MSR stove - Unique

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by snwcmpr, Jan 19, 2020.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I was going through my box of MSR stoves and was reminded of this purchase from years ago. (Stove pox strikes again) I am glad I bought it.

The tab on the pump that locks the pump rod is broken.
    The spare jet has a "K", the jet in the stove has no marking.
    The added instructions are stapled.
    MSR-Prototype (1).jpg MSR-Prototype (2).jpg MSR-Prototype (3).jpg MSR-Prototype (4).jpg MSR-Prototype (5).jpg MSR-Prototype (6).jpg MSR-Prototype (7).jpg MSR-Prototype (8).jpg MSR-Prototype (9).jpg MSR-Prototype (10).jpg
    MSR-Prototype (11).jpg
    MSR-Prototype (12).jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@snwcmpr , Ken,

Your MSR stove is very interesting!! I love the part of the instructions where they call the generator replacement a "whammy bar"!!! THAT must have been penned by a guitar player, as the "whammy bar", was a device that was popular on guitars back from the early 1960's and later!! Using it allowed the player to "bend" all the strings at once, to get a special tone that remains popular with lots of players, even today!! I can't see the bar in the photos. If possible, can you post another photo, showing how that bar fits through the slot, and how it works with the burner? Thanks!

As to it being a prototype, it certainly looks like it may well have been just that!!! Very cool, indeed!! Looks like MSR were already looking for something like a "Dragonfly", back when your stove was made! I recall Mike Ridout, whom, as you know, was a Stove Tech for MSR, back in the day, telling me that MSR encouraged it's employees to go into the workshop to "play", on their free time, to see what they might end up designing. My Father-in-Law worked for General Dynamics, back then, and they had the same policy. You could even use their materials, parts, and tools to make your "whatever-it-was"! You could NOT take raw materials away from GD, however. Good policy, that.

Have you fired this stove up, Ken? You note that the pump is broken, as all of the ones from that time period were prone to sometimes break, and in the same place! Try it with a new pump, and see how she goes!! Thanks, again, for posting this neat bit of what might turn out to be MSR history!! Very, very interesting Stuff!!
    Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Never seen anything like it Ken!
    The older Simmerlites I have seen have no valve like yours.
    It seems very dangerous - better send it to me ;-)

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I added two more photos before the edit time ended.
    Thank you.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I worked at GD. I have money coming in every month now for my time there. I made a few things. I made a lantern stand that later had a similar design patented. Oh well, great minds think alike. I still have my 'prototype' stand.
    Not pretty, but it holds a small lantern.

I should light it up.

Ken

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Ken,

Excellent! Thanks for including the extra photos. Now, I can easily see how that "whammy bar" works, and am guessing it worked fairly well! Thanks, again, and well done on getting this neat bit of stove history! I look forward to seeing it in action! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - Very interesting that you, too, worked at GD! My FIL made a replacement part for my old stereo tuner, there at GD. The part had been made with pot metal, and after years of heat, and use, it simple fell apart! He took all the parts, miked them out, and made a new part, out of aluminum!! It was so danged pretty, that I almost hesitated to actually use it!! But, I finally installed it, and now, a few decades later, it's still working perfectly!! Small work, huh, that you and my FIL both worked at GD!?!!

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I tested the stove.

The fuel rod fits the larger DragonFly pump. The standard pump will not install.
    The blue pump (seen above) has a screw where the adjustment valve is on the production models. I will look later to see if it adjusts. That pump is broken, I will not use that pump.

There is not a cable in the fuel line. I do not recall if the DragonFly has a cable.

I changed the jet to the K jet. Kerosene is a safer fuel. I primed it with meths.
    I did get some blue, then back to smoky yellow. It went back and forth from a little blue to smoky yellow. I could not dial it down enough to burn blue and heat the whammy bar.
    I suspect the 'Whammy Bar' is not conducting enough heat. I am indoors and will not do a whole on smoky prime to test that. I do not live alone. :)
    I also suspect that the fuel line is full of liquid kerosene, and it may not be able to handle that much, no matter how far down it is turned.

AFTER I have exhausted all attempts I will then read the instruction manual that came with it. :)

More later,
    Ken

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

20200120_153424.jpg
    It is 19°F this afternoon.
    I brought the stove outside to test. No problem with kerosene smoke now.
    I double primed with alcohol. No blue flame, just sooty yellow flame. I even used kerosene to mix with the alcohol, no help.

I went and got a MAPP torch and heated the burner, base, and Whammy Bar. It went to a blue flame. A small blue flame but consistent for a few minutes, then pulsing for quite a few minutes. If I heated it with the torch it quit pulsing, for a while.
    It might work.

Next, white gas.

I wonder if this was a thought of using a Whammy Bar to reduce a manufacturing step. It does not seem logical. Most likely just an employee trying different parts.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

White gas worked better. I changed the jet.
    The flame is small. Increasing pressure does not increase the flame. This may have been designed to be a "simmer lite" stove, as the instructions say.

10. oddball

This was one of the many stoves from the Larry Penberthy collection that sold on eBay, March 6, 2016.

@snwcmpr - Nice work acquiring this prototype. I made the mistake of NOT bidding on this stove.