MSR Whisperlite Jet info please

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Fuel + O2 → CO2 + H2O, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Fuel + O2 → CO2 + H2O

Hi all

Does anyone knows if there's any difference between the three gas jets for the Whisperlite listed below.

1. MSR WhisperLite Universal 'UG' Jet (07379)
    2. MSR WhisperLite 'G' Shaker Jet (419425)
    3. MSR WhisperLite International pre-2012 Shaker 'IG' Jet (419607)
    Looking at the images for these on Outdoor Pursuits and Needle Sports they all look pretty similar if not identical and I can't see separate specs listed on the Zenstoves page linked above.

I imagine that the three main differences might be:
    1. Different size threads
    2. Different height jet (relative to the air intake holes in the side of the mixer tube)
    3. Different size hole
    For context, I'm looking for a replacement petrol/gasoline/white-gas jet for a Whisperlite Universal but the ideal 'UG' jet (07379) is on back order/unavailable so I'm wondering about using the 'G' jet (419425) instead or at least until I can source the correct jet.

Does anyone have any experience of using the 'G' or 'IG' jet to burn petrol/gasoline/white-gas in the Whisperlite Universal?

Thanks

2. William Ritchie

I do not know specifics of the Whisperlite Universal ,but the expedition service kit for that stove comes with 5 jets for about $23 US . A call to MSR to ask which jets are included may give access to what you need . Just a thought WR

3. William Ritchie

Looking at the component list on Backcountry.com . The UG , UC and UK jets are included in the Expedition service set for W.U stove . You get the other spares as well . WR

4. Fuel + O2 → CO2 + H2O

Hi William

Thanks for your reply. This doesn't directly address my query but it did point me in another (perhaps, obvious) direction of enquiry which I had overlooked. Namely the MSR.com expedition maintenance kit parts list.

The MSR website lists all 6 of the following jets as included in the WhisperLite Service Kit:
    • WhisperLite G Jet
    • WhisperLite International G Jet
    • WhisperLite International K Jet
    • WhisperLite International/Universal UG Jet
    • WhisperLite International/Universal UK Jet
    • WhisperLite Universal UC Jet
    I doubt that MSR would want to include 2 (or more) versions of a given jet if these parts were interchangeable. Which makes me think that maybe they aren't.

5. Fuel + O2 → CO2 + H2O

Hold the phone. I just had another thought.

What does
    mean?

Are they referring to the Whisperlite Universal as the "WhisperLite International/Universal" or, do they mean that the UG jet is suitable for either the International or the Universal?

Who knows? Not I

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Good questions

7. William Ritchie

Good stuff on the info . I had just thought it was a direction around the backorder situation is all . You may be onto the interchange question as I see it . At least you can get the jet if pressed for time . WR

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I am no expert here, but I do know that a version (or more) of the International was out before the Universal. I assume that the versions of International use different jets, and that the current International uses the same jet as the Universal.
    That is how I read it.