappeared very quickly! She had lots of fresh butter, lemon curd, and peach/ginger relish, to adorn her wonderful scones, and here, I'm enjoying the hell out of one of them!! My, my, but these were fantastic!! Sweet Bride, and the rest of us, were beginning to fall in deep love with that old Blue Bird oven!!!!

DSCN3197.jpg

Breakfast finished, and dishes done and put away, it was time to get out our stoves, and have some fun!! Here, Steve and I enjoy watching Gordon setup his selection of neat stoves! He displayed a fine spread of German stoves, with a few Austrian, some US, and even one French version tossed in, just for fun! The oldest stove on his table, unless I missed my guess, was a very neat little Meths jobbie, which dated to around 1887!

DSCN3198.jpg

Steve, too, had brought some wonderful stoves from his collection, and here's his table! I loved the variety of stoves that Baja brought to show, and also his very sharing nature! More about that, in a future part of this post! Nice stoves, Steve!! (Stay tuned for a priceless photo of your new Grandson!!!)

DSCN3201.jpg

As I wrote in a previous thread about this Gathering, deciding which stoves would make the trip, and which had to stay home, was akin to deciding which of your children would be deemed safe, and which would have to face a firing squad!! :shock: :cry: So, I ended up bringing WAY too many stoves, if such a thing is possible!!! ;) 8) :lol: :D

Here's a shot of some of them.

DSCN3202.jpg

And, to end Part 1 of this 4-part post, here is the very first backpacking stove that Sweet Bride and I bought, back in the early 1980's! This little Coleman Model 400 Peak 1, has been all over Southern California, both up in the Sierra Nevada, and down into the Mojave Desert! It's been to Texas and back, and spent a few years up in Minnesota, where it did Yeoman service up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness! It's worked in freezing temps at the Grand Canyon, and in every other situation in which we've used it, and it's never let us down!! This wonderful stove is still working like a champ, after all these years, and beside it, you can also see our first backpacking lantern, our Coleman 222, which is also still functioning perfectly!! I compared the older Coleman lantern, to the newer Exponent version of this little guy, and am sorry to say that the new one is a Piker, compared to the old one!!! Why? Who knows. But, the older lantern needed FAR less pumping, and put out much more light, than the new one. Go figure....

DSCN3203.jpg

Next time, I'll post more photos of our very first CA Stove Gathering! Though attendance was light, which we expected, the Gathering was successful by any measure, and all of us involved are looking forward to our next chance to get together! Sweet Bride and I drove 6 hours to reach the Gathering, and it was well worth the effort!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark and Sweet Bride

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Outstanding, Doc! Keep 'em coming....

16. spudz

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

To all concerned.

Looks great. :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. bark2much

Mmmmmmmmmmm... Doc, it was yummy to watch and smell the food. Great pictures and display. Look forward to more!

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Gents,

Many thanks!

Tonight, before we head off to bed, I'm posting part 2 of the 4-part post on the CA Stove Gathering. Sweet Bride and I are celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary, this Friday, and every night this week, we plan on having a nice dinner, and enjoying one another's company! Tonight, we had a fine Italian meal, and now are ready for some quiet time in our room. But, before bedtime, here's part 2 of the CA Stove Gathering!

Here are a few more shots of the stoves that I brought to the festivites.

DSCN3204.jpg

DSCN3205.jpg

DSCN3206.jpg

DSCN3207.jpg

Picking these stoves, from the entire collection, was a VERY hard thing to do! I dearly love all of them, and had a hard time not bringing them all!!

Here's Steve, standing in the midst of "Stove Central" at the Montana de Oro Campground! Cool!

DSCN3208.jpg

Gordon displays a wonderful French setup, which not only had a nice little stove, but also this cool little lantern, as well!

DSCN3209.jpg

Quite a few of our campground neighbors came around to see what caused all the hubbub. Most of them were very impressed, and were a ready audience. Here, Gordon talks to a few Gals who happened by.

DSCN3212.jpg

Steve talks stoves with one of three sisters from South Africa. They dearly LOVED seeing all our stoves, and told me that it reminded them of their folks and all the different types of stoves that they had used "in the old days"!! Neat gals, all three!

DSCN3213.jpg

It was really fun to see the interest that our stoves cooked up amongst our fellow campers! Now, remember, every single Mother's Son of them was using propane for their cooking!! So, to see the depth and breadth of all the stoves that Gordon, Steve, and I brought to the CA Stove Gathering, pretty much gobsmacked the lot of them! Their interest was gratifying and quite satisfying, too!

DSCN3217.jpg

Tonight's final shot features our winner of the Youngest Stovie Award! It goes to Steve and JoAnne's 4 month old Grandson, Elliott!! Please note, my Friends, that young Elliott already has his sights set on acquiring a nice Optimus 111!!! Yes, he's obviously hooked, and at such a young age, too! Great to get them so young and impressionable!!! ;) 8) :lol: Baja, you should be a very proud Grandpa, my Friend!!

DSCN3218.jpg

I LOVE that shot!!! More photos to come, so stay tuned, Lads! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. Headless_T_Gunner

I am totally enjoying the photos and commentary. What were nuns from South Africa doing there?

20. Lance

I'd of sooner gone to the California meet than New Orleans but then i'd have missed meeting two fine lads from the SE Texas crowd. Next time it will be better.

I can smell and taste the grub from here in Colorado so i know it was good.

WELL DONE LADS

A fine meet all around.

lance

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015