MSR Reactor 'Factory' reset (And Windburner)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by snwcmpr, Jul 22, 2019.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I recently read, somewhere on the internet, about a user having a Reactor fail in the field and having to send it back to the factory for reset. Searching the internet, I found a few other mentions of this.
    I re-read the Reactor manual and in the manual it has this.
    I also read that it has been fixed in the 'Windburner' model.
    I read this in the Windburner instructions.
    In my years using these stove I have not experienced this condition.
    Note: I use the 1st version of Windburner, called the Windboiler. Before the name change.

Ken in NC
    @Doc Mark

2. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I generally discontinue using inoperable items.

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, @snwcmpr ,

Ken, I'm sure you may remember when my first Reactor, left unattended in my canvas tent for a while, boiled out all it's water, and then melted the hole in the bottom of it's own pot, and vaporized it's own lid!!! WOW!! THAT was a scary happenstance!!! But, the stove did not shut down, and when touched, the cartridge was ice cold. That stove continues to function perfectly, and has never given us even a whisper of trouble, since I carelessly left it on it's own "for a few minutes"!!!! I was to pleased with it's safety aspect, that I went out and bought another one, and so have a pair of Reactors to use when I choose to do so!!

I also have a Windboiler, but in truth, found it's performance to be so far less than the Reactor, that I don't use it much, if at all. Neat idea, but not near as good as the Reactor, IMHO. Thanks for sharing the info on someone having to his Reactor go South on him. Interesting stuff.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - For those that did not see the post about my melted Reactor pot, here are a few pics for your enjoyment. Note no lid, as it was vaporized in this accident!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

When found, my Reactor was still merrily burning nicely, and producing flame out the top of what was once it's pot!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::oops::oops::doh::doh:[-o<[-o<[-o<[-o<

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I did not recall that post.

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Reactor meltdown!

Righto, hat coat door.