MSR XGK-EX prototype

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Smiles69, Feb 26, 2018.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Did you get a chance to look for the stamp on the aluminum block near where the pump attaches?
    There should be a date code.

Ken in NC

2. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

smilesvariation1.jpg

the Smiles Variation going real good

smilesvariation2.jpg

and with a bog standard ex going flat out (gnarly focus, dudes)

this has been an interesting exercise but now I need to spice the offcuts together and build the stove the backpackers wanted and that will require a bit more effort so I am off to look at the brazing tutorials by you know who

3. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Hi @snwcmpr - I did find the date code on the stove: it reads MSR 03C6. Do you suppose this was meant to be the impression of a 0 instead? Even the Sin MSR looks more like an 8. Here is a pic:

date code.JPG

@Rickybob - I like the smiley version you put together there. I'm finding another dragonfly and XGK-EX to put together for the other version you showed us. I like the idea of having a simmer valve inline between the fuel pump and stove.

SMiles

4. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

the dragonfly burners are available as spare parts, so no need to buy the whole stove - I got mine on amazon
    the dragon ex hybrid fits together very well with no need to file or drill anything

042.jpg

of course you do need a special pump for the dragonfly
    (unless you modify the fuel line to fit a standard pump - but I am not suggesting that you should!)

5. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

That brings up an interesting question. Apart from the colour and fitting what is different about the dragonfly pump?

6. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

the dragonfly pump has a safety valve built in - if the stove is shut down with the stove needlevalve but the pump valve is left open then disconnecting the pump from the stove could cause fuel leakage and a fireball - the safety valve stops that

7. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Sounds like a feature all pumps should have
    My Chinese pumps can do this although not very well

8. snwcmpr

@Smiles69
    I am no expert, but that is a date code that is different from what I have seen.

9. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

it gets more interesting! this might be a 'special' built in the factory for some purpose, perhaps a government contract, it has a new priming pad so it looks to be unfired - at least in its current form
    clearly it is a bitza - but who built it?

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, All,

I continue to very much enjoy reading this thread! Hat's off to @Rickybob , for his intrepid disassembly and parts swapping! Very intriguing stuff, Sir! The combo of an MSR Dragonfly burner and fuel line, and an MSR X-GK EX outer body, looks to be a good match, and worth further investigations. But, it also gives pause to wonder what we would get from such a swap. The forte of the X-GK family of stoves has always been their ability to burn the widest variety of fuels, world-wide, with fairly good reliability. I think this model excels at this task, quite nicely. The forte of the Dragonfly has always been it's ability to boil water fairly quickly, AND simmer nicely, and I think that this model excels at these tasks.

So, would we be giving up the ability to burn a wider variety fuels, by mating a Dragonfly burner to and X-GK EX outer body? For all practical uses, and IMHO, probably not too much. But, for those times when absolute dependability must be paramount in importance, I still think the X-GK EX, as designed, would work better than the Dragonfly. For regular backpacking, where clean Coleman Fuel/White Gas, or K-1, Water White Kerosene is abundant, then I believe that getting the simmering capability, with a smaller, and easier to pack stove body, would be a very attractive option. What say you, Gentlemen, and Ladies? I look forward to reading your own conclusions on question on giving up one thing, and gaining another, when considering this burner/body swap. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

All,

Forgot to add: in regards to the "date stamp" on the stove in question, I have never seen an MSR stamp that looks anything like that, to be truthful. The depth the strike, and the sloppiness of each letter/number is something that makes me think that the stove is a knock-off, and not done by MSR, itself. Was it cobbled together by a past MSR employee, who may have been unable to use the standard MSR date stamp? Possibly. We may never know, for sure, unless the person who actually made the stove turns up, and gives us further provenance of it's manufacture. Just my 'tuppence, but something to consider?? Interesting, in any case, and I look forward to further discussion about this. Take care, and God Bless!

Doc

12. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

A little more info about the source of the stove: the person I purchased from stated that due to labor rates in the Puget Sound area, Cascade Designs is moving some (if not most) labor to the southwest, and he was caught up in a layoff. He was offered a position in the new region, but declined. Taking of some "prototypes" was part of his severance compensation. I believe the stove was assembled at Cascade Designs - but not sure on why. It could be that it was a practice piece from returns, or one of several burn-in test units, etc..

SMiles

13. snwcmpr

One thing I can take from this thread.
    The DF pump having a safety feature due to the 2 valves in the fuel line.
    Thank you for that.

One must now apply that safety 'thinking' to the MSR Firefly. It, too, has 2 valves in the fuel line, and NO safety feature.
    Too bad the DF pump does not fit the FF.

Ken in NC

14. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

you could get around that by putting a sleeve on the firefly connector

fuelline.jpg

fuelpumpdragonflydiagram.jpg

I just remember to shut the fuel off at the pump
    the dragonfly hybrid happened because I wanted to run a bernie dawg ex burner cap on a dragonfly but the stove would not fold up with the cap on
    I found that the ex burner bowl is much thinner than on other msr stoves and with the ex I run on kero the burner has warped and the cap will not sit level in the burner - it ran fine but looked askew
    i am saving up to buy a dragon tamer cap but the ex cap goes great on the dragonfly. I did get a kero jet with the dragonfly but I have not tried it I suspect it would need a lot of priming

15. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

What an excellent thread, CCS at its best. My compliments in particular to @Smiles69 for starting it off and providing the storyline with a real headscratcher of a stove and to @Rickybob for some inventive stove adaptation and research to support the concept.

John

16. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

Thanks John. 8] . I'm happy to find a forum to talk about my favorite stoves, and folks who have ideas to exchange.

SMiles

17. theyellowdog

when tinkering with msr dragonfly stoves i have found that they need, at least for Kerosene, the full height of the dragonfly pot stand.

18. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

the unusual date code adds credence to the sellers story - I wonder what other 'specials' he has!!

19. snwcmpr

Only a question.
    Would an MSR employee put M8R on a stove?
    Prototype:
    The employee that makes the prototype stoves would have a different set of stamps? Would borrow stamps? Would be unfamiliar with the stamps? Would think the "8" stamp was the "S" stamp?
    The rest of the stamp could stand for anything, but I wonder about the "8".

Very unique.

Ken in NC

20. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

i suspect someone at cascade could look that up
    if it had a run of the mill date code I would say that anyone could have made it from ''off the shelf parts'' in their shed or on a lunch break
    M8R 03C6
    to me that is march 2006 and the 8 and the C signify that it is non-production and not to leave the factory
    i.e. a special, calling it a prototype might be over doing it as there are no unique parts but it is certainly very intriguing
    I am pleased to have copied it so easily, that there is a bomb proof stove and no mistake
    only snag is I used a non shaker burner so I will have to get bifocals