MSR G-K Stove, with MSR Deluxe Stuffle Bag and goodies!

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Doc Mark, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Back in 2006, I bid on, and won an interesting MSR stove, which came with lots of goodies, and an MSR bag I'd never seen before. After perusing the recently posted MSR 1981 catalog, and seeing a very recent post in which our own @snwcmpr , asked about this, I decided it was past time for me to share this specific stove and bag here.

Both stove, and bag can be seen in the 1981 MSR catalog, and as that was close to the date I'd ascribed to this setup, I'll go ahead and date it accordingly. So, without further ado, here are the bag, the stove, and the goodies.

MSR Deluxe Stuffle Bag.

1.jpg

Easy to strap to a pack, if desired.

2.jpg

End shot.

3.jpg

Here an excerpt from a post I made, back when I first got this stuff, which lists all the goodies inside the bag. Note that the Bull Dog Brand pot lifter now resides in a actual Bull Dog pot set!

"Well, that MSR stove from Florida arrived today, and I'm VERY happy with it!!! Turns out, it's not an X-GK, but rather it's immediate predecessor, the G-K!! This stove also came with it's original MSR zippered stove bag, a type of which I've never seen before; it's aluminum cover/cup, windscreen, heat reflector, priming bottle, tool, cleaning pin, surge filter, extra jet for Kerosene, as well as the installed one for Gasoline/White gas. Additionally, it had two stainless steel Sierra cups, a "Bulldog Brand" pot grabber, an aluminum funnel, a Sigg fuel bottle, with the original MSR instructions stuck on it, and of course, it's original yellow plastic pump!!! Friends, this was a sweet as hell find, and for more reasons than just the fine stove and all it's goodies! The other outstanding reason is that this stove has it's extra jet!!"

Opening the zipper reveals part of the contents.

4.jpg

inside the divider pocket, you can store the windscreens, parts bag, cleaning pins, meths bottle, etc., easily.

5.jpg

Fun, and very interesting MSR label for their "Stuffle Bag".

6.jpg

And, here is the stove, etc..

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

And, all this was had for a very, very..... VERY great price!! I can't believe that nobody else tried to go for this one.

13.jpg

And, here's a shot of the single photo contained in the listing. As you can see, I was VERY interested in the contents of the parts bag, and was delighted to find that they were just what I had hoped they would be!!

14.jpg

If you have not already perused the excellent MSR 1981 catalog posted by @Giri , please give it a squint here:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/msr-catalogue-1981.41740/

You will see the 1981 GK is the same as my stove, at the top of the page, and if you scroll down to the bottom, left hand, you will see a photo of the MSR Deluxe Stuffle Bag. Same color as mine, if memory serves. Thanks for taking a look at these goodies, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - I note, after checking it out this morning, that I rebuilt the yellow pump, back in 2006, BUT, I used the first type of hose that later showed itself NOT to be fuel resistant!! So, I'll now go back, and change out that hose for what I'm using now, which is very nicely fuel resistant!! Glad to have noticed this, for sure!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Very cool.
    So, if one was to come across a Stuffle bag they may not know that is the name.
    That will help in my search for one.
    Thank you Mark.

Ken

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    Classy outfit Doc. I applaud your safety consciousness regarding the hose.

John

4. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

Doc Mark-is that the Sigg fuel bottle? When did they stop using them? Was the leaking part found by the consumer or MSR?

5. Doc Mark

Greetings, Guys,

Thanks, very much, for your nice comments. Much appreciated, as always!!

@8R Pete, one of the main reasons that MSR began making their own fuel bottles, was that under strong pressure, the bottoms of the Sigg bottles were protruding, and rounding out. Also, as the Sigg bottles had "applied" threads, rather than them being cut into the bottle necks, they did leak on occasion. So, for safety's sake, MSR began making their own bottles, though the first runs had thin bottoms, too, just like the Sigg bottles, and popped out in the same way, under strong pressure. I got a used MSR bottle as part of a trade, along with a brand new one, and the older one had the same protruding and rounded bottom as some of the Sigg bottles exhibited. As to "when" MSR made the change from Sigg bottles, I can't remember. But, hopefully, someone will remember that date, and speak up here. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - 8R Pete, I should tell you that I, personally, have never had a Sigg bottle go South on me, though I have seen some with rounded bottoms, and gotten some with used stoves I've bought. So, I know it happens. Just never happened to me. Even my oldest Sigg bottles, and I have a TON of them (!), still work wonderfully, without a single problem.

