msr whisperlite issue

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by jnicolodi, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jnicolodi

The other day I was around 4500 feet in single digit weather and I had just woken up to melt some snow for the day using a msr whisperlite, shaker jet model, one that hadn't seen any maintenance in quite awhile. I put the pump into a 2/3 full msr bottle of white gas, connected the line to the pump, and pumped about 25-30 times. I turned the knob to let the fuel in the priming cup and instead of the priming cup filling, the stove made noise as though it were already primed and was shooting vapor out. I turned off the gas, tried again, and got the same result. I manually filled the primer cup and lit it, but when the flame died down and I turned the gas on, the blue flame around the jets flickered for a bit then died out. I went through this cycle of attempts about 3 times in 1 hour with no success. I headed home, and lit it successfully as if nothing were wrong, just a few hours later.

I'm relatively inexperienced with the whisperlite and after this experience I've vowed to become an expert on it because of how much I depend on it for winter trips, and in all my research I haven't been able to find out what I was doing wrong with my stove or why it wasn't lighting, so I appreciate any thoughts you guys might have on it. A friend of mine thought that the part of the pump that draws gas in wasn't submerged in the liquid gas inside the container so the stove as actually shooting pressurized air out, but I don't have enough knowledge on the workings of the stove to really confirm this.

Thanks again!

2. johnsnz

From your overview It sounds like the stove was just venting the pressurised air when you turned it on. That would explain why the flame died away so quickly very little fuel present to burn. I wonder if the Fuel pick up was actually in the fuel??

HTH

John

3. Lance

Your friend and John seem to have the problem cured. This is just one more reason why i don't fool with these new-fangled stoves. I've never had that problem with a SVEA 123 or it's ilk. Or with my Coleman 530 or the M-1942 style stoves. With them, if you have fuel they function as planned.

lance

4. BernieDawg Banned

Was the fuel spindle (control knob) on the pump facing upward like this?
    1301288275-msrpumpright.jpg

OR, was the control knob facing downward like this?
    1301288335-msrpumpwrong.jpg

The white tube on the pump is what picks up the fuel. If you had your pump/fuel bottle flipped the wrong way, you'd only draw air out of the tank as it would be out of the fuel reservoir inside the bottle (second picture).

Do let us know more details of your issue. Please don't be offended at my suggestion. You *did* say you were inexperienced after all. ;)

Cheers,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. hikin_jim

I've seen what Gary is describing happen before. The pump and fuel line go together nicely -- but the stove absolutely will not run.

If you then got home and attached the pump to the fuel line right side up, then everything would run as though nothing had happened.

Note that for what Gary is describing to happen, you would not have to remove the pump for it to operate properly again. All you would have to do is reconnect the fuel line with the pump oriented properly.

HJ

6. Neil B

I had the same problem on my primus multifuel, the pick up tube had become detached, I got it to work by turning the bottle on its end, so submerging the whole pump assembly in the fuel. An in field fix until I got home and glued the tube back in place.

Neil

7. davidcolter

I vaguely remember somebody saying they had a leak where the fuel pickup tube went into the pump body, so with less than half a bottle of fuel this was letting in air instead of fuel. They sealed the base of the fuel pickup tube into the pump and fixed the problem.

8. jnicolodi

Thanks for all the help! I'm almost sure that orienting the pump the wrong way is the source of my problems as it seems to fit in with the fact that it worked fine later. I'll give it a test later this week when I'm not bombarded with work.