MSR XGK EX cracked flame spreader and deforming bell

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by dobrichovsky, May 9, 2021.

1. dobrichovsky Spain

Hi,
    I have a question about my XGK EX stove. I've only had it for about four years, the first three years it had no heavy use, I ocasionally used it for weekend camping trips with white gas, but since ~November 2020 we've been using it daily whilst on the road in a van, so say 6 months of daily use and automotive gasoline.
    About a month ago, I noticed the flame spreader legs were starting to develop cracks, and that under one of them a deformed lump had developed on the bell.
    As the cracks on the flamespreader legs developed the flamespreader would deform upwards leaving more space between the flame spreader and bell which would cause the the flame to die on some parts of the perimeter.
    Now of course one of the flame spreader legs has snapped completely, and a close inspection of the lump on the bell shows there is even a tiny hole there.
    Should this have happened after 6 months of daily use with a top-of-the-range expedition stove? Was I doing something wrong? Was it getting overheated? Was it getting heated irregularly? (I never noticed that would have been be the case, the bell was always evenly red.) Was I not cleaning the carbon? deposits well enough and did they cause irregular heat distribution?
    DSCF3571.JPG DSCF3574.JPG
    I guess there is nothing I can really do with bell, is there? Is my only option getting a new flame spreader and hoping the lump on the bell won't alter the geometry much? And hope that it won't start to crumble more soon...
    Thanks for your opinions!
    Richard

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I am sorry to hear that. I have no idea what caused it, but, my first suspicion is daily use of auto gas.
    There is always added components in auto gas that could be the cause of this. But, I could be wrong, as I often am.

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I think you are correct to think this stove should have been able to burn the car gas, with frequent cleaning. I would contact MSR and see what they have to say. Brad

4. snwcmpr

5. dobrichovsky Spain

Thanks for the reply - I know auto gas isn't ideal, but I thought it was better than using kerosene or diesel concerning the mess they make - but maybe I was wrong in that assumption. (I never actually tried anything else apart from white gas and auto gas - are they that much messier?). But still I would have thought it was supposed to endure (but we don't know if it was the reason for failure).

I'll do that too - thanks for the link - I originally contacted the distributor to the Czech Republic to get a new flame spreader, but they never replied - and now I've found out why - the distributor chaged in January)

6. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

If you can get good quality kerosene the equal of our k1 clear in the USA you will have no problems with fuel related issues. Good kero burns clean and with little odor. Diesel is indeed a dirtier fuel and I would avoid it other than an emergency. Brad

7. snwcmpr

Jet A fuel is good too.