6. snwcmpr

I think I recall it during the G/GK series. The instructions for fuel bottles change to MSR from SIGG.

Here is a start. Scroll through the photos.
    Model 9 to X-GK

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  7. 8R Pete

Excellent pics! I have a Sigg fuel bottle that came with an MSR stove(possibly a GK) now another question about the metal cup in Docs pictures. I have a cup like that the manufacturer is Mirro-was that an original piece of equipment sold with these stoves? Why was that discontinued?

8. snwcmpr

Original to the older stoves. I do not know when it stopped.
    The tin can simmer plate was also original for some time period.

9. Doc Mark

Howdy, @8R Pete ,

Yes, the earlier MSR X-GK family of stoves, came with that tin cup, which was a "case", and also a cup for drinking, or boiling up a small bit of tea, or soup. None of mine are marked "Mirro", but hey, if the cup fits, who cares?! I once bought an MSR stove, not sure of what it was, and when it arrived, it had a stainless steel cup in place of the aluminum one that came with the stove originally. Worked, but heavy! I think that MSR discontinued the cup when the Shaker Jet stoves came on the scene, or shortly thereafter. As to the "why" of it, I am sure it was to save money. And, truthfully, that cup is so small, it's not "that" useful, most of the time. Though I can recall once, up on a mountain top, as the sun went down, SB and I were glad we had that little cup with our X-GK! We made some soup, in small quantities, and did a "sip soup, then boil for another cup", several times, to warm us up, before night fell completely, so we could make it back to our camp, with something warm in our stomachs!! Was it a PITA? Yes, indeed, it WAS!! But, it beat hell out of not having a cup, or cooking vessel, at all!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. 8R Pete

Thanks Doc Mark and snwcmpr.Very interesting things you find on here!

11. snwcmpr

I cannot be sure, but I know some of my cups had Mirro on them.

12. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

The X-GK that I got in the mid-80s came with the Mirro cup. The one time I used it as a cup, the tea had a definite savor of kerosene.

....Arch

13. 8R Pete

I don't think kero would be that great of a taste. I have washed mine several times with water I have boiled on my stove.

14. Doc Mark

Howdy, Gents,

I was "thinking" that my cups had "Mirro", too, but none of the ones I checked had that marking. I'll have to look at the "entire family", and see if any of them do, indeed, have the "Mirro" marking on them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. 8R Pete

Today I got another MSR stove-a Firefly complete with maintenance kit, yellow pump and a small blue MSR bag that the stove goes into. I never saw this MSR bag before.

16. snwcmpr

Pictures or it did not happen.

17. 8R Pete

Ok here is for the doubters

Attached Files:

• b MSR.jpg
      b MSR.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      149.6 KB
      Views:
  18. snwcmpr

Outstanding.

19. SistersOregon United States

I have a similar stove bought new and used for the last 40+ years.
    Somewhere I lost the spring and knob for the flint/spark tube.
    Anyone know a source for the spring besides MSR itself?
    Doc: enjoy your work here--thanks for putting up so much useful data alongside your impressions and ideas.

20. Doc Mark

Howdy, @SistersOregon ,

Many thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated!

You might want to contact MSR, just for grins, as they “may” have the parts you need. I’ve gotten some pretty esoteric old parts from them over the years. Otherwise, you can just order a replacement sparker from Coghlan’s, or maybe another company. Some of those are OK, but some are junk. Check reviews for whatever sparker you might see being offered. One thought: did you get a spare parts bag with your stove, back when you bought it originally? Might be a spring in there, though the knob will be a different story. Keep us posted as to what you end up finding, if you contact MSR, and likewise, if you get a replacement sparker. Good luck, and welcome to CCS!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - How is the fire situation up your way? We have members from Oregon, who are in the thick of it. Hope you and yours are safe and sound!