MSR XGK-EX prototype

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Smiles69, Feb 26, 2018.

1. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Thanks SMiles for a nice post and thanks to all,
    SMiles I'm curious what year was he laid off? The moving of production to the SE is news to me, I don't doubt it, and I'm interested in that tidbit as well.
    SMiles it may be Rickybob has this figured out and showed us all a thing or two :thumbup: in the process, and much appreciated. "... this is a stove that once had a ex type burner and it has been rebuilt with a xgk II burner..." :thumbup:. Seems doubtful it's a 2006 prototype.

Re date: The quality of the stamping of MSR dates is flawed at times ...and maybe just a problem with the "0" when stamping that block?
    I'll offer a couple images from an MSR stove, made/stamped in 0306. Sorry I'm not sure of the exact model of X-GK.
    X-GK_0306.JPG

and it's familiar date stamp
    X-GK_0306DATE.JPG
    thx omc

PS
    Early-on in this post, credit Brenneman for quickly sharing that it's a valid date format with his:
    MSR 1214 (Dec 2014).
    As an FYI, examples of prev decades: MSR 0101 (Jan 2001) and MSR125 which I think was Dec1995.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Brenneman

Brenneman Subscriber

Using the XGK II burner in the R&D phase of the XGK-EX makes perfect sense.

Most likely the designers got rid of lug on the bottom of the burner at some point before going into production as the base plate wasn't going to be fuel tight (as remarked by Rickybob).

With the date code (possibly) being March 2006 it may indeed not be a prototype.
    The XGK-EX was introduced in 2005; assembling a stove with shelved spare parts seems a plausible theory.
    But it looks to me as a showcase on the origins of the XGK-EX.
    The burner assembly of the XGK II with its solid fuel hose was probably an evolutionary dead end marketing wise.

Regarding the date stamp...
    It is sloppy on the stove in the initial post, but looks legit if you ask me.
    If legit, it makes you wonder why the production was continued.

My youngest XGK II non-shaker jet has MSR 024 as a date stamp: February 1994.
    I have an unfired XGK II shaker jet with date stamp MSR 0599: May 1999

So somewhere in that 5-year time span MSR changed the date format.

20180306_190648.jpg

20180306_190734.jpg

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

all, Brenneman,
    Thanks again. I do not have the answers and not sure what XGK model my example is.
    Re "Using the XGK II burner in the R&D phase of the XGK-EX makes perfect sense."
    Except the XGK-EX was offered in 2005.

I can only guess that XGK II remained available in '06? and there was at least a little overlap of production runs.
    I do not know.
    We see on 1 hand the XGK-EX w/flexible fuel line came out in 2005.
    On the other hand we see 2006 burner assemblies still w/the solid fuel lines.

I can share an MSR FYI : "In 2005, the XGK EX stove model was introduced, with two significant updates ...
    > fuel line [is] flexible, PTFE-line wrapped in a braided metal protective sheath.
    > retractable pot supports
    ...the two updates allow the stove to fit into a 1.5 liter MSR pot, "
    thx omc

4. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

getting very interesting, I would like to know if the last of the xgk stoves with the cruciform wires were sold with the duraseal pump, that would explain the short pump clip on the 2006 version
    my first ex is dated 0805 which I assume is 2005
    when they talk about moving to the south west do they mean mexico?

5. Smiles69

Smiles69 Subscriber

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Oh man, that would have been cool.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@Smiles69 ,

That is some excellent provenance that you found and shared here!! Well done, Sir!!! Like, Ken, I am bummed that I did not know about the sale, back when it happened. But, hey, I'm sure that others got some wonderful buys in that opportunity, and I am happy for their good fortune!! Thanks, again, for sharing this bit of info! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc