1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR FIREFLY

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by teletim, May 11, 2012.

1. teletim United Kingdom

Hi
    Looks like it has not been used before I got my hands on it.
    The simmering on it is fantastic.
    Home made windshield which has a bit more work to do on it.
    I will look out for a alloy bowl,this is made from stainless steel dog bowl something I doubt I will ever carry in my pack but saying that it is very strong.
    If I decide to replace the rubber tube with a metal braided type I will use an ordinary heat and windshield
    1336734413-IMG_0156_opt.jpg

1336734446-IMG_0003_opt.jpg 1336734460-IMG_0006_opt.jpg 1336734477-IMG_0008_opt.jpg 1336734496-IMG_0010_opt.jpg 1336734524-IMG_0016_opt-1.jpg 1336734538-IMG_0020_opt-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

Nice score!

Yonadav

3. snwcmpr United States

Nice pictures, too.

I have been told another reason for the unique windscreen is the aluminum base to the stove, not just to keep the hose cool.

Ken

4. teletim United Kingdom

Thanks Yonadav I had been looking at Dragonflys for a while but seem to hold there price,this will do me for base type backpacking trips.

Hi Ken
    I used my two part windscreen and heat reflector of my XGK after running every thing for a good hour or so.
    I found nothing getting hot with or without the two part windshield from my XGK.

I think the fancy windshield is for group cooking when you are doing a lot of simmering in all types of weather when long cooking periods and fine simmering is needed.
    I note they also had a hanging kit which had no windshield attached.

I think at some point I will change the rubber hose to a metal braided type.
    I thought the Firefly is running as hot and as powerful as a XGK,what do you think?
    The stove at full roar with the little rubber hose is a bit alarming.
    If the windshield was made to backpack I think MSR would have come up with something more durable.
    1336752186-DownloadedFile_opt.jpg

1336752202-105558317_opt-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Tim, a different windscreen was my thoughts too, to then market the stove better. How can you pack the thing without it getting damaged? Enjoy, they are all fun. I see your results with heat transfer are the same as my observations. I have two of these, one was a virgin last year until I fired it up, has all the goodies and box, stinky stuff sack even. One of my pieces of gold.
    Duane

6. snwcmpr United States

Tim,
    I do think it is a powerful stove, but don't know enough to compare it.
    Did you put the heat reflector above the valve and below the burner?
    With the windscreen on, can you still get to the valve?

Ken

7. teletim United Kingdom

Hi Ken
    The windshield was above the valve spindle ,the only reason I did that was to protect the rubber pipe however i don't think it really does not gets that hot.

Spares,I see it has standard XGK jets,O rings are easy enough to come by anything else?

Love these MSR stoves,seems a lot have tried to copy the remote fuel type stove but know one has come near to it.
    I had used a early style Optimus Nova for a couple of years ............. lump of jump compared to these MSR's

Duane I think this stove with a metal sheath fuel line would be easy to use as the Dragon fly

8. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Tim, I have two Dragonflys too. :) My fuel line seems ok on both of my FF's, I'll have to inspect them closer, the one was never used and the other shows little usage. I picked up a used Brunton Nova a few weeks ago, seems ok, I'll have to take it on a bp trip later.
    Duane

9. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Rubber has a finite life and those fabric covered hoses are very old.They will fail from the inside and one day you get the surprise of a jet of fuel pointing straight at the burner from the middle of the hose.
    They dont always fail catastrophically but you can bet on yours being the only stove in your tramping party when it does. Also it will be the second day of a 5 day hike and it will be raining.
    Most car manuals say everything rubber should be replaced every 6 years We all know that doesnt happen but its not often that a rubber failure on a car buts lives at risk.

10. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Hi Tim,

Congrats on the FireFly. You've got quite a nice one.

all the best,
    sam

11. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Looking through the Stove Ref Gallery I don't think Tim will mind if I add a footnote to this entry, which is that his Firefly turned out to be defective and leaked fuel from the burner body - nothing to do with spindle seals or a failed fuel hose or fitting.

Tim asked me to repair it, which I covered HERE a while ago.

The Firefly had to be stripped down before I could examine the parts and locate the problem.

image.jpg

The aluminium spacer on which the stove pot rests/legs pivot was too long ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

... preventing the riser tube from making a seal with the base of the tapped hole in the burner body and the pressurised fuel was finding its way past the threads and leaking out

image.jpg

image.jpg

Repair was to reduce the length of the spacer a fraction, which enabled the riser tube to make a seal in the body, still retaining enough clearance for the pot rests/legs to pivot freely on the riser.

John

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

HUZZAH, John!!

Very well done, my friend!! As always, your work, and the reports and photos that you post about it, are wonderful, and very much appreciated!!

As to packing the Firefly for trail use, I've done this for many years, and whilst the windscreen "does" get a little bent up, it has never failed. The key is to use tapered pots, like those from the Optimus 81Trapper!! Also, pots from the Optimus Loke 85, and other tapered pots, will work nicely. You can pack your FF inside the pot, then insert your pot into the windscreen, and pop the works into a stuff sack, where it is kept safe and sound. That's worked for me, anyway, and should work for others that would like a better packing setup than what you get with straight-sided pots. Thanks, again, for your wonderful fettle, John, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. In my experience, the FF boils water a tad faster than the X-GK, and simmers wonderfully! It's also one of the loudest backpacking stoves I've ever used!! No big deal, to me, but others might find it a bit noisy. I rather like that nice, confident roar that the FF makes when it's "singing"!!