My first Svea 123

Discussion in 'Svea No: 123 & 123R' started by firedog, Jul 13, 2021.

1. firedog United States

I turned 60 in May of this year. My fascination with stoves started in my early teens when backpacking with my father. Until I ran across this stove and forum--I thought I was the only person with this interest. This one was a Ebay find and I probably paid a bit too much but oh well. It is due here on Thursday and hope is in a good of condition as the pictures, description and conversations I had with seller portrayed. I've never owned one these and it felt right just biting the bullet and starting out with one in descent condition (fingers crossed). Look forward to any conversation--good or bad.

Question: I'm thinking this a "R" version?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2021
  2. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

You are in the right place. A lot of us here have said that. I’m on my phone’s screen, but it’s a 123r.
    If the valve stem is horizontal it’s a r, if it slants downward it’s pre r.
    Lots of good info and helpful people here.
    Most importantly, welcome to the forum!
    Ivan

3. firedog United States

Thanks, I'm sure I will have some more questions pertaining to this one

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Welcome, @firedog.

A Svea 123R is a good stove, have fun with it.

Cheers

Tony

5. Fettler United States

You've got the bug! (I can tell)

I wouldn't even consider going on a hike without my trusty Svea. I've tried a whole passle of different stoves.

6. firedog United States

I carried a MSR Whisperlite for many years. When I started venturing further from home, the canister stove proved much easier to please the TSA. One whiff of fuel and they freak out. Not a issue on the way out but much more a pain on the way back. Just knocking around here I use something different most every time. I've always been curious about the this Svea and ran across this one and the rest...

7. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

Nice condition, looks almost new one!
    Just to check the Safety return valve which is integrated on the fuel tank's Lid cap in advance to fire this up.

8. firedog United States

Seller said that owner only used a few times. Please, how to check above described valve. And, are there any gaskets that I might need to replace and source for same. Thanks in advance.

s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    If it’s reasonably new, and little used, you might not need to do much at all.

First, familiarise yourself with the instructions.

Second, to test for leaking washers, with the control spindle in the fully off position, cool your stove down in the refrigerator or icy water. Then submerge it in warm water and see if air escapes from the filler cap, the safety valve (on top of the filler cap), or the control spindle. If so, get back to us. If not:

Third, prime the stove (I use methylated spirits rather than Coleman fuel for priming as it doesn’t soot the stove up) and light as per instructions.

Cheers

Tony

10. firedog United States

Just received and unpackaged same. It is truly like new. I'm totally satisfied. Will test it tomorrow some time.

11. Yun124

Yun124 Subscriber

After Preheat the tank and viporizer under the burner bell in order to make pressure in the tank, then you can check the leakage from the SRV, the tank lid.
    Refer the photo you can see, tiny fire on the valve hole, which means the Gasket in the lid is not on proper condition.

20210714_155258.jpg

12. firedog United States

This gasket appears to be in "like new" condition. I will test as Tony described above. I would like to have spare parts to include this gasket. Are these parts readily available? Where?

Thanks in advance

13. firedog United States

Of course Amazon has one form Optimus. Is this compatible with this era of stove?