My first European stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Duck, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Duck

This has been a pretty good week for me. Picked up a Coleman 220E lantern, A Coleman 502 Stove ( my first) and My first European stove an Optimus 80. I think it’s around a ‘71. The girl I got it from said she bought for backpacking and only used it a few times. It was only a half hr drive to go pick it up so no shipping charges. I think I paid a fair price for it not too much but definitely not a bargain($50). Can’t wait to get a chance to try it.

My question since I’m learning is what do I need to check on these stoves before I fire it up. How can I tell if the seals need to be replaced? What seal kit do I buy and how hard is it to take apart to replace the seals?

The 502 cleaned right up just needed a cap gasket and fired up nicely. Just need to take the burner apart and clean the rings.The lantern well that’s going to be some work.

1ABFE259-FB14-4C60-948B-976A40F32222.jpeg

33CD3CB0-9B15-42E1-A3E1-E295EE6DD327.jpeg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@Duck
    That’s a very good price, a bargain even, for a pristine example.

The control stem to valve seal is a compressible graphite joint/stuffing box and any leak of fuel vapour there can be stopped by tightening up the packing nut, sufficient to stop the leak but not make the valve spindle too tight to turn.

Only other seals are the fuel cap seal - prod it with a steel point and if it’s not hard it’ll be good - also, within the cap is a safety release valve. There’s a good chance that if the cap seal’s good that won’t have degraded either. If it has there’ll be a loss of tank pressure there, possibly igniting as a little jet of vapourised fuel. Or, it could have stuck fast. Prod the safety release valve with a thin (jeweller’s) screwdriver through the vent hole in the cap to see if the valve’s stuck. If it releases against spring pressure it’s not stuck fast.

John

3. Duck

Thank you John, I’ll check everything when I get a chance and hopefully get it lit tonight.

Joe

4. Duck

Ok no time like the present. All check out great. Took it outside and she lit great. Unfortunately the wind is blowing and I couldnt get a good pic of it lit. I’ll try later tonight

Joe

5. bbsteinle

bbsteinle United States Subscriber

For an Optimus 80/Primus 71, I recommend making a windscreen out of an IKEA canister, so that the original metal box doesn’t get ruined.

Basil

6. Duck

Great idea Basil. I was trying to figure out what to do so I didn’t ruin the box. That’ll work thanks.
    Joe

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Duck ,

Well done! I agree with @presscall , in that such a find example, at the price you paid, is an excellent bargain, and well worth your time in getting it!! It's very hard to find them in the lovely condition of yours, so again, Well Done!! And, the 502 is always a great thing to have, and after a tiny bit of maintenance, will give amazingly excellent and very reliable service!

As to the original Optimus case, two things: first, the stoves run nicely in the case, but are still susceptible to wind interference. So, a good folding windscreen, placed behind the windscreen, will take care of that. Two, since you have decided to keep the case pristine, why not seek out a good, used Optimus case? Sometimes you can score stuff like that, out and about, in the $5 range. Additionally, see if you can get a British Army #7 case. Those are tough, work a treat, and add some "cool factor" to your stove!! (NOT that your lovely stove "needs" more "cool factor", as it's danged cool, all by it's onesy!!! Thanks for sharing your excellent finds, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. Duck

I just tried this stove in a coffee can. Fits perfect but the can is a 1/4 inch taller the the original Optimus can. Now I just have to figure how to make it work. If I’m going to cut the front open or just drill holes top and bottom to vent it. Build a grate or just use a pot that fits on top?

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

10. Duck

@kerophile thank you for the link. Very nice job modifying the Ikea canister. You have given me plenty to think about. I like the idea of nesting cans. As luck would have it I happen to have a spare canister for a m1950 stove. It's too big for just the Optimus but if I make a stove stand they both can nest in the m1950 can.with the advantage of not having to worry about a wind screen as they will be nesting in the bigger can not the other way like you had it. Now I wish I hadn't opened the link to the Primus 71 because I want that stove stand. I'm going to try and replicate it but my fabricating skills are not the best.

Thanks again
    Joe

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber