MSR G

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Hazet, Oct 30, 2012.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

@TVFranti I have not seen a surge damper with 'threads'. Can you post a photo?

Ken in NC

2. TVFranti

3. snwcmpr

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings, @snwcmpr ,@TVFranti ,

Ken, I have never seen a threaded surge protector, either. I checked my #9, 1973 vintage, if memory serves, and my model 9A, and neither of them have that sort of surge protector. However, I've stopped being surprised at anything MSR did back the old days. Experience has shown that they tried tons of stuff, before they released other family members of the #9! In the next week, I'll try to check some other MSR early stoves, and see what I find. But, my memory tells me that all of the surge protectors were made of sintered brass, and not threade. Interesting question, no? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. TVFranti

6AA5F996-BE65-4144-A5BE-49080A341850.png 3AEF2522-E3DA-455B-A262-9561D02FB9AF.png D70ABC0A-DB21-46C2-9E55-5F6FE90B1396.png 00EA9E53-6CE2-4D96-B7BA-7933E189FC2F.png 7953D757-0EC9-4A82-9659-09FC64FD3699.jpeg It seemed strange to find a threaded piece in the throat of the burner
    A small amount of dirt can really make a big difference in the power output
    The sintered filters I have are too large for this stove. They fit the G/K on the left in the photo.
    The helix plug is mentioned and shows up in other photos in threads I found on this website
    It’s surprising how well the stove burned after I cleaned the threads

6. Doc Mark

@TVFranti , @snwcmpr , and All,

AS we used to say back in Texas, when we had messed up and remembered things "bass-ack-wards": "Well, shut my mouth, wide open"!! TVFranti is absolutely right!!! It's been a while since I had my early #9 apart, and so I rechecked it this morning, and what did I find? The same threaded helix plug that he showed!! WOW!! Never thought the old memory was THAT bad, but in this case, it most certainly was!! Humble apologies, TVFranti, for not having checked, before opening up my big mouth!! :shock: :oops: :doh: :lol::lol: Now, I'll have to dig out my 9A, MF, and DF, and see if those, too, have the same threaded helix plug! Some place in my computer, and also on this site, I took a photo of all those stoves together, dismantled to their helix plug/surge protectors, just to see which had what!! I'll see if I can find that photo, and re-post it here, for clarification sake. Thanks to TVFranti for bringing this up. Well done, Sir! Take care, and God Bless!

Forgetful Ol' Doc

7. snwcmpr

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  8. Doc Mark

@snwcmpr , @TVFranti , @hikerduane and All,

Okie-Dokie, Gentlemen, I did dig out my 9A, MF and DF stoves, and checked the three of them for either a surge filter, or the threaded helix. Like my #9, the 9A, and MF all had threaded helix plugs!!! The DF was a bit different, in that, it, too, had a threaded helix plug, but it was vented right down through the middle of the plug! Here are some photos to show you what my DF had inside, under the jet:

DSCN8361.jpg

DSCN8362.jpg

So, now to check my G and GK stoves, and see what they have. AS has been proved today, it's been too long since I last looked at these stoves, to rely on my memory. I'd say that the rest have the sintered brass surge protector, but I will only be sure if I actually look!!

OK, here's how it turned out:

#9 = solid, threaded helix plug.

#9A = (2) which were solid, threaded helix plugs; and (1) which had a threaded, but VENTED helix plug!

#MF = solid, threaded helix plug.

#DF = threaded but VENTED helix plug.

#G = sintered brass surge protector.

#GK = sintered brass surge protector.

And, from there on, we pretty much know what happened.

But, don't you find it interesting that one 9A was vented, and so was the DF?? I wonder if the 9A was ever serviced by MSR, at which time they "may" have swapped out the solid, threaded helix, for the vented, threaded helix? 100% pure conjecture on my part. Just thinking out loud....

So, there you have it, Brothers and Sisters! For those of you who have a 9, 9A, MF, and DF, why not check your own, and see what you find. Doing so today, taught me not to be too quick to post something, if it's been years since I last checked things out!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who now has to clean up the mess he made whilst doing his "investigation"!!)

9. TVFranti

1DB241E7-6A37-4B13-99C9-55938DD3E29D.png 970C4F99-2BFE-4D2C-A6DB-41252925B872.png
    I think the hole in the helix plug was standard in the DF. The second to last General Note refers to extracting it with wire in snwcmpr’s post above.

10. snwcmpr

11. snwcmpr

I have a long history of NOT reading instructions. :)