MSR MF or GK

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by waltie, Aug 22, 2019.

1. waltie United States

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am trying to figure out what stove I have. I thought it was GK and have a GK instruction booklet that came with it but reading up in it makes me think it a 9-MF as I also have a 2 page instruction sheet dated May 1976 for MSR MULTIFUEL STOVE.

I was stationed at the army hospital on Oahu and bought the stove for a backpacking trip to the Napalii Coast of Kauai. I'm fairly certain that I acquired the stove in 1976. I was transferred to Arizona in 1977. From what I'm reading the GK came out in 1978. To confound matters there was a tag on the stove that said Model 9. I have everything that came with the stove except for the aluminum cup. The 1 liter red Sigg bottle has no decals and a plastic cap.

2. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

3. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Hi @waltie -

Thanks for your service.

Some.qiestions:
    Is burner smooth or scalloped?
    Does fuel pipe have a aluminum rod or a cable inside?
    Does fuel pipe go over burner?
    Where is the 'model 9' nomenclature? On stove or pump?

Scott

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

1st .. Welcome to CCS.

Is the generator tube flat across the top, or round.

You can look in the Gallery for stove images that look like yours.

After the MF (Multi Fuel) there was a DF (Dual Fuel), then the "G" & "GK" (Field maintainable) stoves. The G & GK had a removable cable in the fuel line.

5. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Welcome.
    Like others eventually i may like to see it but i feel as though
    >>> you've answered your own question?
    I'd say, with 2 caveats, your stove is an MF.

Per your
    >>>"...a 2 page instruction sheet dated May 1976 for MSR MULTIFUEL STOVE."
    >>>"...I'm fairly certain that I acquired the stove in 1976
    [GK not out yet]. I was transferred to Arizona in 1977."

A complete MF that I have came with the model 9 tag, you're right to question it but that early No.9 warning tag was sent out with stoves long after no.9 model ended.

caveat #1: I would have thought a stove packed up with May 76 instructions would have had a big "MF" tag on bottom.. now that i mention it, do you happen to recall big MF tag? (a tag that might soon fall off w/use). Or is there maybe a rectangle on bottom from residual adhesive where the tag was?
    caveat #2: GK instructions... it is currently a mystery where they came from but if you have 76 & 77 dates correct above, as far as I know you could not have acquired GK instructions before 77.
    thx omc
    PS ...an MF purchased in '76 :-k , and a yellow pump then...
    "I do find that the Yellow pump w/pins was offered by Jul. 75 until early 77.
    (and that range might expand a little: earlier / later).
    " , source, me.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. waltie United States

Wow, thanks for all of the reply's! first of all I'm computer challenged and have difficulty with attachments unless I can drag and drop them. Nowhere on the pump does it say model 9. Just that warning tag. Some kind of a rod inside the tube but it doesn't look removable. Burner is not scalloped. Black plastic base held on with 2 rivets.-Generator is rounded. Yellow pump has a brass push pin where the fuel tube plugs in.
    Carpal tunnel is kicking my butt so I will sign off for tonight and will try and look at the gallery pictures. Thanks again.
    -
    -

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

You can drag and drop images to the text box of a reply. Then you choose thumbnail or full image.
    Rod in fuel line and rounded generator sounds contradictory.

Did you look at the Gallery?