MSR Whisperlite International

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Haggis, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

Bought this stove last summer, for a canoe trip,,, ended up taking a Svea 123 instead… I’d lit this a time or two, prior to this morning, but when actually trying to cook up the morning porridge oats, I began to dislike (loath) it wholeheartedly… The stove lights easily, it burns plenty hot, and it moves with the slightest touch… The stove is simply too light to stay put! Turn the fuel valve, and the stove moves… Pump the tank, and the stove moves… The stove won’t even set dependably on all three legs until there is weight is added…

It’s on my 26 weeks of stoves/porridge list,,, its number is up, so I’ll use it this week, and then it begins looking for a new home…

EE5E958D-2A08-4B26-878D-DD6D82C09497.jpeg B5B65366-A70D-4EA6-BF9D-2CD6B66AC175.jpeg

2. AndersX Sweden

I agree.
    And i have noted that the legs easy sinks in soft ground..

Perhaps in a Trangia windscreen.. :-k
    must have been done before...

3. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

I've just modded my Trangia to fit a base model Whisperlite. It did take a mod but nothing too dramatic.

It is still tippy inside the Trangia, so I will try some options to wedge the legs in place.

There are bases- a Trillium folding metal, or some third party non-folding, or end user boards.

Not that I can locate evidence for. There are inserts that replace the legs (eg D.I.M.S.), and I have built some attenuated legs to do that job as well.

When I am done I will post.

The issue is the light mass and stiffish hose. Obviously, though, they also have advantages.

4. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

It’s hard to criticize a stove for being too light when it was designed to be carried in a pack. I think the problem is the fuel line needs to be more flexible. My Universal is basically the same stove. It can be hard to tame. I always make a few bends of the fuel line trying to get it in a position to stay flat. Not my favorite stove and I wouldn’t miss it if I sold it. Much messing around with pressure management to try to control the output.

5. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I agree completely,,, other than my inability to hold the stove steady, it seems to be a great little stove…

Adding weight to hold the stove in place takes away from its purpose; providing a lightweight stove…

6. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

That is true too…

7. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Hello @Haggis ,

I've the WL Universal model, and the same matter makes me hassling. It doesn't have any holding/locking mechanism so so so easily folded legs even the burner is being lighted.

And the fuel line makes me crazy upon using the Butane gas can, it is frankly no way to use butane as Not Inverted position without the heavy pot, because of super stiff and so short fuel line.
    On the contrary Primus Omnilite and Omnifuel both have the properly designed hold/locking mechanism so the legs are always on position without any hassling.

I've Trillium base, it might designed a long time ago and very universal design, afaik it can be attached to almost all MSR models as DF, Whisperlite, XGK(Old and recent both).
    XGK - Yes easily attached, only 10sec I need to set it up, and useful,
    but Whisperlite universal- another story, annoying.

Whisperlite is one of the legendary model because of its Reliability and feature, very top of pinnacle, not the matter of the comfortably designed...

Thanks for your photos!
    Yun

8. Haggis

Haggis Subscriber

I may never learn from experience how dependable the stove is,,, do to its awkward nature, I’ll never use enough…

9. Alcoholic Australia

Stability and confidence in use, setup / priming and packup times, as well as stability in high winds are all issues that I find are critical to whether a stove finds a place in my modest collection of users.

This is why the Trangia design is yet to be beaten for me. This is a stove where I can setup quickly, light a pre-filled burner immediately, put a pot on and then be confident enough to walk away and do other needful things while it goes about its business. No pumping / priming with associated waste of fuel, setting up light windshields that get blown around (or away) or alternatively watching a lot of fuel get wasted in the wind. The pot keeps the windshields stable and they are robust enough to hold their own when the pot is off the stove. IME what it loses in weight it makes up for in efficiency, particularly in the wind.

The popularity of Jetboils etc is testament to the convenience of all these things. But in addition, you can cook, use a cheap and renewable fuel and can track your fuel use with less wastage of cartridges.

But then I struggle with the (lack of) stability / wind protection of a 533 and melting snow for mountaineering is not a use case I need to worry about. It would be interesting to know the comparison when melting snow at lower altitudes though.

10. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

I always figured the instability went with the light weight. Have you tried some wire “tent-stakes” to hold the legs down? If the ground is too hard, you could set rocks on them.

Or maybe just tie some short strings to the legs, and always plan on setting rocks on them.

….Arch

11. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

+1 for the Trangia.