My First Optimus 535!

Discussion in 'Optimus No:535' started by Doc Mark, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Well, Yesterday, I received my first Optimus 535! I'm excited about getting it, and the price was OK, but it's rather a mixed bag, in a few ways. It was shipped from Colorado on September 24, and was supposed to be a Priority 3-Day delivery..... but, the stove didn't arrive in 3 days, nor in 6 days, nor in 10 days, and in point of fact, did not arrive until 18 days after it was shipped!!! What the HOLY MOLY happened?!!?!!

Well, the shipper did not drain the fuel tank, and one of the burners had a leak, which spread the perfume of kerosene all over the big box in which the stove was packed!! So, the short story is, when the stove arrived at the Denver Distribution Center, it was flagged as "hazardous", and held in quarantine for a while!! Then, someone got the great idea of changing the shipping from 3-day, to "surface", which meant being shipped at "First Class Mail Package", which means it went onto the "slow boat to China" route!! Before making that decision, apparently someone at the Post Office opened the box, and dumped out about half of the packing peanuts, whilst searching the box!! Parts were strewn all over the inside of the box, after they finished mucking things up, and they did not return the missing peanuts to the box, but rather slapped on one piece of haphazardly applied tape, and sent the package on it's long, torturous route to me!!! I'm blessed that, even with the sloppy job the PO did, I did not lose any parts, and no damage was done to the stove!! Thank you, Lord!! So, here's what I got:

1.jpg

Though the burners are an "odd couple", the enamel on the case is in excellent condition.

2.jpg

And, the stove still had it's original "Blanking Plug", for which I was quite grateful.

3.jpg

Some miscellaneous photos, before we get to the burners:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now, the burners...... only ONE is the original Optimus 207 burner, and the other is an old Hipolito, from Portugal!! Only one inner cap is right, and the other caps are all from Hipolito. So, as you will see, one burner went South, and it was replaced by the Hippo burner, along with two Hippo outer caps, and one Hippo inner cap .

7.jpg

8.jpg

The sharp-eyed amongst you will see that the inner caps have been swapped, with the Optimus being on the Hippo, and vice-versa. Luckily, though the caps and burners are an odd couple, the priming setup on both burners are original Optimus parts! YAY!

9.jpg

10.jpg

Like the burners, the fuel tank could use some spit and shine, and a good cleaning.

11.jpg

Hipolito outer caps.

12.jpg

13.jpg

The old and very crusty Hipolito burner.

14.jpg

And, the Optimus original burner.

15.jpg

Not a bad looking stove, despite it's warts and needs.

16.jpg

And, the oft-times missing Blanking Plug, again.

17.jpg

A few more miscellaneous photos, in which you can easily spot which is the Swedish burner, and which is from Portugal.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Now, the poor, ol', stretched-out keeper for the Blanking Plug. @kerophile , George, you mentioned, in another post about these 535's, that the keeper is not made of spring steel, and thus so many plugs go missing. You are absolutely right about that, my friend!!

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

One regulating valve doesn't not work, but I found the reason why: The cleaning needle is stuck in the jet, by being bent off to the side.

28.jpg

The unmarked fuel cap. Original, or....?

29.jpg

Both priming devices have these interesting "wicks" inside them. I've never seen one like this, before!

30.jpg

31.jpg

And, to wrap it up, for now, here are a few more miscellaneous shots.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

Lots of work to do on this Fella, but the good news is that I believe the Optimus burner can be saved, and I do have one used, but good condition Optimus 207 burner to replace the Hipolito stuff, so the stove can be made to be closer to it's original component set. I'll post more photos, as work progresses on this stove. Overall, I'm happy to have found this one, and happy that my first 535 was the kerosene model!! Thanks for checking it out, and your comments, or suggestions, as always, will be gratefully appreciated!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Very nice, @Doc Mark. :thumbup:

That looks too big for the Hobbit Hole. You might have to mail it over here for safe keeping. ;)

I like these enamelled “caravan stoves” as they are sometimes called over here. I suspect, though, that they may have been breeding in my shed...

Cheers

Tony

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Sweet! Nice enamel and a HUGE tank on that one. Well presented pics too Doc, look forward to flame shots. Jerry

4. gideon

Great one! Waiting for flame photos!

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

OK, You Lot!!

See what you did?!?? I wasn't planning to work on this stove quite so quickly, but...... best laid plans!!!

38.jpg

WOW!! I love how easily this stove disassembles, so that you can do whatever needs be done, without spending a ton of time getting to the problems! The top left burner is the old Hipolito. Worth saving, but not for this stove. At the bottom right, are the two Optimus 207 burners: the original one, and the clean one that I had in my parts cache. Look how easy it was to access the NRV setup!!

