1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR Model XGK strange pot support!

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Got Dibbs, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Got Dibbs United States

I ordered a MSR Whisperlite a few years back and it came with a weird pot support. After trying like hell to get it to work with my Whisperlite and failed, I discovered it fit perfect on my MSR Model line up of stoves.
    I have no idea if this is even what it's supposed to used for. It was covered in soot and turning blueish so someone thought it was a stove accessory. I'm just wondering if anyone may have seen what I'm about to show you, before! Possibly tell me if it's an actual MSR product or if not, what it may have been originally to. Here it is. 20150805_041713_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20150805_041750_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20150805_042343.jpg It's made of steel and a bit heavy. I cleaned it up when I got it so all the soot and blueish color is mostly gone.
    As you can see it looks right at home on this Model XGK II. It fits really snug inside the burner bell once the original pan wires are removed. It fits in every model of this line. The four groves and burner legs line up perfectly with the openings for the pan wires. The pot supports sit just high enough to clear the generator loop. I mean it's an exact fit. So if it wasn't made for this stove than it's one hell of coincidence. 20150805_042343.jpg 20150805_043434.jpg 20150805_044324.jpg
    As you can see perfect fit. Like it was at home. Just clears the generator loop. Nice and wide, sturdy too. You can fit a pretty decent size pot on top safely. Remember this came with a Whisperlite. 20150805_045502.jpg 20150805_044914.jpg 20150805_045148.jpg
    Here it is in all it's glory. If someone knows anything at all about this contraption or thinks they might, please feel free to chime in. Even if you just was to take a educated guess, go right ahead. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Italy Admin Subscriber

Interesting item! How strange to get it like that.

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

always good to hear from you Dibbs

It looked like something from a portable propane cooktop, and turns out, yes, more than a slight resemblance with pot supports on this 2 burner (I don't know who makes it).
    [​IMG]
    thx omc

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Well spotted OMC! I'd say that's a match.

John

5. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

6. Got Dibbs United States

That's perfect! Awesome job OMC. Looks like just a cheaper Ozark Trail type propane stove. Those burner pot supports fit right down in the rim of the Model XGK perfectly. Snug enough that I would feel safe using a bigger pot on it than say the factory pan wires or even the later crisscross style pan wires. The weight of the pot and contents would only make the connection between the burner and XGK body stronger by compression. I think with a little fabrication I could turn one of these burners and a XGK stove into a hanging suspension system. I realize this is kinda pointless and there are way better stoves to be used for this purpose, and that it's gonna be hard because of the solid fuel line, and the bottle being so far away from the actual burner, but I've never personally seen it done and I wanna give it a try. Right now it's gonna have to wait because I'm trying to come up with my own Hank Roberts/Gerry mini stove conversion that can run off of the newer canisters but also with a separate fuel bottle and pump like the multi fuel stoves of today. I'm so close I can taste it. If anyone happens to find out the make of the stove OMC posted please let me know.

7. Got Dibbs United States

Thank you HercL4D2, I believe a sports store 5 minutes from my house actually carries that very stove. Well I know for sure they sell Texsport hopefully it's the stove with the type of pot supports I'm looking for. And there not asking an arm and leg for it since it's gonna be a donor stove.

8. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

Wal-Mart single burner under 20 $ .