My first Primus 100

Discussion in 'Primus No:100' started by James Crabtree, Feb 15, 2016.

1. James Crabtree

Hello,

I am new to the group, recently purchased this beauty at the Revival store in Palm Springs area. I had never seen one before until that day, researched it briefly in the store and decided to buy it. I have always had fascination and appreciation for old stuff and I was excited to buy this stove. I had no idea how to start this thing, but thanks to this site, I was able to get her fired up! After about a few hours of shining and tweaking, she worked like a charm. The only issue I have is, the leather on the pump/plunger was not airtight to make it work for a long period. I soaked it in oil as suggested, still doesn't push the air in as it should. I now have the bug and want to purchase more! I am looking forward to learning from all of you. Thank you...

James Crabtree

20160214_220715.jpg

20160214_220832.jpg 20160214_220900.jpg 20160214_221220.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @James Crabtree

A very fine stove! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If I understand you correctly, you are not able to get much pressure into the tank. Is that correct?

If your leather cup is worn and cracked, that may be the problem. If so, get a new one. Someone here will step up to supply you one.

If your leather looks ok, try stretching it a bit wider (flare the cup) and gently replace the leather in the pump tube and try again.

If you are getting intermittent pumping pressure, a new leather will be the go.

If none of that (above) seems the problem, get back to us.

Welcome and cheers

Tony

3. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

These 100 series lipstick (vapor tube) stoves are in my top 5 favorites. Especially when they have both the cast iron plate and the two part brass silent cap. It's like getting two stoves in one. You may find the silent cap works better then the cast burner plate. They require less pressure maybe. The only problem with them is that the orifice becomes too big after a while and can't be replaced as easily as screwing in a new jet.
    You should get a few new cup washers. They should fit snug with some resistance as you slide it in. Does your stove lose pressure? If you find you do get a good flame but it slowly dies out then you have a leak somewhere. Fuel cap gasket, lead washer under the vapor tube or the NRV are the usual suspects. The vapor tube could also be worn out but if that's the problem you may not get a good flame at all.
    A few of the members here sell the parts you need. Good luck James and keep us posted.
    BTW your stove "S" is from 1928 in case you don't know
    IMG_1849.GIF

4. Steph

Welcome James,

Wow that's nice ! This gives me a excellent reason to work on mine, a 1929 version. Your stove will be the quality level that I have to reach ! Thank's for sharing.

P2150024.JPG

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Nice example. If your stove pressurises up nicely & then loses pressure your leather will be working fine. It's putting the air in but the pressure is being lost somewhere & the leather cup is not responsible for sealing it in. That is the job of the filler cap seal, burner seal & non-return valve at the bottom of the pump tube, as well as the joints on the tank itself

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Welcome, James. I'm very much looking forward to seeing future posts as your collection grows.

John

7. James Crabtree

I flared it a bit and it seems to work better. But I suspect it needs a new one. Do you know of a company that sells these? Also, is it normal for the pump tube to have some fuel leakage and sits at the bottom of the tube? As a result, there's some fuel leaking out the base of the screw-in nut.

It does not have a fuel cap gasket nor the lead washer and it is probably the reason for quick loss of flame. I have to constantly pump it to work effectively.

I also noticed that the flame works better on one side and not the other. Maybe it might work itself out? Thank you for the chart that gives me what year this model is...

I will need to order the parts noted above, if I can get some referral one of the members, I would be grateful.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, looking forward to hearing and perhaps meeting some of you in the long run! I have gifted this stove to my 7 yr old son who is a cubscout; he can't wait to show it off at our next camping with the troop. Again, much appreciated and happy hunting!

8. Tony Press

@James Crabtree

Judging by your description, you need to do a full service on your pump and its non-return valve (NRV). This is not hard, but requires the correct tool.

Fuel in the pump tube means that pressure is leaking back out of the tank past the NRV. This needs to be fixed in order for your stove to work properly, and for you to not have a disaster with fuel leaking everywhere.

While you are at it, change all of your seals, washers and pump leather.

The Fettle Box, who host this site (find the link on the home page), have what you require. If you are unsure, send them a messsage and they will give you the correct material.

There will be a post somewhere here about removing the NRV (suitable for a novice).

Cheers

Tony.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

10. Tony Press

@James Crabtree

Excellent advice from @kerophile (so i've edited this post)

My advice is, for a first time try, to put some penetrating oil in the pump tube for 24 hours before you try to take the NRV out.

Cheers

Tony

11. James Crabtree

Thanks a million! I will post a video soon, after the overhaul you recommended.

James

12. aomb30

13. idahostoveguy

Fantastic find and beautiful work on the stove. It looks unbelievable!

sam

14. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

beauty shine, I take old leathers and rough them up with some 180 sandpaper, then a good over night soak in Neats foot oil, then gently strech, and I agree, a full service is also a good way to go
    Jan