MSR Fuel Bottles

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Waylon Spencer, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Waylon Spencer United States

Does anyone have a source or picture to view the full line of MSR bottles ever made? I have been collecting and am only missing 4 to my knowledge.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Waylon Spencer ,

Welcome to CCS! I don't know of anyone who has a "family photo" of all the MSR bottles, but I'm guessing that many of us have all the bottles, and just haven't taken a photo of them. As for me, I would have to do some serious digging to unearth all of my MSR bottles. But, maybe someone else has already done it. What say you, CCS Mates? Again, welcome, and God Bless!

Doc

3. Hazet

Hazet Subscriber

Documentary threads such as different MSR bottles, live a challenging life, buried in the "Stove Parrafinalia" section.
    some MSR Fuel Bottles

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@Waylon Spencer
    Welcome to CCS.

You know you are missing 4. Do you know what 4 they are?

5. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

The fuel bottle that is titanium I believe and made in Japan recently sold on E Bay about a month ago-was $200.00 I think was the buy it now price. I have acquired some buying stoves over the years. I just bought the white anniversary bottle from MSR-still available. I have the tan military ones, the black military ones and maybe 30 other ones including the Sigg bottles that 1st came with MSR.

6. Daryl

Daryl United States Subscriber

Sold a 25th Anniversary 11oz made in Canada a couple week ago. 100_6054.JPG 100_6055.JPG
    May have gone to a collector like you? Screen shots from my sold listings. Stay safe Daryl sunny SoCal

7. Daryl

Not sure who supplied this red pour spout was with some fuel bottles I found. Can't remember if it was on the red MSR or another Sigg? Not sure if MSR ever put there name on the black style spout? This example says REI on other side. Good luck with the hunt. Stay safe
    100_6058.JPG

8. 8R Pete

Daryl-I have that red piece -I didn't know what it was used for. Thanks for the info!

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Guys,

That red ring was marketed by, and called a Canady cap. here's a post I made back in 2013, showing the cap and how it works with a Sigg fuel cap.

"I found my favorite, the Canady cap pour spout, which used the regular Sigg fuel cap, like yours. I'll find the other Sigg pour spout in the next few days, and will post that here, too.

The Canady cap pour spout hangs from your regular Sigg cap by a small thong, or string. It has two holes in it, one large (with spout), and one small. You like the large hole up with the large hole on the Sigg cap, and screw it back onto your fuel bottle, making sure that the alignment stays proper. Then, you place your thumb over the small hole, which does a fair job of keeping fuel from leaking out until you get to pouring and, when the large hole and its spout are placed into the fuel intake of your stove, remove your thumb, and the fuel will pour freely. When finished (make sure to leave enough room for air inside the tank!), put your thumb back onto the small hole, which slows and almost stops the fuel, and lift the fuel bottle to vertical. Remove your cap, carefully sliding the Canady cap off, wipe them clean, and snug down your fuel bottle cap. It took longer to write, than to do it!! Easy-Peasy, when you get used to it! ;) :D So, here are a few shots, so you can see how this thing looks and works:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you can see how this all works together, from these quick photos. In practice, this Canady cap was the best, lightest, most convenient pour cap that I ever found. I have only a few of them, and cherish every and every one!! When they finally break, I'll be a sad Chap, indeed! :cry: :-({|= :D...."

This little cap was made to fit the Sigg fuel caps, and I first read about it in the 1976 Edition of The New Complete Walker, by Colin Fletcher. Sold in most camping stores, you could also buy it from the inventor, S. Buck Canady, who lived in Fall River, Massachusetts. He sold them for $1.25, each. They fit both pint and quart sized fuel bottles, but not the older, metal-stoppered versions. MSR did not offer these, as they were still using the Sigg bottles, and had not developed their own at that time. You will find this info on pages 174-175, in the 1976 edition. You may also notice that Mr. Canady was also the fellow that came up with the modified Sigg fuel cap, with it's tube pouring spout. Fun stuff! Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

10. 8R Pete

Now I know-I was going to toss it out as it came with a stove I bought, now I wont.

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

There are stories of members throwing original parts away more than once.
    The lid from a can was the original simmer plate with the MSR stoves.

12. Daryl

@Doc Mark Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us a taking the time to post it. I really enjoy knowing the history of an item as much as using it. Mine was on a Sigg bottle when I pick these up so there was not much of a mystery as to what it was. I will tag it as canady cap 1976 S. Buck Canady inventor. The black REI spout threads on to a Sigg bottle and then the flat spout part is twisted to open the internal open/close valve inside the cap. That cap took me longer to figure out how it worked than the red one.
    Stay safe

13. Waylon Spencer United States

Hey there! I’m missing the original, the red bottle with blue lettering and two of the harder to find military ones. Everything else I have as of now.

14. Waylon Spencer United States

I actually learned about a few I didn’t have from this post last year! Very good information.

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Maybe you should be the one posting photos. We like photos

16. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

E657A8C0-2D22-4550-AEF2-1DA57AA46703.jpeg Anybody know what this ring is for that is below the screw in top?

17. 8R Pete

I have not seen it on my many(maybe 25 MSR fuel bottles), but will tell you that o ring is beyond good. I can see the many cracks.

18. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Never seen it.

19. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I don’t know why that O ring would be bad, I have only had it 35 years!

20. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Send it back! ;)