MSR XGK-EX prototype

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Smiles69, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Hello fellow Stovies...

Thought some of you might like to see this; I found it posted on offerup, but looked a little off, it was listed as an EGK, but looked like an XGK-EX with an XGK-II fuel pipe. I met with the poster today, and had an interesting chat - turned out this was a prototype he obtained when working at Cascade Designs (Current owners of the MSR trade name.)

The fuel pump retainer wire also looks to be the same as issued on the XGK-EX. But the biggest difference is of course the solid fuel tube, where the XGK-EX has a flexible fuel line inside a braided cover.

Thanks for reading. 8]
    SMiles

MSR XGK-EX Prototype.jpg

2. Giri

Giri Subscriber

Very nice!

3. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

that is the ex a lot of people wanted! - could you post a picture of the underside? it would be interesting to see how it fits together

4. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Sure, I'll post some more pics later today.
    SMiles

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@Smiles69 ,

Very interesting prototype of the EX. The comment that "that is the ex a lot of people wanted..." made my laugh a bit. Many in the backpacking community, and the Backpacking Press, used to take the X-GK stoves to task for that solid fuel line, saying it was too hard to pack. I surmise that the EX came about to "solve" several complaints, one of which was the solid fuel line. The new one is much easier to pack, for the most part, though, in truth, I never had a problem packing my X-GK stoves. I see the foldout legs/pot stand as fulfilling the needs of those who found the original wire up not to their liking. Again, I never had a problem with it. Interesting, though.... Thanks, very much, for sharing this, and I look forward to seeing more photos, as you have time to post them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

People even have issues with a little dribble of fuel out the line. They rather waste fuel flipping the fuel bottle to the off position and let the stove run another half minute or more.
    Duane

7. Afterburner

hmm... Obtained when working?! Is it same than put it in his bag and carried it home? Kind of benefit to get outdoor gear when you are working for an outdoor company. :lol:

8. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

The seller did tell me a bit more about how he came to have the stove, suffice to say that I think it is on the "up and up."

to @Rickybob - I kinda feel the solid line is a bit more stable than the flexible hose - flexible ones sometimes feel a bit wobbly on uneven surfaces to me. To my thinking - a stove and fuel supply constrained to movement as a unit is more stable.

And to @Doc Mark - agree with the stand and pot support being a generation of improvement over the swing out pot supports.

Here are a few more pics-

The first with an XGK-II on left, XGK-EX on right, and prototype in middle.

MSR XGK-EX Prototype 1.jpg

Bottom of prototype and XGK-EX (on right.) The hardware on the bottom of the burner and fuel line assembly looks to be identical to those installed on the XGK-II.

MSR XGK-EX Prototype 2.jpg

Sides shot of the two XGK-EX's: I have not found any difference in the geometry of the stove body between the two.

MSR XGK-EX Prototype 3.jpg

Please let me know if there are other angles you'd like to see. At this time, I don't have the nerve to disassemble and photo the bits and pieces, but who knows...

Thanks,
    SMiles

9. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

interesting, it does explain the dimple in the base plate - but a prototype? I think someone is pulling your leg

10. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

sorry, I should explain that - your last picture shows that the chassis has the holes for the burner bell mounting pin and there are clearly marks left by the spring washer that retains the pin
    so this is a stove that once had a ex type burner and it has been rebuilt with a xgk II burner the later ones having the short pump clip
    one of the things about msr stoves is their modular design so it is easy to create 'hybrids'
    ie

044.jpg

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Does your prototype show any signs of hand building any parts? A prototype should be a 'One of'.
    It looks like stamped or formed parts to me. I am in the doubters corner also.

12. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

Are any date numbers stamped on the aluminum block?

13. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Not sure where a date stamp would be marked on the stove body - please elaborate?

@Rickybob lovely "hybrid" there! Do we have a section for hybrids? I would want very much to see other hybrids.

Thanks,
    SMiles

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  14. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

hybrid or not, I want one - being awkward to pack is a minor consideration compared to an indestructible fuel line
    thanks for posting this I am going out to the shed tonight and I am going to build one of those and I will call it the 'Smiles variation'
    the left over bits I will put together and call it the ''gun totin' reaganite'' just for giggles

15. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

SMiles, the numbers on the pumpblock indicate the manufacturing date.

I grabbed 2 XGKs and marked the area where you can find the date code stamp:

The upper one is from an MSR XGK-EX from December 2014: MSR 12 14
    The lower is from an XGK II from November 1991: MSR 111.

MSR manufacturing date.jpg

16. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Cool, I will check later today.

I'm tempted to start a new conversation in the style of the post your flame shots with the subject 'protypes, hybrids, and frankenburners' for all to post about their non-production line finds and creations.

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, All,

The suggestion that this was possibly a Frankenstove, did cross my mind, too. It looks to be easy to accomplish, given a few tools and punches. I look forward to seeing what Rickybob creates in his efforts to duplicate this stove. And, I agree, that a section for Frankenstoves, etc., would be a good thing. Most of those shared here, were posted in the Fettling forum, if memory serves. Good thread, and I look forward to seeing how it all turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Actually, in the Fettling Forum, you can find just what you are seeking, as they already IS a place to post such things as Frankenstoves, etc..

https://classiccampstoves.com/forums/frankies-mods-hybrids-registered-members-only.388/

VOILA, so there you have it!!

18. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

extremely cold in the shed last night, but i made some progress - stripping down a xgk ex, I thought I would compare the chassis parts with the bulin clone

msr-bulin2.jpg

bulin on the right - msr on the left

as you can see these parts were made on different continents!
    is does look like the ex baseplate was intended to house the earlier type of burner with the locating pin
    I am reluctant to drill a hole in the baseplate as it would allow priming fuel to leak out, so I will try a different approach
    I expect to have a working 'Smiles Variation' going real good by the weekend

msr-bulin.jpg

19. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Man, scares me when you guys take these stoves apart....I'd never get one back together again.

20. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

went together ok, I cut the brass lug off the bottom of the burner, I am now convinced that the ex baseplate was made for the this older style of burner but I want to keep the baseplate fuel tight

smiles1.jpg

I found some wire nails the same gauge as the ex burner mounting wire

smiles2.jpg

I cut two down a bit and then drilled two holes in the xgk II burner bell -

smiles3.jpg

and I managed not to make a horlicks of it

smiles4.jpg

with the nails threaded through I put the stove back together using the bulin legs and pot supports for now cos it's easier with the threaded fixings

smiles5.jpg

with the lock washers on the burner is secure and centred in the chassis and the flame plate will be the same distance below the pot supports as the ex burner
    ain't msr stoves wonderful!

to keep it on an even keel it will need a large fuel bottle , after tea I will give it a burn and post another picture