39.jpg

The old Hipolito Portuguese burner:

40.jpg

And the two Optimus 207 burners, one clean"ish", and the other filthy.

41.jpg

Once both are gone over totally, I think they will work wonderfully in this Optimus 535!! I am having to borrow the proper inner and outer caps, so they can both be Optimus products. But, I'd like to buy two more sets of Optimus caps, so I can return the borrowed ones to their rightful places on other NOS Optimus silent burners.

Tomorrow, all the bits and bobs to into the citrus bath, and a bit of scrubbing will be done on all of them, including the fuel tank, once the NRV is removed and the remaining fuel is dumped. Thanks for the inspiration, Gentlemen, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A very nice stove, great photographs and an entertaining commentary. :clap:

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@shagratork , @Tony Press , @Metropolitantrout , @gideon ,

Trevor, Tony, Jerry, and Gideon, thanks, very much! The more I get into the interesting stove, the more I grow to admire the strength of it's design! I wish more stoves were as well thought-out, and easy to service, as this one is turning out to be!

Today, the tank is soaking in meths, rinsing out all the nasty, foul, and dark-colored fuel that was within it. Then, I'll be washing all the parts with dish soap, and giving them a good brushing to remover most of the worst of the crud (and there is a TON of it on the burners), then moving on to citric acid bath, and using some GSR ("George's Stove Restorer") on the big parts, and we'll see how it all turns out!! Here's a short version of what GSR is, and how it works:

@kerophile wrote:
    " I promised you the secret of GSR ( George's Stove Restorer). You must NOT reveal this to others!.
    If you do not favour full immersion, or only have "spot" corrosion to treat, the answer could be GSR. Make up a pint-or-so of cellulose wallpaper adhesive. Add a couple of teaspoonsful of anhydrous citric acid crystals and stir. The mixture needs to be thick enough to adhere to vertical and horizontal surfaces, but thin enough for the citric acid solution to do its job. The mixture should be painted onto the brass item and periodically agitated with a toothbrush or similar. Once the object is clear of tarnish, rinse and dry as described earlier."

And, here's a link filled with valuable info that can help folks doing what I'm doing right now>

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/ultrasonic-cleaning-of-stove-burners.27409/

Huge thanks to kerophile for his excellent work in doing such tasks as this, and for all the other wonderful information and presentations he shares with us all!! Thanks, George!!!! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now, I do need to ask about a few things relating to this stove. The parts diagram show part #2116 "tightening cone", but the stove does not have them insitu. Is this something I really need, or will the reassembly go OK without them? I wonder if some graphite sheet, like can be used in their stead? I got mine from another CCS Mate, @Trojandog , and they work very, very well, indeed! Can they fill-in (no pun intended) for the tightening cones? Here's a link to Terry's excellent graphite sheets:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/graphite-foil-sheets.20820/

Thanks, Terry!!!

Last, I wonder if there is a source for NOS Optimus #2183 (outer burner cap), and #2180, (inner burner cap) parts? For this project, I am borrowing two of these from other Optimus burners, but that's like "robbing Peter, to pay Paul", and I'd rather just have two NOS sets of each part, for my 535, if such can be found.

I'll keep posting updates on how this current project is going, and hope to fire this stove up sooner, rather than later, if all goes well!! Thanks for any info you can send my way on the NOS parts, and for using graphite sheet for the tightening cones. Thanks for reading, and as always, God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Doc, Base Camp lists these:

2116 Aluminium cone, burner joint packing for Optimus stoves £ 1.95

CTK1105 Heatproof packing, thicker than 2221, used in combination with 2221 on Shipmate and similar stoves to get the spindle pointing forwards. Also useful on old, hard to seal burners. £ 1.40

H1035 Priming wick for underneath burner, makes priming with alcohol more efficient and safer. Premium quality £ 1.85

Also listed are Optimus caps. Please check with Mike to ensure they are suitable for your burners

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/exploded views/Optimus/207 burner.htm

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@kerophile , George,

Thank you, very much! I can see that I'm going to have to be patient in gathering all the small seals I need, in order to get this stove up and running again, and it's going to take a bit of time, even though I had hoped to have it running by the weekend. Are those alumin(i)um cone tightener seals proprietary to just stoves, or would a plumbing supply place have them? Also, on the Basecamp site, they offer two versions of the outer and inner caps, one being brassed steel, and the other being stainless steel. Both are listed as "Optimus". Does that mean that those parts of NOS, originally made by Optimus, and so marked? I would prefer OEM parts, over repros, if I can get them.

I'll cool my jets, after the cleaning is finished on this stove, and wait until I can source and take delivery of all the odd-ball seals and shims that are necessary to keep these stoves in good condition. Thanks for the head's up, my friend!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. When ordering from Basecamp, I used to have to call to place my orders. I wonder if they are computerized, now? Any thoughts? Thanks, again!

