(More) pressure stoves on Norwegian TV

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by aktopp, Jul 16, 2013.

1. aktopp

At several occasions I have posted links to stove related stuff on Norwegian TV. For some years now I have been looking for an episode of "Antikviteter og snurrepiperier/Antiques & Oddities" where Arne Paulsen, the president of Norsk Primusunion, was a guest. I have now found the program on NRK's web-site. The program was sent on December 29th 1998.

The program has a total length of 39 minutes. The most interesting parts for stovies are the first 21 minutes and from 26:30 and out. Arne has brought part of his collection to the studio, and is interviewed about his stoves. A celebrity chef, Frode Aga, cooks the dish Puspas on one of Arne's stoves. Don't know if you will understand anything of the Norwegian speech, but stoveish is international I think ...

Enjoy : Link to program.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

A very interesting way to spend 30 minutes. Almost exactly like a visit to Ross's - the stoves just kept coming out!

It was a bit like UK television from the late 60s - early 70s, I suppose. I'd hate to think how long it would hold most people's attention these days. Probably about 3 seconds before they turned over for some crappy 'soap' or (un)reality TV shitfest - bah! :evil:

Anyway, I can tell you the Norwegian and Geordie for potato is pronounced exactly the same - per-tayyy-teh. Also the mention of 'lobscouse was interesting. And I thought Arne might have worn a more appropriate T-shirt (what happened to the CCS ones?), or at least ironed the one he wore! :lol:

Also, you need a wickie-crap warning at 19.00 - 19.10. Oh, and a carbide one as well... ;) :lol:

3. Derek R.

1960's Blue Peter for grown-ups. I liked the simplicity of the recipe and surprised it all cooked so quickly (unless it was a 'one we made earlier').
    Loved it.

Definitely a connection in speech to the North East, Gallic and Gaelic, and probably all the way round the coast to Cornwall and beyond to Brittany.

Thanks Arne.

4. aktopp

Oh, sorry, I misspelled the dish. Should of course be "puspas" ;)

Interesting to notice the similarities in pronunciation.

As for the karbide warning, David. The program host asks if the stove runs on karbide. Arne rejects this, it is a paraffin stove. The stove is a Høvik No. 44, a rather rare find even in Norway.

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Glad to hear that, Arne! ;) :lol:

I heard the word 'carbide' and then was confused by the depth of the container and tank - and those extra knobs. Looks like a nice stove for someone to have... :thumbup:

Yeah, I think PusPus is a Korean dish somewhat similar to BowWow. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Thanks Arne, I enjoyed that!
    I'm sure there is another program featuring Arne Paulson & the NPU where they ride onto set on their motorbikes. I think it is almost as much a bike club as anything else.

When I visited Arne Aasgaard I got one of the NPU badges. I was also very happy to find the Høvik No. 44 you linked.

1374348229-npu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  7. JonD

JonD United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks to David for the best laugh in a long time re: Korean dishes

8. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Aktopp!
    Thanks very much for the interesting watch & read. With the subtitles I was able to understand 90% of it.

What is the stove which is said to have started the Norsk Primusunionen? The stove Poulsen got from his dad? (stove is shown at 3:27.) It looks to have been made in Russia.

Great to see the variety of stoves he had. I spotted several Primuses, Höviks and other new to me stoves.

Frank

9. aktopp

Hi Frank!

The stove Poulsen got from his father is a Norwegian Høvik Verk Standard No. 41. A rather common stove in Norway.

The sticker on the tin, with the letters MCEK, must have been put there by the owner. MCEK is a motorcycle club. Information can be found on their web page, unfortunately mostly in Norwegian: Link to MCEK .