My humble collection

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by castillojer, Oct 2, 2016.

1. castillojer

My humble collection:

miscellaneous.jpg My collection.jpg OPTIMUS 00 a.jpg OPTIMUS 00 b.jpg OPTIMUS 99.jpg OPTIMUS 111.jpg Primus 71 big and small tanks.jpg

2. castillojer

Hello my name is Jeremy from Malta, this is my collection thus far.

The Optimus 99 was from my 96 year old grandfather.

3. Normo

Normo Subscriber

Anything more than 3 stoves is a collection! You have some good ones there. How about some flame shots?

I was in Malta about a month ago - loved it! All the steps in the Old City proved how unfit I am.

Norm

4. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Nice collection! The short tank Primus 71 has the old style case and key. Early '30's?
    What are the first 2 that are labeled miscellaneous?
    The 111 looks nice too. It looks like it has the slotted nrv and old style control knob and maybe the embossed case.

Ray

5. castillojer

Hi thanks for your comments. The 2 miscellaneous, I think pone is Russian and the other might be a Hippolito but I've had them put away for so long I forgot. I am at work at the moment but will check the 111 when I get home. What should I look for as I don't know. I love the 71's I have fond memories of going out bird shooting in the early mornings and a fry up of the birds using those stoves.

6. castillojer

is the opt 111 in action

7. castillojer

8. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce SotM Winner Subscriber

I don't think it's humble , nice collection , well done. Welcome to the site, you will find a friendly bunch with similar interests.

Cheers
    Rob

9. castillojer

Thanks Robert, I am looking for somebody to teach me to fettle stoves/lanterns and all things paraffin/kerosene. I am willing to fly wherever in Europe that somebody is willing to teach me.

10. castillojer

I'm sorry we didn't meet any plans to return?

11. NW Lady

So many interesting stoves! What wonderful stories they could tell. Thank you for sharing

12. Normo

Normo Subscriber

Unfortunately I was only in Valletta for a day mostly around the Upper Barracka Gardens. I spent the day walking around, visited a few things and saw the War Rooms. Except for the heat, I really liked it and would like to go back for a longer visit and see the whole island.

Unfortunately, I probably wont be able to return for some time.

Enjoy your stoves.

Norm

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, castillojer,

Welcome to CCS!! You have a great collection of wonderful stoves! No need to feel it is "humble", as all such collections are interesting and enjoyable to us!!! As far as learning to fettle, may I recommend you spend a good amount of time in the "Fettling Forum"? There is a ton of excellent information to be found right there, about all aspects of fettling stoves!! I have learned, and continue to learn, many skills for doing this, and I'm sure you would find it instructive, and very enjoyable, too!!!

Also, if you wish to meet other Stovies, and to learn, first-hand, I recommend you contact Spiritburner about the next Newcastle Stove Gathering. It happens in the Spring time, usually, and though I've never had the pleasure to attend (Yet!!), I always enjoy seeing the photos and reading the reports of all the learning and fun that goes on at that event!!! Since you are willing to fly, that would be a fantastic place to meet many of our English friends, and even some from Europe, and learn much about stoves, and having fun, all at the same time!!

Again, glad to have you here, and thanks for sharing your very nice collection with us!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Hi Jeremy,
    8 stoves is by no-means humble by way of a collection. Granted it might seem small relative to the unknown quantity of stoves in @Doc Mark 's collection but it's about the same number of "brassies" as I had until recently. I have a few butane and alcohol fuelled stove too and a selection of lanterns. I'm happy to let my scouts use most of mine (under supervision) and to be honest I wouldn't have so many if that were not the case.

Welcome to CCS. As suggested above, use the search engine to get most of the information that you need and then pick your questions carefully and you will normally get the correct answer, usually quite promptly. You should also look on you-tube where there are many examples of stove repair and lighting.

Regards
    John