My Christmas present all cleaned and painted. Embossed 8R.

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8R' started by Mendologist, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Mendologist

A brilliant surprise Christmas prezzy for me from my eldest daughter and her boyfriend.
    Was in a bit of a state but cleaned up lovely. Burns excellent. (Pic to follow).
    Just need to find a heatshield for it!

Optimus 8R embossed 001.JPG

Optimus 8R embossed 002.JPG Optimus 8R embossed 003.JPG Optimus 8R embossed 004.JPG

2. Mendologist

Photo's of it at full burn.

optimus 8r burning 001.JPG optimus 8r burning 002.JPG optimus 8r burning 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  3. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

Congrats, Mendologist: Your daugther know well your tastes.... :clap:

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Looks Good! Nice flame. :lol:

5. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Looks new and the bakelite knob versions are my favorite as they offer better control. Pressure is on for you next year! :lol: Jerry

6. SSW

SSW Subscriber

Very nice looking stove. I really like the blue finish and the brass. You just can't beat that nice feel of the Bakelite knob. Thank you for sharing.

7. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

very nice
    kerry

8. Mendologist

Thanks for the compliments. really enjoyed fettling this stove.
    The blue was the closest colour in the car shop to the original of the stove. Didn't really fancy a hammered finish cos' sometimes it's a bit too "hammered" looking compared to the original lightly hammered finish.
    I wonder what Optimus used originally?

9. SSW

SSW Subscriber

I really like that color blue and that it doesn't have that as I call it over hammered look. It has a deep rich looking finish and the brass just really looks right with it. All of the different colors have a clean flow that takes a good eye and a bit of elbow grease to get. On the thought of the original Optimus colors I wonder who made their paints ? If we can figure out who they bought their paint from or its possible they mixed their own I don't know but I want to find out. I wonder if they ever offered touch up paint to customers or possibly vendors? If we can figure one or all of this out we should be able to find color codes that an automotive or hardware store can mix. Some paints you can even buy the ingredients and make yourself. I know a automotive paint tech who has worked for Dupont for 35 years now. I know that if I have a paint chip or color code from a manufacturer he can mix any color I want. I'm going to look around online and see if I can find any information on Optimus colors. If you or anyone else has more information I would be curious. I have been looking at a Optimus similar to yours for a while now. Can't have too many stoves in my opinion. Thanks and have a great day. - Josh

10. Mendologist

Thanks Josh. I can only go with a colour match-ish with whatever colour is on the stove when it comes to me unfortunately. I did some 111's in a light metallic green, that is a good match too. I think it was willow green or whisper green, it's in the 111 reference section.

11. Mendologist