11. Tony Press

@Doc Mark

I always email Base Camp with a list of parts and their numbers.

I usually precede that list with any questions about specific parts.

Being a small operator, if I’ve not heard back, I send a “reminder”.

I’ve always had good service.

Cheers

Tony

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Tony Press , Hi, Tony,

Thanks, Mate! I was just on the Basecamp site, and read about doing just the thing that you suggest!! I'll keep cleaning up the bits, bobs, and parts, then set them aside until the proper gaskets, seals, pips and washers are in hand. Hadn't wanted to wait that long. But, I'd rather be patient, than mucking up something that I really want to turn out well!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. Tony Press

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Tony,

Got it!! I'll just be over here....... twiddling my thumbs.....!! :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Mark

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I recently emailed Base Camp and received replies and the order in a timely manner.

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, @snwcmpr !

Thanks, very much, for the timely information, Ken! I'll try to print out the parts list, and then make a list of all the things I need, then give Mike a shout. I appreciate hearing about how your order(s) at Basecamp have turned out for you! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

17. tretrop

tretrop Subscriber

I too is working on a 535, one of the spirtcups are bust, anyone know what spare to use? The Optimus 2208 is not easy to find

18. Andrew

@Doc Mark
    Hi
    The unmarked filler should be correct as my very little used stove has the same one.
    The outer burner caps are brass and have “Optimus” and “Primus” stamped on them.
    Since January when it arrived it is in almost exclusive duty in the kitchen.
    I waited about 3 months for my stove to arrive after paying for it so consider yourself blessed only waiting 18 days.

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Andrew ,

Good Morning,

Thanks for the clarification on the fuel cap. Much appreciated, and well done on getting your stove, and immediately putting it to good use in the kitchen. Sounds like you got a great one. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

20. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Stove Mates,

This morning, the continuing work on this 535 made a bit of progress, in that I am cleaning things up a bit. I found a few things that are odd to me, and one that is a real shame, but a minor one.

First, the Optimus burner and parts cleaned up much easier, and to a greater extent than did the Hipolito burner and parts. In fact, though, both burners have a fair amount of pitting, and I'm not sure what that means, exactly. But, all the parts went into the citrus bath and were immersed for 25 minutes therein. Afterwards, I removed each part, and gave it a good scrubbing with a copper brush, and a Scotch Brite pad. As noted, the Optimus parts came cleaner, but not clean enough. So, back into the bath they all went, for another 20 minutes, for a total of 45 minutes in the citric acid bath. The Optimus goodies responded much better, though there is a bit of coppery color on one of the priming tubes. All the parts that have suffered more, were on the Hippo burner. Interesting, no??!! :-k

Not wishing to do further citric acid stuff, at this time, I removed, scrubbed, and rinsed all the parts again. For two days, I've have had Meths in the fuel tank, and have been agitating the fuel around, trying to remove lots of black detritus. That's coming along pretty well, with less and less junk coming out of the tank. I'll keep doing that, until the Meths comes out clean, then call it done. Here's how they came out:

1-a.jpg

1-b.jpg

1-c.jpg

And, now, the parts.

1-d.jpg

You can see that both burner galleries are bent out of shape in a few places. I can fix that, but wonder why they both suffered that fate? Some previous owner did NOT Take care of this stove, other than the white enamel body, which is lovely.

1-e.jpg

1-f.jpg

1-g.jpg

1-h.jpg

1-i.jpg

1-j.jpg

See the caking of grime on the Hippo spirit cup? It's worse on the other side!

1-k.jpg

More time needed to get the caked-on grime off the Portuguese parts, that's for sure!! On to the priming tubes. You can easily see which one was on the Optimus and which one was on the Hipolito burner.

1-l.jpg

1-m.jpg

And, this is the part that I just can't understand. It's exceedingly odd that someone in the past decided to muck up what seems to me to be a great idea, in using a heavy spring wire to attach the priming tubes to each burner. Easy to remove for cleaning, or repair, and easy to reinstall, the way it was designed, anyway! So, either not understanding how these parts went on and off, or maybe thinking he could do better, the wires were twisted around the burners, deforming the spring wire, and making removal for service a real chore!!! Here are the mangled spring wires that held the priming tubes in place.

1-n.jpg

Oh, well..... I'll try to return these wires to their original shape, but it's quite possible that they may snap in the attempt!! Sheesh!! Thanks for continuing to check out this thread. I truly appreciate all the comments and suggestions, and can hardy wait to have this Old timer back up and running!! Flame shots to follow, upon completion of this fettle!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018