My first stove rebuild

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Stef, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Stef Netherlands

Hi guys,

It's time to rebuild my first stove. I bought this Phoebus 625 to practice on. Bought it here in the Netherlands online for 20 euro's. This is what I got in the mail.

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

2. Stef Netherlands

3. Stef Netherlands

Tin is in pretty bad shape. Perfect to practice on. No dents in the tank and the paint doesn't look to bad. Not sure if it's the original paint job. I tried the pump but it did not build up any pressure.

IMAG0144.jpg

This is what the pump looked like when I took it out off the tank.

Pump leather is gone and there's a crack in the bottom end of the pump.

IMAG0145.jpg

I'll need to find a replacement part if I want to finish the rebuild. Does anyone have a replacement lying around?

Greetings stef

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Stef. , welcome ot CCS. You should replace all the seals and washers in your “new” stove:

Phoebus 625 Washer Kit - The Fettlebox

From Fettlebox, see advert on Right side of the opening page.

The cracked item on the bottom of the pump tube is a NRV or non-return valve. You need to buy a generic replacement as Phoebus spares are not now generally available.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. Stef Netherlands

Thanks for the welcome and the reply kerophile. I'm ordering the washer Kitt for the phoebus and some other parts for my other stoves.

I bent the NRV back and it seems to close again (put some air pressure on it). If I don't find a replacement part for it I'll try it in its current state.

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi @Stef , the NRV is a safety-critical item on a pressure stove. If the valve fails you can get fuel into the pump cylinder and then through the pump cap all over the stove. With a petrol/ gasoline stove things can become exciting very quickly.

You are strongly advised to FIX the NRV before using this stove!

The parts of these NRVs might fit your stove:

PRIMUS STOVE NONE RETURN VALVE KEROSENE STOVE PARAFFIN STOVE PICNIC STOVE NRV | eBay

Your Phoebus stove has a removable pump tube so you have ready access to the NRV for inspection and repair.

Here is some background to the operation of NRVs here. The internals of the generic NRVs should be the same:

Non-return valves

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Stef ,

I echo @kerophile in welcoming you to CCS! The 625 is a great stove, and well worth fettling back to life. Kerophile was very diplomatic to phrase it the way he did, and my hat is off to him. BUT, since I'm from Texas, I'll tell you the way we would there: "Don't be a fool, Son, buy a new NRV and install it, BEFORE TRYING TO USE YOUR STOVE AT ALL"!! Burning down your home, or catching yourself on fire, are both horrid things, and replacing that worthless and mortally broken NRV on you stove is the ONLY way to keep from enduring such horrors!! Have fun with it, but don't take safety for granted. Believe me, it's not worth the cost, if things do South on you!!! Check the links that George kindly posted for you, and you will be off to a good, and safe, start! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

+1 on NRV replacement.

When it come to volatile flaming liquids err on the side of caution.

Looks like you've got a solid stove. Once it's rebuilt you'll have many years of faithful usage ahead of you.

9. Stef Netherlands

Thanks for the warnings guys!
    Glad that this forum exists with so many experts. Almost got myself hurt.

I'll order the new NRV and install it with the new washer kit. And post pictures before I start it up.

Many thanks, stef